cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Voice and 3G coverage being drastically reduced

Journeyman

Whew!  It actually appears that the Sprint deal is still on, and sounds even more formal.  http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2011-06-02/sprint-said-to-be-near-20-billion-network-pact-with-falcone...

The AT&T deal with LightSquared is just for excess capacity for LightSquared's users.  Which may ironically even include Sprint users...LOL!  Wouldn't that be something that AT&T was actually hosting Sprint users on it's 4G LTE network when roaming through LightSquared's agreement?  That would just be the cat's meow!

Master

nmherron wrote:

Whew!  It actually appears that the Sprint deal is still on, and sounds even more formal.  http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2011-06-02/sprint-said-to-be-near-20-billion-network-pact-with-falcone...

The AT&T deal with LightSquared is just for excess capacity for LightSquared's users.  Which may ironically even include Sprint users...LOL!  Wouldn't that be something that AT&T was actually hosting Sprint users on it's 4G LTE network when roaming through LightSquared's agreement?  That would just be the cat's meow!

Not directly related to hte main topic, but rather this tangent here...

LightSquared is also the company who's LTE equipment is proving to be interfering with GPS signals as far as 20 miles from a tower... unless LightSquared can come up with a solution, they may end up being forced to take down their entire network and close up shop.

Wizard

Re: Voice and 3G coverage being drastically reduced

halcyoncmdr134 wrote:

nmherron wrote:

Not directly related to hte main topic, but rather this tangent here...

LightSquared is also the company who's LTE equipment is proving to be interfering with GPS signals as far as 20 miles from a tower... unless LightSquared can come up with a solution, they may end up being forced to take down their entire network and close up shop.

Yes. I've been following that, and there are some serious "technical difficulties" with exactly how LightSquared appears to be engineering thengs. As a retired (communications) engineer, I have some real heartburn with some of it.

http://arstechnica.com/tech-policy/news/2011/04/lightsquared-broadband-a-threat-to-gps.ars

http://www.gpsworld.com/machine-control-ag/news/john-deere-massive-lightsquared-interference-with-no...

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424052702303657404576359393184395736.html

Tom

Journeyman

So what exactly does this mean everyone? If Sprint does business with these folks, our true voice and data services we've lost the past few months will come back or no? Is this a done deal? Sorry, just a 10 year Sprint premier customer here as well looking for answers. Dreading to headed to Big Red, but it looks that way...

Journeyman

DH54321 wrote:

So what exactly does this mean everyone? If Sprint does business with these folks, our true voice and data services we've lost the past few months will come back or no? Is this a done deal? Sorry, just a 10 year Sprint premier customer here as well looking for answers. Dreading to headed to Big Red, but it looks that way...

There's just no definitive answers at this point.  All the things I'm discussing are hypothetical.  Maybe even best case scenarios.  I like to think Sprint is in a great position in the long term for coverage.  But in the short term, a lot of people are going to have to go with someone else.  If Sprint has a plan, they need to tell everyone quickly.  So we have reason to hold out.  Otherwise, they are going to start losing customers very fast.

Journeyman

O.M.G. SPRINT IS THE FAIL BOT of the year. Between the lies (tower  down in your area), and the lack of service no longer offered in my area  (still getting the stiffy because I'm under contract), I feel like  crap. I am peeved! I want out of my contract since my phones don't work  anyway. 8 solid days without the ability to make or receive calls and NO  BARS at all. I would like SPRINT to explain how they can run a business  this way? I got a credit of $21.49 on my next bill but no idea when  I'll be able to use my phone again. In my opinion I should only be  billed what I have used which for this month has been nothing. Seriously  I feel ripped off and I'm going to the BBB about this tomorrow. I would  call Sprint, but oh yeah I can't because I got rid of my land line  before SPRINT lost all their contracts and only have a useless  BlackBerry with no service. I pay my bills, now show me the phone  service!

Autumn Rosen

Social Media Artist, Novelist and Blogger

Journeyman

Yep, in the last couple months my coverage had continued to degrade to the point where I can no longer make our receive calls in my home. I have to go outside. This is ridiculous! I have been more than patient. I have been paying the extra 10 bucks a month for the data premium service for my epic 4g because I was told a year ago that we should have 4g in my area within a couple months. (lie). In the meantime I would have 3g speeds of up to 1Mb/s (another lie) the best I ever had was 0.3 Mb/s now I get 0.1 Mb/s and that is only intermittent. It takes 42 seconds to load the relatively blank Google search page! Any other page is impossible. I called sprint last night and the actually tried to tell me it's because they have had a huge increase in subscribers in my area and it had put a strain on the network but technicians are hard at work to remedy the problem. He would be happy to credit my account and then transfer me to another department that would set me up with an airave and that they would work with me on the price of it.i told him there is no way I am paying for anything and he says well I am sure they will provide it for free.....so he put me on hold for like 3 minutes and then the other guy comes on and promptly disconnects....Ugh. I am most assuredly     LEAVING SPRINT when this contract is up.

Highlighted
Journeyman

I am also sending a copy of the speed test log results from the past 3 months to EVERY tech site I can find as well as posting it on all of my friends facebook pages and asking them to spread the word that Sprint is actually dead. It's in it's last gasping death throes and all of these commercials and press are nothing more than a way to grab a bunch of money from new subscribers before they close up shop. It is painfully obvious that this is what is happening. It has been done many times before. I can think of 3 companies in the not too distant past that did this very thing. It's a cheap and dirty practice that should not be allowed but large companies continue to get away with it. Well I am going to do my damndest to prevent as many people as I can from signing up with sprint and falling piety to the (nation wide coverage and 4g) scam this company is pulling on people. This had got to be one of the largest cases of false advertising ever pulled off. I swear there should be some kind of intervention by the FCC in regards to this pack of lites.

Journeyman

Also for anyone interested here is the link for the download of a form to formally file a complaint with the Fcc.

http://www.fcc.gov/cgb/consumerfacts/Form2000A.pdf

I urge anyone reading this topic to make use of it. Sprint has clearly NOT delivered on their promised Nationwide coverage and 4g rollout. Hell I don't even have voice in my own home any longer let alone 3g or 4g. I was forced to have a landline installed at home just so I could make phone calls. Just to be clear I DO NOT LIVE IN A RURAL AREA, IN FACT I LIVE IN THE STATE CAPITAL OF MICHIGAN.

Journeyman

WPBOTZ, First of all, you should try spell check (upper right corner).  It shows that you care.  Secondly, Just because you are PO d, doesn't give you the right to tear down the structure.  If you think you would be happy with At&t or Verizon, with there data caps, go right ahead.  At least Sprint pledges to not have a data cap with 4G, and the deployment takes time and money.  3G got here didn't it?  Keep your shorts on, it will happen.  Work on anger management. BTW, if you live in the Midwest, you should read about the acquisition of Alltel (towers shared by Sprint) and the divesting of towers to At&t.  This is probably what's affecting you.

Please read this from TOMAS_

"Doug, for years, Sprint and Alltel had two-way, mutually beneficial contracted agreements that allowed each other's customers to use either network as if it were their home network. Sprint customers, for example, had full voice, 2G, and 3G coverage throughout that area.

The most recent renewal of that contract ran through 2016.

Then, Verizon bought Alltel.

As part of being allowed to buy Alltel, Big Red was required to "divest" (sell off) some areas covered by Alltel where Big Red already had it's own coverage. Vast sweeps of the plains states network were sold to AT&T.

The combination of both changes of ownership (Alltel to Verizon to AT&T), and subsequent changes in not only contract but the ability of many of those towers to continue supporting Sprint customers because of network changes, moved many thousands of square miles of the country from "native" type coverage to "roaming" coverage with many contractual limitations, such as "Location Services" as a class of services, not being allowed to be used while roaming.

In a nutshell that is the "simple version" of the problem we now see ourselves in as customers: Thousands of square miles of the country that used to be represented as "native" Sprint coverage on the basis of long term contracts with the folks (Alltel) who built and owned the network suddenly no longer available. The result is that what used to be represented as Sprint native coverage in those areas has simply vanished.

Whatever the behind the scenes reasons, WHICH SPRINT REFUSES TO TALK ABOUT WITH ITS CUSTOMERS, the effect on the customers is as if Sprint suddenly shut down their network in those areas."

Take care,

Tom

Journeyman

Sprint is not shutting down and does not have financial problems.  But you were most likely using a tower on a roaming partner, and completely unaware because the service appeared native.  Unfortunately, Sprint did not have a plan in place before AT&T took over so many Alltel towers in the Midwest and Interior West.  This is not likely to be fixed anytime soon.  Given your circumstances, you really have two choices...

1.  Airave

2.  Choose Another Carrier

Most customers in your predicament can get an Airave for free from Sprint.  This would work for you if there is decent coverage in other areas you go, just not your home.  If you have no coverage at all in your area, then an Airave won't do you much good.

If you can't or don't want an Airave, contact them about getting out of your contract.  I was able to get out of the last 12 months of an AT&T contract when I no longer lived in a service area.  Just make sure you live in area well covered by another carrier of choice.  I recently saw a thread of a lady in suburban Nashville who had the same problem, then got Sprint to release her from her contract.  So she went and got Verizon and had the same problem.  Gave back Verizons phones in 48 hours and went to AT&T.  Same problem.  She had great Sprint coverage (most likely through Alltel), lost the tower, then had no coverage with anyone.  She eneded up back at Sprint with an Airave. 

Alltel had the best coverage in the areas they served.  They did a really good job deploying their networks.  And AT&T and Verizon are not necessarily using all the Alltel tower locations in the same way and same frequencies.  It's a whole new world for CDMA networks in the areas where Alltel used to serve.  And for the worse.  This is what wireless consolidation brings.  A big kick in the rear for consumers. 

Journeyman

I went to the Sprint coverage map online and looked at the Lansing area.  Sprint is noting a future tower in the Southeast part of the city near Mason, off US 127.  Hopefully you live in this area.  If so, you can expect some relief in the not too distant future.

Also, farther out near Pleasant Lake there is another tower being deployed.  But that's a pretty rural area.

Community News

This is a PUBLIC ARCHIVE board, all artciles are read only.

Please click here to search the Active Community.