Sprint Community is currently read-only. Please use the My Sprint app or Sprint.com to manage your account. If you need assistance, please visit Sprint.com/chat
Sprint Community is currently read-only. Please use the My Sprint app or Sprint.com to manage your account. If you need assistance, please visit Sprint.com/chat
Sprint Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Voice and 3G coverage being drastically reduced

Highlighted
Journeyman

@rawvega  No, your comments say you didn't.

Highlighted
Wizard

Re: Voice and 3G coverage being drastically reduced

rawvega wrote:

TOMAS_ wrote:

rawvega wrote:

gth333 wrote:

Luckily, I dont frequent the midwest and west regions very often.

Ditto. I don't have any plans to visit the Dakotas, Wyoming or Montana anytime soon so thankfully this doesn't affect me.

When I read those, for some reason I heard the echo of the famous Martin Niemöller quote...

Tom

Trying to make any type of comparison between the loss of Alltel coverage in the Dakotas, Wyoming and Montana to the rise of Nazism is Germany is probably a good indication that you maybe you should step back for a moment and gain some perspective, Tom...

Get a grip.

The reference, used by many for many purposes, is not a reference to Nazi Germany, but a reference to ANYONE saying about ANYTHING "It doesn't directly affect me, so I'll just ignore it."

You can find an untold number of references to different groups and events derived from the original quote by Niemöller in the following format:

First they came for the [group A],

and I didn't speak out because I wasn't a [group A].

Then they came for the [group B],

and I didn't speak out because I wasn't a [group B].

Then they came for the [group C],

and I didn't speak out because I wasn't a [group C].

Then they came for me,

and there was no one left to speak out for me.

Simply showing how uncaring most folks are unless something directly affects them. It's a exposition on selfishness, and the reason I referenced Niemöller is because that was the original.

You are reading way too much into the reference - and also doing exactly what Niemöller was speaking against; The selfish outlook most folks take in ignoring harms because they are not directly affected - yet...

Perhaps you'd prefer this re-write:

First they came for the tetherers,

and I didn't speak out because I didn't tether.

Then they came for the smartphone users,

and I didn't speak out because I wasn't a smartphone user.

Then they came for the roamers,

and I didn't speak out because I didn't roam.

Then they came for me,

and there was no one left to speak out for me.

(Appologies to Niemöller.)

Highlighted
Journeyman

Tomas, that was awesome!

Highlighted
Journeyman

This is beyond shocking.    I no longer feel very "Premier."  My last line comes off contract on July 08, 2011. Looks like it's time to start shopping other carriers.

One bright note is that all of the wireless carriers reserve their best deals for new customers. It's been years since I was a new customer. Maybe it's time?

Highlighted

@rawvega - I am not sure why your map is different than the one that TOMAS posted at the beginning of the discussion because there is definitely more of a change in his maps than yours.But, I do like the analogies that have been mentioned. The bottom line to all of the network changes is that Sprint may lose more customers just because of the coverage changes which does eventually impact all customers. I personally would rather continue with Sprint and that is why I am not jumping ship early. I am giving them time to address the issue and hopefully make changes. Best of luck to all

Highlighted
Journeyman

TOMAS, no need to apologise. The quote is good and applicable. It's very disturbing that a Sprint rep told me that the new $10 smartphone charge was to pay for the expansion of the network, and less than a month later the network SHRINKS DRASTICALLY. It seems that Sprint's current policy is to lie to the very customers that pay their salary. It reminds me of the 2005 era Sprint when thy lost a million customers and fired a CEO and got Hesse. Maybe it needs to happen again. I think that if all the Sprint customers were to unite against such things as the BS $10 charge for NOTHING, that they might listen. More likely, they will have to lose a million customers in a year. I just might be one of those since I am sick of the outright lies. I cannot comprehend paying a carrier to lie to me over and over again, but that is what I have done. Sprint needs to wake up on this or they will continue to lose customers, based on the posts in this thread.

Highlighted
Journeyman

MikeyrInFL wrote:

This is beyond shocking.    I no longer feel very "Premier."  My last line comes off contract on July 08, 2011. Looks like it's time to start shopping other carriers.

One bright note is that all of the wireless carriers reserve their best deals for new customers. It's been years since I was a new customer. Maybe it's time?

Me too. Of course they took that away from me April 1st this year, after giving it to me last year.

Highlighted
Journeyman

My contract ends next month Sprint....and I was thinking about upgrading! I think an explaination is due. At&t sure has some nice inexpensive phones.

Highlighted
Journeyman

mrcminnesota wrote:

@rawvega - I am not sure why your map is different than the one that TOMAS posted at the beginning of the discussion because there is definitely more of a change in his maps than yours.But, I do like the analogies that have been mentioned. The bottom line to all of the network changes is that Sprint may lose more customers just because of the coverage changes which does eventually impact all customers. I personally would rather continue with Sprint and that is why I am not jumping ship early. I am giving them time to address the issue and hopefully make changes. Best of luck to all

I'm not entirely sure where Tomas came up with that map as I never saw it on the Sprint site (I check often). It looks like the map that had the dark gray roaming was colored green for a more dramatic presentation. I know a lot of those areas were never labeled as service areas as no one has service in many of the green areas on the first map. Examples: Many green areas in UT have no service from anyone (same for NV, ID, ME, MO and so on). Sprint lost a lot of 3G data roaming but the phones still work in those areas (voice and data). I haven't actually seen the loss as my phone goes to Verizon EVDO when roaming (if available).

The third map is accurate and it showed up as partner coverage on the Sprint site. Sprint has no control over the partner networks which is why the service has going away. ATT decided they didn't want to provide that service since they took over the networks in WY, MT, and many other areas.

You are correct that Sprint just needs to start building out its network. They need to quit relying on everyone else to provide roaming service outside of the metro areas. There are many busy routes that they have ignored as they could just use someone else's network. If they want to keep growing they are going to have to start covering the places people travel through and to.

Highlighted
Journeyman

I'm not sure what surprises me more, that Sprint would suffer a significant loss of roaming/service areas or that customers would be so accepting and forgiving about it. EVERYONE who renews a Sprint contract with a smartphone or even a feature phone has certain things in common:

1. They all probably think they are still dealing with a National Carrier
  2. They will all pay a $10 surcharge per line whether they have access to 4G or not
  3. They all will be doing business with a company that (in spite of Sprint TV Commercials) feels it can be totally opaque to its customers
  4. They all will no longer benefit as before from Sprint Premier until they have been a Sprint wireless customer continuously for a decade
  5. They will be doing business with a company who, hiding behind its policy of not discussing its future plans, blows off inquiries about infrastructure buildouts and new device plans
  6. They will suffer from continued deteriorating customer service

Regarding items 3 and 5, customers can not get a straight story out of Sprint on any of these and related issues beyond vague generalities, if that. 

Regarding item 4, it is fair to wonder if Sprint will be around in 10 years. 

My concern is that both Sprint's behavior and service profile is that of a dying company. Further, none of the "Big 3" wireless carriers have any incentive to buy Sprint and Sprint apparently has no plans to acquire any of the regional wireless carriers...but then, per items 3 and 5, who knows? If you think these problems will not affect you because you have decent service where you live, you may well be tragically mistaken. I hope I  am wrong. Really. 

USERKV8031 wrote:

mrcminnesota wrote:

I'm not entirely sure where Tomas came up with that map as I never saw it on the Sprint site (I check often). It looks like the map that had the dark gray roaming was colored green for a more dramatic presentation. I know a lot of those areas were never labeled as service areas as no one has service in many of the green areas on the first map. Examples: Many green areas in UT have no service from anyone (same for NV, ID, ME, MO and so on). Sprint lost a lot of 3G data roaming but the phones still work in those areas (voice and data). I haven't actually seen the loss as my phone goes to Verizon EVDO when roaming (if available).

The third map is accurate and it showed up as partner coverage on the Sprint site. Sprint has no control over the partner networks which is why the service has going away. ATT decided they didn't want to provide that service since they took over the networks in WY, MT, and many other areas.

You are correct that Sprint just needs to start building out its network. They need to quit relying on everyone else to provide roaming service outside of the metro areas. There are many busy routes that they have ignored as they could just use someone else's network. If they want to keep growing they are going to have to start covering the places people travel through and to.

Highlighted
Journeyman

WIZARD713 wrote:

My contract ends next month Sprint....and I was thinking about upgrading! I think an explaination is due. At&t sure has some nice inexpensive phones.

Don't hold your breath waiting for an explanation from Sprint. Definitely not their style. However, you can expect more TV commercials promising whatever...just saying. 

Highlighted
Journeyman

NARIOSKEEPER1 wrote:

Sprint is having a huge issue with the Midwest. They say the issue should be resolved by May 31, who is holding their breath with me?

Look at me   I'm blue.  lol

Community News

This is a PUBLIC ARCHIVE board, all artciles are read only.

Please click here to search the Active Community.