cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Very Slow 3g Data Speeds -- you too ?

Wizard

Re: Very Slow 3g Data Speeds -- you too ?

No one banging the tower on a Saturday evening (but only 7 samples ~7 minutes apart). Where I live, Saturday night always pulls in the fastest 3G speeds. BTW, that's about the fastest you'll ever get.

Journeyman

Did you see the decimal places in the speeds I posted?

Journeyman

Yes, your speeds are terrible just like mine.

Journeyman

I was Sprint customer for 7 years, today i decided to cancel my contract with them and moved to StraightTalk [...]The thruth is Sprint oversold its capacity and now the 3G speed completely SUCKS, but they will never admit it. As many others i called customer service to report the 3G issue but they pretend not to know anything about it, they said : "We have no reports about that problem", "may be is an outage in your area", they even told me to "purchase another phone, that may help",  that kind of answer made me cancelled my service,  the way how Sprint handle this situation, denying everything and make me look as a fool who requires counseling or a psychologist.  With StraightTalk i have 3Mb average download speed during the day  and 7 MB at night, any carrier can provide better 3G speed than Sprint (even the cheaper ones). I also traveled to my country in south america, you can call it a third world country but the 3G speeds there are 1Mb average, A THIRD WORLD CARRIER HAS FASTER 3G SPEED THAN SPRINT IN UNITED STATES !!!!!  ..

In the other hand, i will have to pay $70 termination fee, for not continue with the "Sprint 3G SCAM" , they also will continue billing me for the next 25 days ( even if i don't have sevice any more ) because they say "We can only stop the billing  when the current  billing cycle ends, thats Sprint Policy" ...  [...]

[...]

SPRINT : If you wana talk to me, use my community login, i'm very easy to locate ....

Message was edited by: mapesy

Journeyman

I hate to break this to you, but Straight Talk android phones use Sprint's 3G network.  You'll get the same speeds and service but won't be able to get roaming.

If you want great speeds wherever you go and great coverage, you need to get Verizon.  Check out the reports at RootMetrics to see what I mean.

Journeyman

this is false information Straight talk uses either T-mobile or AT&T's network depending on phone type and location. CDMA networks aren't capable of 7mb/s the max is only 3.2.

Journeyman

I know they use sprint for the android phones but i purchase a Sim card (GSM) it works with AT&T's signal, i put it in my Galaxy S II abd works great.  I recommend to avoid CDMA phones and look for the GSM phones or Sim cards only.

I went to a Verizon store first, the service is A1 but an android smartphone with hotspot and 4 gigas of data cost $130 monthly, that"s why i decided to try StraightTalk GSM service, is my second month and everyhting is working fine.

Thanks for your observation, is good to see the whole picture.

Journeyman

Eworthin85 wrote:

this is false information Straight talk uses either T-mobile or AT&T's network depending on phone type and location. CDMA networks aren't capable of 7mb/s the max is only 3.2.

Only their non-Android SIM card service uses AT&T / T-mobile.  As I stated, their android phones use Sprint's 3G network.  And actually, your information is wrong in other ways:  EVDO Rev. A network's max download is 3.1 mbps.  EVDO Rev. B networks with a standard 3 carrier setup max out at 14.7 mbps.  But people who know anything about technology would prefer CDMA over GSM for voice calling-- the 2G GSM network is very, very poor for voice calls.  GSM's 3G technology (GPRS) is actually a W-CDMA technology, but their 2G technology (still widely deployed by AT&T and T-mobile) is very substandard compared to any CDMA technology.

Wizard

Further, Straight Talk using a non-Android SIM and smartphone; I wonder if those glory days will come to a quick end. There's no way America Movil will be allowed to freely and cheaply plunder AT_T's high speed 3G+ data networks with iPhones and unlimited data for $45/mo. for long. At best, data caps are on the way.

Journeyman

Eww guacála! a sprint/CDMA boy. You are once again incorrect,you don't have to buy those Android phones that Straight Talk sells, you can bring in any At&t, T-mobile or unlocked android,windows or iPhone and use it on their network. Sure EvDO rev.B supports up to 14.7mbps but no carrier in the US has not or has no plans to deploy it. Furthermore HSPA(+) supports speeds up to 42mbps (T-mobile's implementation) and can be upgraded further to 84mbps. My voice quality with T-mobile is better than it ever was with sprint at least in the last year or so and my speeds on T-mobile when throttled are still faster than sprint 3G. So how's that for substandard?

Journeyman

Dude I am on it now and it is pretty good! Straiight talk blows Sprint speeds out of the water. Here is a speed test comparision I ran with my new galaxy note on Straight Talk and my Epic 4g Touch. This is the way a carrier should be. I don't need thier subsidised phones. Ill pay full price the carrier just needs to shut up and deliver good speeds. Data caps were already on Straight talk, and they do not have the luxury of keeping people around with contracts. Even if they did throttle data it can't be worse than sprint speeds. [...]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bsNggiZeZ6I&feature=plcp&context=C4dd8933VDvjVQa1PpcFOnKGdrFPm6uWACzA...

Message was edited by: mapesy

Highlighted
Journeyman

Not in the US they aren't CDMA is only good if you you have the new CDMA advanced which Sprint clearely will by pass for this stupid 4g marketing monicer. EVDO would save a lot of battery LTE will destroy it. This is why I got the Unlocked Galaxy Note for Straight Talk it does not have that stupid LTE BS HSPA + is more than fine for me. I can stream Netflix with no stopping. Try that with Sprint 3g.

Community News

This is a PUBLIC ARCHIVE board, all artciles are read only.

Please click here to search the Active Community.