cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Voice and 3G coverage being drastically reduced

Journeyman

Re: Voice and 3G coverage being drastically reduced

You have a really bad attitude. If you want Sprint to work with you, you need to work with them. My husband and I went through losing our tower, or whatever tower we were using. For two weeks, we called Sprint, having tickets written up. We were told they were working on the towers. We took our phones to Sprint and had them diagnosed and swiped clean. Phones were fine. Sprint did the same as with you, sent us an Airave at no cost. The great CS at Sprint Airave helped us (several times) get and keep our Airave working. Because we worked WITH Sprint, and because it turned out for whatever reason we did not have coverage anymore, Sprint was very nice and let us out of our contract. So, we tried Verizon, one bar, no data. Then we tried AT&T, one bar, no data. We are happy to be staying with Sprint, our Airave gives us a full set of bars, and quick data/internet. If we have problems, we can call Sprint Airave Support. And, we've been told that Sprint will be putting more towers up in our area, which we feel certain will happen.

We never wanted to leave Sprint. Their packages are the best, their CS is the best. Their phones are the best. Sprint is NOT SHUTTING DOWN. Why do you want to act so mean and nasty. All of the providers, not just Sprint, are busy working on their tower issues. Remember, it wasn't that long ago that we all just used our phones to talk. Technology has changed tremendously in the last few years. Putting new towers up takes time, govt approval, etc. 

Why don't you FIRST try to work with Sprint...you'll be amazed at how great they are at trying to resolve your problems!!!

Journeyman

Doug900

First of all, regarding spellcheck I have no need to be that correct when typing using my phone. (also before you criticize someone for their spelling you should make sure yours is flawless I spotted 2 mistakes in your first 2 lines of text) If you have tried it you would know how difficult it is to use and correct mistakes due to the fact that this page is coded in such a way that mobile browsers don't play well with it.

Second I don't care, at least in relation to whether or not my spelling or grammar is up to your standards. The purpose of communication is to relay information. It requires 3 things a sender, a receiver and a message that is formatted in a coherent manner that can be understood by the recipient. I believe all 3 requirements were met.

Third, Yes I am po'd and yes it actually DOES give me the right to tear down the whole structure. It is people like you that are a large part of the problem in this country. Apathy is going to be the downfall of this country. Consumers accept substandard products, services and representation within government without speaking up. Yes I intend to rock the boat, if I remember correctly that is how this country came about and grew into such a powerful nation. Now the prevailing attitude is "keep your shorts on"  I have kept my shorts on FOR A YEAR now. When I bought the phone and signed the contract I did so with the understanding that 4g would be available "within a few months" I signed up and paid 400+ for a phone in June and was told that by September 4g would be available. I have been paying an extra 10 dollars a month for premiun data, also with the understanding it was because I would be able to access said data much faster than "normal phones and service" would you pay your cable company for HBO for an entire year without actually having it?

As far as the other carriers having data caps, are you kidding me? I DON"T EVEN HAVE VOICE LET ALONE DATA so a cap is irrelevant. In fact I would wlecome a cap if I was assured I would actually have service. I have never had 4g and the 3g coverage you speak of, is and has been nearly useless as I have NEVER been able to send pictures to friends via MMS or upload any to facebook. I also cannot use the phone to look at facebook or any page that has photos due to the fact that the data speed is insufficient to load said pages. So essentially NO 3g DIDN'T GET HERE.

Regarding an Airave, I have contacted Sprint about this problem and the tech people say they are more than willing to set me up with an Airave "please hold while I transfer you to accounts and they can get that set up and sent out to you" that is a direct quote that I have heard 3 times....all 3 times I have been disconnected during the transfer. You ask me to "keep my shorts on" with a PHONE company that has failed 3 times to transfer a call? Maybe they should get the local pizza joint to run the phones because I have NEVER been disconnected from them while on hold, and their business is PIZZA. Keep in mind the people transferring the call were the TECHNICAL SUPPORT staff.

As for the post put up by Tomas, I read it, along with every single other word in this entire thread BEFORE I posted. In fact his posts are part of the reason I decided to pursue this with the fcc. The fact that Sprint did not outbid or outmaneuver AT&T in regards to buying those towers from "Big Red" when the opportunity arose speaks volumes about the financial means of this company. They simply should not have let what could easily be considered the backbone of their network, in a major portion of the country, be appropriated by a competitor. Now a similar thing is about to happen again with T-mobile. Oh yeah Sprint went to the court system to cry foul, how about making a better offer to aquire it themselves. Nope Sprint instead makes deals with companies such as Nextel and Clearwire....both of which were very bad moves. Sprint just this week dropped it's voting shares below 50 percent in Clearwire, that is usually a harbinger of bankruptcy (clearwire's) btw: if you look under the hood Sprint still maintains a majority financial stake in a company (clearwire) that is nowhere near completing it's network and is out of money to do so. Trust me Clearwire is about to fail. I think Sprint's management finally realizes it but it's too late. It doesn't take a genius to see that the investment in Clearwire is in large part the reason Sprint couldn't make a move on T-mobile, even though the tech is different they would have been in a bargaining position just by owning them and it is still easier to add tech to a tower that is standing rather than having to build the tower first.

Lastly, I know which towers I am on it's not that hard to find out and I KNOW who owns them, also not hard to find out. I am most definitely on a Sprint tower and not roaming. Yes I am in the midwest, you infer that because I am I should realize that the Alltel deal affected me, and I am most likely on another company's tower. In fact if you actually looked at the map that you claim you did, you should have realized that I am in one of the most heavily saturated areas in regards to Sprint's coverage. The fact is I had a friend over here who has Verizon and he was Roaming while at my house....when we checked he was using a tower that is owned by Sprint, but my phone is unable to connect to, why is that? I suspect it is due to the prl that Sprint pushed out a short time ago and somehow excluded a tower owned by them in my area....it is a complete farce. Especially when you consider that my buddy ran a speed test while sitting on My couch using a Verizon Thunderbolt and had .99Mb/s down and .38Mb/s up while I couldn't even connect to a tower owned by my own service provider that is closer than the one I actually could connect to and could not even get an internet connection on 3g. So another company is using a tower owned by the very company I pay money to and I can't even use the equipment that is practically in my backyard.

BTW that tower you speak of that is coming near Mason.....it's been coming for nearly 15 months. As for the the pleasant lake tower that is at least thirty miles from Lansing, for that matter a tower in Mason would help none at all. You must not be aware of the fact that a cell tower signal radiates roughly 10 miles under IDEAL conditions and more usually about 3 miles depending on buildings and amount people using said tower.

In short, please inform yourself before you speak, you just make yourself look bad. I will gladly pass on any anger management seminars and donate the money to your education as it is sorely lacking. You should never presume to telll someone else what their rights are, we have a constitution for that, although it is slowly being eroded by the laissez faire attitude people like you put forth. Yes I am angry, yes I have a RIGHT to be, and yes I have a RIGHT to tear down the system especially since I am a customer as well as a shareholder (but not for much longer on both counts).

Instead of spending money on commercials (very expensive ones I might add) to TELL me what great coverage Sprint has and how they have NO LIMIT 4g maybe they should spend the money and time on building the damn infrastructure and SHOW me. I also implore Sprint to stop sending me text messages (that hit my phone at 2 a.m. due to the poor coverage) lauding themselves for all of the customer satisfaction awards etc. that they have received....what a joke.

Journeyman

I'm not sure why you are being hostile.  I wasn't talking down to you, just trying to help.  I have no idea where you live in the Lansing area.  I never presumed you lived in any specific area...near Mason or otherwise.  All I did was try to give you some information that could possibly help you.

I'm still not sure why you are drawing the conclusions you are about Sprint.  They definitely are not going out of business.  Most indexes and brokerage firms are upgrading outlook on Clearwire and Sprint.  Two just switched to buy this week.  Clearwire is finally making some intelligent decisions that will help it's future.  Focusing on their retail operations was a huge error, and that is what was slowing down the 4G deployment.  Sprint finally stepped in and stopped acting like a silent partner and started kicking some derriere and making some overdue tough decisions.  Clearwire still has a billion dollars left and Sprint didn't want them wasting it.

Sprint reducing it's share to 48% is a wise risk management scenario.  It does two things for Sprint:

1. Shareholders that own more than 50% are liable for the debts of the companies they own stock in.  So if a company defaults on any of it's debt, any shareholders that own more than 50% must pay those debts.  That's not even just bankruptcy, that includes if for some reason they just don't pay tower leases next month.  Any debt.  So if Clearwire doesn't pay any of its vendors, they can come after Sprint.  Now reducing their share below 50%, that risk goes away for Sprint and Sprint's shareholders.
  2. The fact that Sprint was on the hook for Clearwire's debt limited it's own ability to borrow money.  Sprint plans to borrow a lot of money for their Network Vision plan.  When they submit to borrow, the lenders look at all their debt liabilities.  With Clearwire's debt liabilities included, it makes it more expensive for Sprint to borrow, if they can even borrow at all.  Now since they have less than 50% control, this is no longer a problem for them.

Sprint only wanted to own more than 50% long enough to control Clearwire to settle their long term agreements and force them out of their retail strategy and into building out infrastructure.  Now that the ink is dry on all those contracts, they can sell below 50%.  It is the best of both worlds for them.

I am as disappointed as anyone about Sprint not buying the divested portions of Alltel.  But at the cost AT&T paid, I can understand why they didn't.  I don't want anyone buying the lot next door to my house.  I will try to be the next person to buy it.  But if someone gets into a bidding war with me, believe me, there is a point when I have to give up.  Sprint is wise enough not overspend itself for Alltel, and then not be able to deploy 4G and Network Vision.  AT&T would have paid anything to make sure Sprint didn't get it.  Or, at least push the price so high that if Sprint did get it, it would hurt them badly.  AT&T would love for the American market to get down to two major carriers and justify high tiered pricing (the Canadian model).  They want to punish their enemies.  Sprint is the very essence of free market economics.  It's the scrappy underdog.  Yes, the scrappy underdog is a lot weaker than it's bully rivals.  But instead of the bully rivals getting down and competing for control of the playground, they go and whine to their powerful friends and pay lobbyists and try to unfairly control things.  AT&T is like Dave Hester from Storage Wars! 

As for your coverage at home, it does indeed sound like you and your roaming Verizon buddy are on a Sprint tower.  The fact he can get EVDO off that Sprint tower but you can't sounds like a technical issue.  Perhaps your EVDO antenna on your device became defective?  Maybe a device problem?  Have you contacted Sprint for technical support and explain these particulars to them?  It shouldn't be a PRL issue, because PRL only tells the phone towers it can use that are not native.  There must be something that can be done.

But be warned about Big Red.  Since you do not have a Verizon signal at your home, you will be "permanent roaming".  That is a violation of their TOS.  Once they figure it out, they will terminate your contract and demand cancellation fees and device fees.  Unless AT&T or T-Mobile offer good reception at your home, you are probably best trying to work it out with Sprint Technical Support.  I can understand your frustration.  I would have been very unhappy to be disconnected like you were after waiting so long.

I'm not sure why you try to make me look ignorant about cell phone towers.  I never said anything technical, or corrected you in any way.  There is so much variation in signals you get from cell phone towers, between the height the antennas are set at, to the frequency that's being broadcast, to the technology being deployed (GSM, 1xRTT, EVDO, etc.), the topography, foliage, etc.  Most CDMA cell towers at average heights at 1900mhz are only good for a few miles.  However, there is one here in New Mexico that's over 300 feet high that I can get for 20 miles.  GSM cell towers at 800mhz that are really tall can reach out over 30 miles.  However, higher frequencies can support more data and more users.  I understand broadcast physics and nothing I said in my post would imply that I do not. 

Highlighted
Journeyman

First of all nmherron, I was not addressing you. The very first line of my post states it was a reply to Doug900. Why this system chose to make it a reply to you I do not know maybe it was because I was on a mobile browser that acts a bit wonky in regards to this particular page.

I wasn't even addressing you.....I really like how people prport to be so informed and intelligent but you didn't even read the first line where it clearly shows I am addressing Doug900.

Please stop cherrypicking portions of someones post and read what is most salient. Since you felt obliged to reply to something not concerning you I will go ahead and try to politely reply to some of what you stated

1. I am an investor in Sprint and I can tell you for a FACT that There is NO Most involved when it comes to brokerage firms giving positive reviews if you poll the major houses it is 50/50 on Sprint and nearly ALL say neutral or sell Clearwire. As for the stock selloff they ONLY did that because investors DEMANDED it, BTW the selloff was only class B Sprint still maintains a 54% FINANCIAL stake in clearwire which means if they go under and it certainly seems as though they might then Sprint will incur HUGE losses due to the devaluation of the stock. It is quite obvious to people that Clearwire does not have the money to finish it's build out of it's network, do better research please. All Sprint did was insulate themselves from being on the hook for any unpaid debts incurred by Clearwire...which is good. But since CLWR is actually still talking about WiMax it's not a good bet to go long into the future. The easiest and most obvious and what I and most intelligent people think Sprint is heading to is LTE  but CLWR needs to make that move as well or get left behind. Then there is Lightsquared...ugh! In case you weren't aware Falcone is nuts, his fund went from 26 billion to somewhere around 7 billion in worth due to his mismanagement. If Sprint wants to compete with the big boys they need to make big boy moves....no matter what the cost, letting those Alltell towers go was a HUGE mistake, if you can't see how big that is I don't know what to tell you. As far as being pushed aside by lobbyists etc. hey there are fair trade acts etc. that could have prevented that nonsense from going down. I mean they are screaming about the T-Mobile deal to the courts now.....T-mobile and ATT are GSM...Alltell was CDMA c'mon which towers were more important. We could have USED those towers as well sold lease agreements to Verizon. Whatever, it's super easy common sense which some people just don't have. Simply put any price would have been worth it to 1. Continue to use the towers we already were using via the Alltell agreement especially since it was such a massive part of our network. 2. Obviously Verizon needed some of those towers....hello Verizon this is Sprint we understand you want to provide coverage in BFE...well it just so happens I have a tower there I can let ya use for the low low price of......

So now if they want to SURVIVE Sprint needs to probably buyout CLWR switch the whole thing over to LTE and/or make that agreement with LIGHT2'd to allow them use of the, as of now nearly non exisitent 4g network. WiMax is dead folks....the whole network vision thing is an effort to make a move to LTE believe it.

As for my coverage at home, again if you READ my post you will see I have been in contact with Sprint and talked to them multiple times and they AGREED to Send me an Airave but they kept disconnecting the call and after 3 occurences I gave up for the night.       I have JUST NOW gotten off the phone with them again and gone through the WHOLE STORY AGAIN 3 times, escalation each time, finally to be told that yes we will send you an Airave...."but you will need a third line for that, and to do that I need a deposit of one hundred dollars" Hmmm...OK I will play along..... OK Sprint guy let's do that if that what it's going to take, OK Mr. B let get this started and we can get this taken care of, just let make sure you understand that you will be paying a 100 dollar deposit and I will in turn credit your account 100 dollars.......Yep I understand......OK let me put you on hold and pull up all the stuff......in the meantime back at the ranch I am already online and sent them the 100 dollars.....Sprint guy comes back and says ok I see you already made the payment, good I have everything typed up and you should be receiving a confirmation email blah blah blah...VICTORY!!! .....or so I thought

3 minutes later the same guy calls me back and tells me, I apologize for all the problems you have been having and I do want to get this resolved but there is another issue......What might that be sprint guy?........Well while you did make the 100 hundred dollar payment I was unclear and should have told you that it was to be made through me otherwise it just gets applied your normal account......huh?......Yes sir I needed to take that payment as a deposit........Umm OK so now what do we need to do?........Well If you just go ahead and give me the deposit of 100 dollars.........stop, wait hold on, are you really telling me I need to give you ANOTHER 100 dollars after I had to fight with you guys to begin with in regards to sending me an Airave at all.......well yes sir the payment was made to the wrong department........you're kidding me right?......No sir I do aplogize.........Well there is NO way I am giving you more money for a service I already pay for and am now paying some ridiculous deposit for a third line and now you want to strong arm me for MORE cash, so that you guys can give me a service that I contracted for and would have to pay a huge fee if I decided to break that contract. You DO realized that a friggin contract goes bith ways.....and consider this formal notice that you guys are IN BREACH of that contract. I am paying for service at an agreed upon rate and you guys cannot honor it, so NO I will not be giving you more money and I will be mailing the complaint for to the FCC and I will just continue to live without service while paying you but when the contract is done I will jump ship...........OK sir........Thanks,,,,BYE.

End of story? ...........Nope......6 Minutes later I get another call.....Hi Mr. B?.......yes......I understand you are having an issue, my name is blah blah I'm a floor supervisor and I WILL get this resolved, tell me what has happened so far.....I skipped all the previous stories thinking this is a waste of time and only told him of the last to conversations to which he replied.......Well I don't know what he was talking about, there is no need for a deposit or anything, let me just get this sent out to you and just so you know I will send it NEXT DAY post......OK, look man I gotta tell you I'm waiting for the catch......no problem sir no catch......What? Then why all the pain and grief with 4 other people why do insist on trying to flat out try to tell me something untrue, listen you guys need to get your stories straight, get the same info this is ridiculous.......I agree sir and the tapes of your converstions will help greatly in my further training sessions.........(did this guys just say that to me?)....Well, I got to tell you, the first 2 layers of techs you parse people through are basically useless, the general public is MUCH more tech savvy than they used to be...we know BS when we hear it, and it only makes us angry......I understand sir hopefully this will take care of the issue........I bellieve it will, thanks much.......You're welcome, have a good weekend.....You too.

Well we will see what actually takes place.......Stay tuned! Personally I have spent 4 HOURS talking to these people, on the phone and at the store....WHY? Is it soooo hard for a company to live up to their own advertising.....kinda strange when I told him that Hey you guys are Definitely not honoring your end of the contract, then I get a call from a no nonsense guy and magically everything is good to go and they are terribly sorry.......Should done that with the VERY first call not have given me all these lame excuses and tried to tell me the problem was the device that the coverage map shows I should have good service......wow that blew my mind.......ugh! Going to eat dinner, enough of this.

Journeyman

Wow! I am so sorry. Took me one phone call for the original non 3G airave then when the new one came out I told them I wanted the new 3G model and they sent it out for free and no monthly service charge. I called retentions though. Not technical support, as when I called tehm they told me they don't have the authority to do that and then transferred me to retentions, and put me on hold while the teechnical support person explained my situation to the retention person and voila 5 mins later I'm off the phone expecting the Airave in a few days. BTW- it helps ATON with service!

Journeyman

I used to get about 1.3mb with a steady 3g connection now I be lucky if I can get 300 in my area, while going back and forth from EVDO to 1X mode.

I called sprint rep and he basically told me nothing was going on and there was nothing he could do for me. Nice way to treat someone that is currently not under contract and have been with Sprint for 10+ years.

how are you guys getting a free Airave?

Journeyman

We have had the same problem here in Santa Fe, NM.  6 months ago we were steady 1mb to 1.5mb down on an EVDO signal.  Now it fluctuates wildly from 50kb to 600kb on most towers.  And it's verified EVDO.  The 1xRTT are always steady 150kb to 250kb.

Thankfully we have one 4G/WiMax tower now.  It's steady 5mb-9mb download and 1 to 1.5mb upload, no matter the time of day.  Too bad it only covers about 25% of the city. 

Journeyman

Sprint has updated there coverage map and made it all green where you will be able to use the service.  No more roaming difference. About time.  All the other carriers do this.  While I respected Sprint for being honest, I cant fault them for doing what they need to do to appear similar to the others.  The question is, how will this reflect where you can and cant use services that require native Sprint service?

Wizard

SWINTEC316 wrote:

Sprint has updated there coverage map and made it all green where you will be able to use the service.  No more roaming difference. About time.  All the other carriers do this.  While I respected Sprint for being honest, I cant fault them for doing what they need to do to appear similar to the others.  The question is, how will this reflect where you can and cant use services that require native Sprint service?

"The best way to lie is to tell only so much of the truth."

Allow me to answer your question, SWINTEC...

It's obsfuscation of the facts by Sprint to make themselves look much better than they really are.

What Sprint has done is removed coverage detail from the nationwide map to simply imply that everything now in dark green is "Sprint Coverage."

Sprint nationwide VOICE coverage maps from 22APR2011 and 19JUN2011:

sprint_v_coverage_example.jpg

sprint_coverage_voice_nationwide_19JUN11.jpg

But when one drills down to more localized maps one finds that things really haven't changed, other then Sprint changing green/gray/white to green/green/white.

Same, essentially, for data, except orange instead of green...

Sprint nationwide DATA coverage maps from 22APR2011 and 19JUN2011:

sprint_d_coverage_example.jpg

sprint_coverage_data_nationwide_19JUN11.jpg

Lets drill down to a local area...

Sprint detailed DATA coverage maps from 22APR2011 and 19JUN2011:

sprint_coverage_example_03.jpg

sprint_coverage_data_19JUN11.jpg

You will notice there really aren't any changes in actual coverage or usability, just in the new lack of detail on the national maps.

What does this mean for the user?

This simply means that in all those areas that were correctly shown as "roaming" on the nationwide and local maps in April are still roaming:

For VOICE that means "Any Mobile Any Time" DOES NOT APPLY in the roaming areas and you will be charged for minutes when roaming.

For DATA that means that in most of the US you will sill not be able to roam 3G, AND that LOCATION SERVICES and Sprint exclusive services (TV for example) will likely not work.

All Sprint is doing is hiding those facts on the nationwide maps and depending on users not drilling down to localized maps for areas they are traveling to: They will just trust the nationwide map and assume they have full Sprint coverage.

Sprint customers traveling will still be subject to unexpected minute usage and charges that they didn't used to be, and data based services that used to work in vast areas of the US will still work at all in all those areas since the loss of coverage in March.

There is no new coverage since the April maps, only subterfuge by Sprint in an attempt to hide their loss of coverage from the casual observer.

By the way, anyone from Sprint is more than welcome to publically challenge or correct anything in this post - just have your backup facts in hand and show them to us.

Tom

Master

Sprint has changed the national map to not differentiate between native coverage and roaming coverage on a national level. Every other carrier already does this and has for a while. Sprint is simply the last to make this change.

One could argue that it is a malicious change. I look at it more like when the average person goes to compare coverage maps between different companies they first look at the national map, and Sprint was at a disadvantage based on a cursory look here simply because we were being 100% honest when fully zoomed out. While one could argue that is admirable, the wireless industry is cutthroat and any small thing that could be a disadvantage like that can make the difference between Now all 4 major carriers have the same overall layout at the national level, there either is some coverage, or none at all. All carriers differentiate roaming/native when you zoom in. All carriers do not differentiate on the national map.

Sprint: http://coverage.sprint.com/IMPACT.jsp?ECID=vanity:coverage

Verizon: http://www.verizonwireless.com/b2c/CoverageLocatorController?requesttype=NEWREQUEST

AT&T: http://www.wireless.att.com/coverageviewer/#?type=voice

T-Mobile: http://www.t-mobile.com/coverage/pcc.aspx

All of hte negatives you listed above are the same for every carrier when dealing with roaming. Things like Friends & Family, My Favs/MyCircle/MyWhatever (depending on carrier) do not apply when roaming just like Any Mobile, Anytime or Mobile-to-Mobile does not apply with Sprint. Nothing different with Sprint in this regard to any other carrier.

Wizard

halcyoncmdr134 wrote:

Sprint has changed the national map to not differentiate between native coverage and roaming coverage on a national level. Every other carrier already does this and has for a while. Sprint is simply the last to make this change.

One could argue that it is a malicious change. I look at it more like when the average person goes to compare coverage maps between different companies they first look at the national map, and Sprint was at a disadvantage based on a cursory look here simply because we were being 100% honest when fully zoomed out. While one could argue that is admirable, the wireless industry is cutthroat and any small thing that could be a disadvantage like that can make the difference between Now all 4 major carriers have the same overall layout at the national level, there either is some coverage, or none at all. All carriers differentiate roaming/native when you zoom in. All carriers do not differentiate on the national map.

Sprint: http://coverage.sprint.com/IMPACT.jsp?ECID=vanity:coverage

Verizon: http://www.verizonwireless.com/b2c/CoverageLocatorController?requesttype=NEWREQUEST

AT&T: http://www.wireless.att.com/coverageviewer/#?type=voice

T-Mobile: http://www.t-mobile.com/coverage/pcc.aspx

All of hte negatives you listed above are the same for every carrier when dealing with roaming. Things like Friends & Family, My Favs/MyCircle/MyWhatever (depending on carrier) do not apply when roaming just like Any Mobile, Anytime or Mobile-to-Mobile does not apply with Sprint. Nothing different with Sprint in this regard to any other carrier.

No problem, Kev.

We both understand that the change from accurate detailed information on the national map level to generalized "any coverage at all counts" information is done purely for marketing purposes (and marketeers lie), and that there has been no improvement at all in ACTUAL coverage since Sprint lost thousands of square miles of coverage due to inter-carrier contract changes earlier this year.

But really, the map change just made is an attempt to mislead the customer or potential customer into thinking that Sprint actually has that coverage by burying the details.

Doesn't really matter that "everyone else does it," just as it doesn't matter when you are involvd in a traffic stop for speeding or not fully stopping at a stop sign before making a "free" right turn. "Everyone else does it" doesn't make it right.

I understand the marketing disadvantage that being honest put Sprint in, and I feel for them, but what I want is at least the level of service Sprint had at my last contract renewal. They do not have that no matter how they color their maps.

Actual improvements in service do not happen by having a marketeer *spit* color a map, real, honest improvement takes place by actually building a network that provides us with all the services we pay for every month everyplace Sprint claims to have service.

By coloring the maps, Sprint is claiming to provide service. (Yeah, yeah, Verizon does the same thing, I know, but that's Verizon, and we expect it from them.)

Anyway, Sprint needs to step up and regain the actual coverage they USED to have, either by building new network or at least by inter-carrier contract until they can get the network built.

A question Abraham Lincoln once posed seems to fit... "How many legs does a dog have if you call a tail a leg?"

His answer was "Four. Calling a tail a leg does not make it a leg."

Comments?

Tom

halcyoncmdr134 - just because every other carrier does it doesn't make it right - oh well. Pretty deceiving "map" as one has to read the print on the side to see "detailed information ." I just wish that Sprint would come out with their plan to return to the coverge prior to March 1 or just say...."live with the current and make your decision to continue with us or not as we have no plans for our network." I have been (for the most part) very satisfied with Sprint (both customer service and coverage) and would like to continue but places that I do travel to have been impacted (not just the Midwest). I definitely did not get 3G in Western North Dakota earlier this month (as I had last fall) and the voice was roaming.

Community News

This is a PUBLIC ARCHIVE board, all artciles are read only.

Please click here to search the Active Community.