ForumTopicPage
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Voice and 3G coverage being drastically reduced

Journeyman

Voice and 3G coverage being drastically reduced

This is horrid news. 10+ years with Sprint looks like it was worthless. Premier Sprint customer... worthless. I've been having issues withr eception at my work, where Verizon is full strength. Looks like Verizon is my only choice now. Yay to data limits.

Journeyman

Re: Voice and 3G coverage being drastically reduced

gth333 wrote:

Luckily, I dont frequent the midwest and west regions very often.

Ditto. I don't have any plans to visit the Dakotas, Wyoming or Montana anytime soon so thankfully this doesn't affect me.

Wizard

Re: Voice and 3G coverage being drastically reduced

rawvega wrote:

gth333 wrote:

Luckily, I dont frequent the midwest and west regions very often.

Ditto. I don't have any plans to visit the Dakotas, Wyoming or Montana anytime soon so thankfully this doesn't affect me.

When I read those, for some reason I heard the echo of the famous Martin Niemöller quote...

Tom

Journeyman

Voice and 3G coverage being drastically reduced

I have an older everything family plan and i believe it does include unlimited data roaming (according to my bill @sprint.com}.  i have never used google maps, but like you i still have the palm pre and use the navigator pretty regular.  if not driving, simply searching for an establishment's phone number or location.  the nav is a super built in app.

Wizard

Re: Voice and 3G coverage being drastically reduced

BEAZLEYJJ wrote:

I have an older everything family plan and i believe it does include unlimited data roaming (according to my bill @sprint.com}.  i have never used google maps, but like you i still have the palm pre and use the navigator pretty regular.  if not driving, simply searching for an establishment's phone number or location.  the nav is a super built in app.

Your plan may say unlimited data and include roaming, but the Sprint Nextel Terms and Conditions (the actual contract) says something else.

Here's my plan:

Plan details

  • SERO Premium
  • 500 Anytime Minutes
  • Nationwide Long Distance Included
  • America - Roaming Included
  • Unlimited Any Mobile, Anytime
  • Unlimited SMS Text Messaging
  • Unlimited Picture Mail
  • Unlimited Data Usage
  • GPS Navigation
  • Caller ID
  • Call Waiting
  • Three-Way Calling
  • Voicemail

Add-on services:

  • Unlimited Nights&Weekends-7pm    
  • Data Usage    
  • Unlimited Messaging    
  • Sprint Navigation    
  • Picture Mail    

And here is the relevant paragraph from the Terms and Conditions that apply to ALL customers, ALL plans:

Off-network Roaming: The primary use of your Device must be for domestic purposes within the Sprint-owned network. Domestic means use in the 50 United States and U.S. Territories (except Guam). Sprint reserves the right, without notice, to deny, terminate, modify, disconnect or suspend service if off-network usage in a month exceeds: (1) voice: 800 min. or a majority of minutes; or (2) data: 300 megabytes or a majority of kilobytes. The display on your device may not always be on and will not indicate whether you will incur roaming charges. You can monitor usage online through My Account. Roaming is not available with single-band phones, or to customers who reside or whose primary use is outside an area covered by the Nationwide Sprint Network. Sprint may limit or terminate service if you move outside of the Sprint owned-network.

Tom

Voice and 3G coverage being drastically reduced

@rawvega - but it may affect you. It is not only North Dakota, Wyoming, and Montana, review the map the current coverage map that Tomas posted (and can be found on Sprint's site as well). Nearly "one-half" of the United States is now "roaming!" I am still confused how Sprint (as a "Nation wide carrier") has not announced a plan to address this issue. Because the majority of my service is not impacted at this time, I will continue with my current contract "but" will be revieiwng Sprint's coverage as the contracts on all of our phones nears their end date. I am not upgrading my phone (actually could have upgraded in February) to avoid an additional 2 years on my contract.

Journeyman

Voice and 3G coverage being drastically reduced

TOMAS_ wrote:

rawvega wrote:

gth333 wrote:

Luckily, I dont frequent the midwest and west regions very often.

Ditto. I don't have any plans to visit the Dakotas, Wyoming or Montana anytime soon so thankfully this doesn't affect me.

When I read those, for some reason I heard the echo of the famous Martin Niemöller quote...

Tom

Trying to make any type of comparison between the loss of Alltel coverage in the Dakotas, Wyoming and Montana to the rise of Nazism is Germany is probably a good indication that you maybe you should step back for a moment and gain some perspective, Tom...

Journeyman

Voice and 3G coverage being drastically reduced

http://support.sprint.com/global/images/support/data_before_after_en_v1.jpghttp://support.sprint.com/global/images/support/voice_before_after_en_v1.jpg

mrcminnesota wrote:

@rawvega - but it may affect you. It is not only North Dakota, Wyoming, and Montana, review the map the current coverage map that Tomas posted (and can be found on Sprint's site as well). Nearly "one-half" of the United States is now "roaming!" I am still confused how Sprint (as a "Nation wide carrier") has not announced a plan to address this issue. Because the majority of my service is not impacted at this time, I will continue with my current contract "but" will be revieiwng Sprint's coverage as the contracts on all of our phones nears their end date. I am not upgrading my phone (actually could have upgraded in February) to avoid an additional 2 years on my contract.

But it is primarily the Dakotas, Montana and Wyoming that were affected as shown by the maps above and I as I stated, I have zero plans to relocate to or visit those areas so it's a non-factor for me. For those that the loss of native coverage in those areas does affect, it's probably best to express your displeasure with your wallets...

Journeyman

Voice and 3G coverage being drastically reduced

I don't think you understood his point, rawvega.

Journeyman

Voice and 3G coverage being drastically reduced

Sprint is having a huge issue with the Midwest. They say the issue should be resolved by May 31, who is holding their breath with me?

Highlighted
Journeyman

Voice and 3G coverage being drastically reduced

POOKIEPRANCER wrote:

I don't think you understood his point, rawvega.

I'm quite sure that I understood his point perfectly fine, however if you have any insights that you'd like to share, by all means do so.

Journeyman

Voice and 3G coverage being drastically reduced

Perhaps you did, but you also were dismissive of his viable claim regarding coverage.  The statement that the changes only mainly affect the Dakotas, Wyoming and Montana are from looking at the maps in a cursory fashion.  Eastern Arizona now has very limited coverage compared to six months ago.  Maine, Northern Nevada, Eastern Colorado and parts of the lower Ohio Valley also took a hit. Add that to the snail's pace at which 4G is being rolled out by Sprint (Phoenix went from getting 4G in Oct. 2010 to "sometime in the future"), and Sprint's claim to be a "nationwide" player starts to ring a bit hollow.

While it is great that it is a non-issue for you, it isn't for those affected, and if there is a mass migration away from Sprint and the capital isn't coming in to expand or upgrade the network, I can assure you that you will be affected when Sprint either raises rates or cuts service.

Community News

This is a PUBLIC ARCHIVE board, all artciles are read only.

Please click here to search the Active Community.