ForumTopicPage
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Too Many Dropped calls in the Chicago Metro area

Journeyman

Too Many Dropped calls in the Chicago Metro area

Since I have the Samsung Galaxy SIII, I have been experiencing more dropped calls than ever due to not have any form of a 4G network available in the area. I never had as many dropped/dead zones with my HTC EVO 3D than I do now. When will the Chicago Metro and suburban areas will receive the 4G LTE? It's becoming ridiculous and annoying now...

6 REPLIES 6
Journeyman

Re: Too Many Dropped calls in the Chicago Metro area

YAVAUGHN wrote:

Since I have the Samsung Galaxy SIII, I have been experiencing more dropped calls than ever due to not have any form of a 4G network available in the area. I never had as many dropped/dead zones with my HTC EVO 3D than I do now. When will the Chicago Metro and suburban areas will receive the 4G LTE? It's becoming ridiculous and annoying now...

The dropped calls are due to a hand off issue that can only be resolved by upgrading every single cell tower's CDMA base station. LTE is expected to launch next month in Chicago.

Yavaughn,

I am so sorry to hear of your dropped call/intermittent service issues. I know this is an inconvenience for you and your family/friends etc.  We hear you, and I want you to know we are addressing the intermittent service that you have been experiencing.

To elaborate, yes the Chicago Market is one of our biggest markets that are currently being updated.  With the updates in progress we have pulled towers offline in order to rebuild the tower, which is allowing us to upgrade 3G, and enhance voice connectivity.  Once the upgrades are complete, we will launch 4G/LTE. 

Typically the Chicago Market has been included in the latest technology launches that we have done in the past, but we verified we needed to take it back to square one before launching 4G/LTE. 

I have a link to better expound on exactly what the updates consist of.

http://newsroom.sprint.com/press_kits.cfm?presskit_id=19

If you have any further questions or concerns please feel free to send me a private message

Journeyman

I'm still having the same issue and the 4g LTE still isn't up and runnig in the Chicago area. It's launched in Waukegan-Lake County, IL, which I don't live no where near that area. So how long before it's completed in the Chicago area now???

I will be glad to check the towers in your area and see if there is a completion date for the network vision. Can I please get some cross streets close to you including the city, state and zip code?

Thanks,

Ray

Highlighted
Journeyman

Ray -

I'd really like to believe you on this, but my coverage in Chicagoland has been getting worse since about August of 2011, and now it takes 3 calls back to complete a full conversation. Back in February, I was hoping that phone upgrades (we were both on Blackberries and now on a Photon and a Galaxy SII) and adding a femtocell (which has its own issues) to our house, as well as the assurance from the store that it was a temporary tower issue would help solve the issue. But, of course, our service has actually gotten worse, and my wife and I had to call each other 5 times in the past 10 minutes until we just gave up trying to get a reliable connection. This isn't WiMax issues, either. Since coverage is spotty on that, and not being upgraded ever again, we keep our 4G toggled off most of the time.

I posted on this about a month ago on both the terrible service and weird femtocell issues without any response. Both my wife and I feel duped into signing new contracts with Sprint, and now you've stuck us with bad service and more than a year to wait until we can finally drop you. Does this sound like a fair contract?

Journeyman

Glad to hear it's not just us who has dropped calls and crazy stories about tower repairs in our neighborhood!

My wife and I both recently bought new phones (Samsung Galaxy S II and Photon) and we have an alarming amount of dropped calls.  Just today I had received a call only to have my phone disconnect 2 minutes later without warning or reason.  When I called the person back I was abruptly disconnected again.  This happened three more times within a ten minute conversation and around four times a day.  It gets to the point where I will stop calling back because I am tired and embarrassed to be apologizing for how terrible my phone service is.  On top of this the internet will randomly disconnect from the network for minutes at a time claiming no network is available when I am standing near cell towers.   I had a HTC Evo before this that never had an issue.  I was sold this new Galaxy that is somehow completely crippled by problems to the point where my three year old work phone will usually outproduce it in voice and internet speed. 

About a month ago a service rep claimed that our neighborhood was under maintenance and that is why my calls dropped that day.  What he didn't understand was that our problem has been non stop since we got our new phones.  This service is a complete joke.   I feel like I have been more than patient waiting for you to provide me with the service quality I am paying for.  Ironically while she was trying to defend your company during our last conversation tonight, the call cut out on us three times. 

We have had enough and we are searching for a new reliable network this weekend because your network here is a mess.

Community News

This is a PUBLIC ARCHIVE board, all artciles are read only.

Please click here to search the Active Community.