cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Very disappointed with Sprint 4G

Journeyman

So, I switched from Verizon last year becuase Sprint had rolled out 4G and was told at two different Sprint Stores and by a number of customer service reps at Sprint, that it would be available in my area (San Diego, CA) by the end of 2010.  It is now June of 2011 and Verizon launched their 4G LTE months ago and here I sit with a 4G device (Evo) paying an additional $10 per month because it is a 4G device, but still not a hint of 4G.

Argh!!

23 REPLIES 23
Wizard

dadof5now,

I'm sorry that your frustrated with the fact that 4G has not yet made it's way to your market. If you haven't done so, you can always register for updates at www.sprint.com/4g.

I want to clarify that we do not charge an additional $10.00 for "4G". We charge an additional $10.00 for Premium Data for Smartphones as those devices require a richer data experience. I don't want you to be under the impression that we would charge you for something that you aren't receiving.

I know how frustrating the overall wait for 4G is. Hang in there and make sure that you're registered for updates.

--William

Highlighted
Journeyman

Re: Very disappointed with Sprint 4G

I know I'm arguing with a Sprint rep, but yeah, you kind of are charging people for having a 4G phone. When the Evo came out it was the first 4G and the only smartphone that you charged the extra "enhanced data" charge for, all the other smartphones were the same rate. So in a way you were charging people extra for having a 4G phone, since most of us with an Evo have no access to 4G. Remember it was a good 6 months after the Evo came out that Sprint announced that all contracts with smartphones were going to be assessed a $10 charge after a certain date, except those signed before that date. So that means for people like me, who are on a family plan that signed a contract before that date, are still paying the superfluous "enhanced data" charge. I'm using 3g just like the rest of the smartphones on my plan, but I have to pay the extra charge because some day, Sprint might have 4G in my area and then I'll be getting what I'm paying for now. You shouldn't tell people that they aren't paying for something they aren't receiving, because in actuality,a lot of us are paying just for having a phone that is capable of using 4G, whenever that might show up.

Journeyman

Hit the nail right on the head, Nate.  When I got my EVO, I got the same story.  I guess that's why there is a class action suit in the works.

Journeyman

Unfortunately this seems to be the case with Detroit and our surrounding suburbs the coverage that was put in place has a very small foot print based on what my Sensorly app displays and although the Clear map states the coverage to be extremely large this seems to be totally incorrect for example the Clearwire map  displays coverage for 4G devices in my area but my EVO does not pickup a signal and to back this up my Sensorly app also states no coverage in the area, for some reason the Clearwire map is displaying incorrect information so with lack of  coverage and incorrect 4G maps makes it difficult to decide on should I purchase the upcoming EVO 3D device or hold off if I’m going to be stuck with the same 3G coverage for another year. I believe much of the problems with the Clearwire 4G rollout has to do with lack of funds and Sprint protecting themselves from the cash strapped company they don’t want to take on to much liability but at the same time have an obligation to provide customers with the latest 4G technology and I don’t think we will see LTE technology anytime soon under Sprint this would involve having manufactures switch all devices over to LTE radios and upgrading the existing infrastructure to LTE which would put Sprint at the back of the line unless they partner up with someone.

Wizard

I would just like to reiterate that the premium data charge doesn't and never has had anything to do with 4G capability. Our first WiMax(4G) device was launched over a year prior to the addition of the Premium Data charge. To this date, there is no additonal fee for WiMax data cards. All smartphones regardless of WiMax capability are charged this fee.

Journeyman

I am very disappointed with the 4g coverage as well.  I can't even use my phone until I get to a big city, and then sometimes it still doesn't work!  And I think that the $10 premium data charge is ridiculous!

Wizard

Re: Very disappointed with Sprint 4G

Yeah, I dunno why SprintCares and other reps keep saying we are not paying $10 for the 4G.  Excuse me, Premium Data is 4G and considering that 4G is new.  That itself is Premium.  So, please, Sprint Reps, do not try to twist it.  The $10 charge started with the 4G services and phones.

Why are they twisting it around?  They want to get away with it, because their promised 4G rollout has been extremely slow.  Its an insult to us.  So, yeah, none of us are stupid, Sprint. Premium Data is 4G and with that, it brings in higher data usage.

SprintCares, don't stick with what your supervisors told you to tell us. :-)

Journeyman

But what good is the extra charge if you can't even get on the Internet, etc from your EVO shift.  My boyfriend's boost mobile is 100% better than mine and it even has service when we are miles beyond city limits and deep into wooded areas.  Sprint is just a very careless wireless network and I am fed up with the service.  I have been told on numerous occasions by sprint that I am in a 4g area, ok then why can't I use my phone?????  And my phone bill is outrageous with extra charges for the sorry service that I receive.

Wizard

We tell you the truth:

1. We had a number of 4G devices long before the premium data charge was ever conceived.
  2. Most of the devices that require the premium data add-on are not even 4G compatable.
  3. We have many 4G devices that do not require the premium data add-on.
Wizard

Btw, another evidence that Premium Data = 4G = $10 is the Virgin Mobile owned by Sprint.  I was just looking at the site (virginmobileusa.com) and see the smartphones (Optimus S and Intercept) are not charged such fee.  My guess they are not a 4G capable phones?  I don't see any mention of 4G...only 3G.  And to add insult to injury to the contracted customers, the base price for unlimited everything is $25.  They have a higher plan for more Talk minutes.  Okay, why should contracted customers pay more than people not having a nice credit stuck on prepaid?  Pathetic, I say.

Wizard

I posted before seeing your latest post, DONALIEN.  Interesting.

But still... Contracted customers forced to pay more than prepaid customers?  lol

Community News

This is a PUBLIC ARCHIVE board, all artciles are read only.

Please click here to search the Active Community.