cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Very Slow 3g Data Speeds -- you too ?

Highlighted
Journeyman

Very Slow 3g Data Speeds -- you too ?

I just got my HTC Evo 4g yesterday (purchased directly from Sprint online).  I am a new Sprint customer -- have been with Verizon Wireless for a while using a Motorola Droid.

I am located in the northern part of Westchester County, NY.

The data connection speed (especially on the download side) I have been getting with the Evo using 3g (no 4g available in my local area yet -- so I can't comment on that) are not very good.  I have been testing this from my house which is located in a "good" coverage area (according to Sprint's coverage maps) and I have about 3-4 bars of signal strength indicated on the Evo (although it does fluctuate a bit -- as low as 1 bar as high as 5).

I still have my Verizon device (Moto Droid) so I was able to test them side by side simultaneously.

Using the SpeedTest.Net (Ookla) Android app on the Evo, I have tried a wide variety of servers.  This morning my download speeds ranged from about .1 Mbps to about .67 Mbps with the average being about .46 Mbps.

On my Motorola Droid (Verizon) I am also located in a "good" coverage area and average about 3-4 bars of signal strength (although the Droid only uses a 4 bar scale -- so perhaps my VZW signal is a bit better than my Sprint signal on the Evo). Using the same setup on the Verizon Motorola Droid my download speeds ranged from about 1.01 Mbps to 2.29 Mbps.

Now I never expected that Sprint would be as fast (and I realize that my signal might be a bit stronger on the VZW device) but this difference is astonishing !  On average, my download speeds over VZW are 3-4 times as fast ??!!

When actually browsing the Web using the standard (built-in) browser on both devices -- the difference is quite noticeable -- If I try to load a fairly intensive page (like something from the regular CNN site) the Droid is finished loading the page while the Evo hasn't even received enough data to begin rendering the page.  The latency is also much higher on the Evo -- one can sometimes literally wait 2-3 seconds before data starts being downloaded.

Signal strength issues aside (which in reality may not account for very much of the difference -- since one doesn't necessarily need many bars to get decent data speeds) how can this be explained ??

I'm still in my 30 day trial period with Sprint and I'm not sure what to do -- whether to stay with Verizon or not -- I prefer the Evo as a device over the Droid -- but a great device without a good connection is meaningless. I called Sprint Tech Support and they really didn't help much nor provide any explanation -- they simply had me pull the battery, updated my profile and reboot -- didn't really help.  They then tried to attribute my results to the Speedtest.Net app (saying it was an "unsupported 3rd party app") !!!  (even though (a) almost all apps one can install on the device are "3rd party" (b) speedtest (ookla) is industry standard software for data speed measurement (c) all other apps on my Evo also receive (and send) data slowly (d) doesn't explain why the VZW results were 4x as fast (since it is a "3rd party app" to that device/network as well)

This is the typical unresponsive pass the buck answer one might, unfortunately, expect.  I was under the impression that Sprint was trying to (a) improve their customer service (and its reputation) and (b) improve their network.

Does anyone have similar experiences ?  Is this all due to heavier than normal network traffic due to the Evo rollout ?? Is Sprint normally this slow ?

I'd be willing to accept that my speeds might go down a bit with Sprint, but I was expecting something like a 10-15% reduction in speed. As it is, Verizon is giving me speeds 3-4 times as fast.  I've been using smartphones on different carriers for years and expect differences, fluctutations, etc...

but this level of data connection is not really acceptable to me.  Will it get better ?? (other than waiting for 4g -- which probably won't come to my area for a long time, if ever -- since it is only scheduled to rollout in NYC towards the end of 2010).

Many people have complained about the $ 10 premium data surcharge for the Evo.  I am certainly not happy about it, but it becomes even more absurd when I can't even get decent 3g service while I wait for the possible eventual implementation of 4g in my area. I'd be happy to receive 3g speeds IN LINE with what Sprint publicly advertises for their 3g (see attached pic).  Since (a) I am in an area of supposedly good coverage according to Sprint's own coverage map and (b) they publicly advertise 3g speeds averaging between .6 and 1.4 Mbps (peaking at 3.1 Mbps) that is what I DESERVE to receive. If they don't deliver on this they are falsely selling a product -- they should either lower their advertised speeds or change their coverage maps.

Any ideas, comments much appreciated. I'd especially like to have a response from a Sprint employee which did anything other that deny the problem exists or pass the buck to an irrelevant, unrelated cause.

Message was edited by: nawells1

372 REPLIES 372
Highlighted
Journeyman

Just a reply to all....And or status update...there is none...3g data speeds are still horrendous ....If I am not able to connect to 4g or on my home wifi I just don't get online because it will just time out whatever sight I am going too. It is appalling they continue to charge people for a premium service that isn't even to the level of sub par yet....

Highlighted
Journeyman

3G speeds in East Central Missouri have been horrible for the past 10 days. I'm a new customer and was very impressed....initially. I 'm almost under the impression I'm being intentually throttled back now that I'm out of my 30 day grace period.

Highlighted

pnyxxpr3ss, my apologies for the issues that you are experiencing with your data. I can assure you that we do not throttle data speeds, it is truely unlimited and we don't slow you down based on your usage. I can check your area for any network issues if you don't mind posting a zip. Thanks.

Highlighted
Journeyman

How is 77064?

Website shows tower upgrades all around me.   And I even got good speeds from time to time but usually in the afternoon it slows considerably (about 500K just now).  It still slows enough to be unusable for videos at many times.

If it is network issues then they seem to be recurring and cyclic.

Highlighted
Journeyman

Folks;

do you realize that over 600,000 consumer are complaining about this slow data so called 3G. the transfer rate for Sprint3G service.

this company is a total scam. they are liars dishonest cheaters, etcs . I don’t want to go to detail what they did to us from lying to steal our account from Verizon, "BTW: they are VErizon sister company". The made us to switch from Verizon purchasing our new Iphone4's and getting Iphone4S, which we paid extra money to do that. They said that they have a program to pay off our early cancelation Fee to Verizon, which after weeks back and forth they apologized with regret they didn't pay it. they cheat us with our full unlimited plan with Verizon they said that we will have the same plan for everything,,,,, but wasn't true We have got a bill first month for double the amount of our total plan service cost from 400$ to 960$. I can go on and on... This service transfer suppose to not only cost me nothing and be lower price from previous company, it costs me more than 4000$. yes 4,000$.

come back to service half of the time I don’t have any Reception or half way with no communication and worse of worse is 3G.

there is no 3G folks. Now my suggestion to all of you there test could be made in regard to speed of data transfer. According to Government standard these internet upload and download have to meet certain criteria in order to be approved,

If we get together and take an action altogether we can and we must stop this rubbery by this company for millions of millions of dollars that they charge us every month and get our money back or at least stop them.

we are over million consumer

Highlighted
Journeyman

techsavvy101, My zip code is 63087. The tower is actually south of  the zipcode at hwy US67 and hwy H. I haven't measured speed tonight but it took just under 4 minutes to get logged in and start responding to this post.

One item I have notice I never get a an IP the same subnet.

84.x.x.x

174.x.x.x

173.x.x.x

70.x.x.x

I got a 107.x.x.x tonight first time for this IP range. 70.x.x.x is the worst! If I get a 70 I just keep rebooting until I get something else.

Highlighted
Journeyman

Can someone please check the status on 32301 (no data connection at all) and 32303 (very poor speeds).  This has been going on for a few months.  What am I paying $90 a month for?  WI-FI only?

Thanks!!!

Highlighted
Journeyman

techsavvy101, I'm also in East Central Missouri, and my Nexus S 4G is getting plain awful 3G data speeds.  I've only noticed it in the past few days.  I'm in the 63376 ZIP code.  I called Customer Care this afternoon, and they say there's nothing wrong with the tower near my address. 

Highlighted
Journeyman

Also having 3g problems at 63376 but cant connect in Chesterfield at all anymore, so its more than just one tower.

Highlighted
Journeyman

Can you check 3G service problems at 28110.  I am in one area that I cannot get any 3G on my phone.  Instersection of Independence blvd and Dickerson blvd. 

Highlighted
Journeyman

I live in Washington and my 3G and phone call drop calls a lot around my house and mostly I only have 1 bar on my iPhone. Zip code is 98208

Highlighted
Journeyman

i agree its always been they really need to put some more time in the 3g network!!!

Community News

This is a PUBLIC ARCHIVE board, all artciles are read only.

Please click here to search the Active Community.