cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Towers Down Elgin, IL

Journeyman

Towers Down Elgin, IL

I live in Elgin, IL. Let me tell you the fun time I've been having with sprint this week!

I had the HTC Evo and had horrid service.  I was told it was the phone. I just purchased the iphone 4s on Sunday. Ever since then, EVERY SINGLE CALL I MAKE HAS DROPPED/FAILED. I am not overexaggerating, and it is a huge problem for me because I am a substitute teacher, so their automated system calls me for jobs, and since the calls have been failing, I have missed three jobs this week because when I "hang up" they call the next person in line!

EXTREMELY frustrated, I called customer service.  The lady on the phone insisted that there were no towers down around me, and said doing a hard reset on the phone would fix EVERYTHING.  After TWO HOURS on the phone, she reset my phone three different times and could never get it to connect back to the Sprint network! So now, instead of having a phone that kind of worked, I had no phone at all! She said the only thing I can do was go to a repair center to get my device back up and running.  Convenient, considering the closest one is 25 minutes away.  She decided a $15 credit to my account would be enough, but how about the past 5 days I haven't had service? I should not have to pay for that either.

I drove to the store that is 25 minutes away, and everything there was down! I then had to drive another 15 minutes to the next location! He finally got my phone up and running, but did say there are a TON of towers going through updates and being fixed.  He said this problem may persist two weeks! TWO WEEKS?! WHY DIDN'T SPRINT INFORM US ABOUT THIS?! I cannot work without my phone. I am scared to trust the two weeks and then it be too late to back out of my new contract I just signed.  I would definitely switch over to Verizon, but I am on a single plan and Sprint is the cheapest.  Do I risk the two weeks and then it not being any better and then it's too late to back out of my contract?  Someone help!

11 REPLIES 11
Journeyman

Re: Towers Down Elgin, IL

We were told june.  We couldn't use our phones for a week, so we left on Sunday and went to Verizon.  No dropped calls at all!   Sprint is horrible.  I really dont' knwo how they can get away with this.

Journeyman

Did you have to pay the early termination fee?

Journeyman

let me tell you we have been having the same issue regarding dropped calls in Joliet.

For the PAST MONTH. the phone is absolutely USELESS.

it rings once or twice, and drops.

make a call out, say hellp can i speak with XXXX and drops

just a drop after drop

like 2 drops a minute.

Its an absolute JOKE.  get out if u can.

Journeyman

I did, switched to Verizon today and couldn't be happier.

Journeyman

Erical29 I feel your pain. I called today and i was told July. the service has been horrible. Even though Sprint recognizes that the service is sooooo bad, they still wont let customers out of their contract. Now is that the way to do business, no!!

Journeyman

File a complaint with the Better Business Bureau. I'm in Shorewood Il and my service is the same as described, useless. Filed a complaint and I got calls and emails from corporate while on vacation last week, will be calling him back tomorrow.

Journeyman

They have been upgrading in my area 60140 since March.  The service has been just horrible.  I am ready to cancel all five lines.  I called customer service and they told me they were done with the upgrades.  My calls still drop all the time and I get my text messages hours later.  I have to go outside to make calls when I am at my sisters house and cannot make calls from my office at work or get any kind of internet connection.   When I call customer service they only want to give me a $25.00 credit.  I have only been able to use my phone half of the time yet expected to pay my full bill.  That is unacceptable.  I pay 250.00 a month for service I cant use and am told I can only receive a 25.00 credit?  Time to start looking at a new phone provider.  I am willing to pay the 600 in early termination fees to have a service that works.  Sorry I ever left US Cellular I never had dropped calls.  Looks like I am going back to them.

Journeyman

1211keene wrote:

File a complaint with the Better Business Bureau. I'm in Shorewood Il and my service is the same as described, useless. Filed a complaint and I got calls and emails from corporate while on vacation last week, will be calling him back tomorrow.

I don't know why people keep recomending this, it's not going to help anything and the most it can possibly do is end up costing Sprint money in fines which will just further delay the upgrades. Sprint is working to replace every single cell tower in the Chicago market. You will see better service. These issues are caused by upgrades, not by Sprint's supposed inability to provide stable service. I have not had one dropped call since being with Sprint.

Highlighted
Journeyman

I don't know why people keep recomending this, it's not going to help anything and the most it can possibly do is end up costing Sprint money in fines which will just further delay the upgrades.

Well my friend, let me explain.  The purpose of the BBB is "not to act as an advocate for businesses or consumers, but to be a mutually trusted intermediary basing neutrality to resolve disputes, facilitate communication, and to provide information on ethical business practices."  When I have to spend a month getting the run around from Sprint as to the truth behind why my phone is not working (it took that long to finally be informed of the Network Vision upgrade) and then am not provided any answers on what to do in the meantime when my phone is basically rendered useless, it is at that point that I begin to demand answers.  Since Sprint cannot seem to provide them, it is at that point that I (and clearly many others as it seems to irk you) feel the need to bring in an intermediate.  While you claim that it is not going to help anything, it is certainly helping me to get my issue resolved or at the very least looked at and taken into consideration.  And I will be frank in saying that I could care less if that costs Sprint money in fines and delays upgrades.  Perhaps some more proactive planning Sprint's behalf would have prevented all the disgruntled customers not getting service.  It is not my problem if they lose money based on complaints, it is theirs.  If they provide proper service, they will not get complaints.  Simple as that.  And as a side note, yesterday alone (July 24th) 37 complaints were filed based on problems with product or service.  That certainly says something.

Sprint is working to replace every single cell tower in the Chicago market. You will see better service. These issues are caused by upgrades, not by Sprint's supposed inability to provide stable service. I have not had one dropped call since being with Sprint.

Perhaps the fact you have not had a single dropped call is why you cannot relate to the problems others are having.  Maybe you would like to do a little experiment where you take my phone for a day, drop call after call (that is if you are lucky enough to be able to make one, that is a whole other problem!), not have calls come in at all, instead just go straight to voicemail, and have your texting not work.  Now try that day after day.  Let me ask you a completely serious question in which I would like a response.  What would you do if you were in my shoes and had this problem day after day with nobody from Sprint able to do anything except tell you it will be better in November? I anxiously await your reply.

Journeyman

I wouldn't want to be in your shoes but I also don't make enough phone calls to even have something like dropped calls cause to much of an issue for me. The problems you're having are due to the upgrades, you'll just have to wait it out or bother the right people to get a decent credit on your account. When you call don't be irate or angry even in the slightest, these CSRs get treated like absolute crap all day long they don't want be nice to anyone who isn't nice to them. Call customer retentions and ask for an Airave to alleviate your issues while at home.

Journeyman

See that is the problem.  I do not desire to have a phone that doesn't work until November and "wait it out."  I do not have a landline because we have always relied on our cellphone service (which in 10+ years as a Sprint customer has never been this bad), so I rely heavily on my cellphone.  Customers also  do not want to figure out who the "right people" are to get a discount.  If you read these forums (which it is clear you do), everyone is being offered a $25 credit.  That is a 10% one-time discount on my bill.  Are you serious?  That is a slap in the face when my phone is working maybe 25% of the time.  And trust me, I started out nice, but when all I was being offered was $25 and no answers that is when I moved on.  That is your answer as to why people are going to the BBB.

As a sidenote, another local friend having major issues with her Sprint service was just told it is back ordered.

Community News

This is a PUBLIC ARCHIVE board, all artciles are read only.

Please click here to search the Active Community.