Sprint Community is currently read-only. Please use the My Sprint app or Sprint.com to manage your account. If you need assistance, please visit Sprint.com/chat
Sprint Community is currently read-only. Please use the My Sprint app or Sprint.com to manage your account. If you need assistance, please visit Sprint.com/chat
Sprint Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Voice and 3G coverage being drastically reduced

Highlighted
Journeyman

Thanks for this, I was about to sign up for Sprint because they are cheaper than other companies, but I never bothered to look at coverage maps since Sprint is considered a national carrier.  I'm going to stay away for now, doesn't seem like they are national and hopefully they can fix this with their network vision deal.

Highlighted
Journeyman

Re: Voice and 3G coverage being drastically reduced

I had the same coverage issue and sprint gave me a free "mini tower" I now have perfect coverage for 13000 feet at my house. It won't help if you traveling but it works perfect at home AND..... navigation still works for roaming in fact the phones still can connect to the towers that they always did but the PRL will look for certain towers 1st. And the ones it used to connect to are like 3rd on the list (PRL) intead of second. Its the prl list update that made your coverage "appear" to change.

Highlighted
Journeyman

FWIW, I've never found the nav function to be the equal of the cheapest separate GPS (TomTom, Garmin, etc.)  While it's nice to have it on board and built in to the phone, we have too many pre-existing holes in our area (Western Oregon) that made the onboard GPS function less than dependable.  The main reason for this is the need to download the maps as we drive.  If we could download maps onto the micro sd for use while on the road, the navigator would be much more useful, a la' the TomTom app for iPhone.

Highlighted
Journeyman

Re: Voice and 3G coverage being drastically reduced

Hey steve

there is an app called Orux maps that has downloadable offline maps that you can use with no signal. it works perfectly and its freeeeeee! Also the navigation on my epic blows away my tom tom. the phone nav will actually say the name of the street "turn left on Ridge rd ". while the tom tom will just say "Turn left"

Highlighted
Journeyman

So will Sprint inform us when/if the roaming agreements are renewed?  They didn't see fit to tell us that they were terminated, just wondering if they will make a big deal when they come back.  I'm giving Sprint 2 months to work it out and if by the end of July if there hasn't been a resolution I will be moving my 4 lines to VZW.  Since this has happened I have mentioned it to all my friends that have Sprint around me.  They have all been having a similar issue, but when they called Sprint on it they were just told the towers are being worked on and have been down.  When I called I was transferred a few times till I reached someone in the know and that's when I learned that this was all due to the Strategic Roaming Alliance Agreement affecting San Diego county.  So needless to say I have told them all exactly what is happening and there are at least 20 other lines that will also leave if nothing happens soon.  Ball is in your court Sprint don't mess this up.

Highlighted
Journeyman

I am certain it didn't make you feel warmth toward Sprint CS when they told you that it was just that the towers are down. 

I spent a couple of hours this weekend looking at other options besides Sprint.  Like lembowski said, I am giving them until July to redeem themselves and then, after that, I am jumping ship.

While Verizon may be more expensive in the Phoenix market, at least I am getting full 4G coverage and not some vague promise that 4G will be coming to my metro area at some point.

Highlighted
Journeyman

If its not one thing its another with Sprint.  I was pretty darn happy with VZW with my prior plan but I would save a few bucks everymonth with Sprint so I made the decision to move the family over.  Everything was good until they changed the Premier status, Lost the roaming agreements, and I still feel pretty shafted about the Sprint stores here in San Diego telling customers that 4G here in San Diego wil be coming in 2 or 3 months (they have been saying this since last June and everytime I'm in there they keep saying the same thing to new customers).

I'd rather pay a little more each month to know that I will be getting the coverage I paid for when I signed up.  This is just not acceptable for Sprint to do.  I've "Tipped" this thread and others on forum boards to get more coverage on this issue since this may affect people but they just didn't know about it.

Highlighted

@lembowski - I wouldn't hold my breath about Sprint improving their coverage (at least return it to coverage prior to March 1st). I did as others had done in this thread and contacted Mark Elliott (mark.j.elliott@sprint.com) and received a response from a Debbie B. She was very polite and informed me that Sprint still has "nationwide" coverage and that Sprint customers were notified in their January/February bills of the change (oh please!!). She started with some comments about my bill, etc (like I was looking for reimbursement??) which I told her that I was not looking at trying to get out of my contract now or for any type of adjustment. (I should have asked if she really read my email??). I had asked in my email if Sprint had any plans to get the coverage back or just say they are not and be honest. She did state that Sprint is always making changes but the coverage is what it is - that does tell me that Sprint DOES NOT have a current plan to return to the previous coverage. I am surprised - one would think that by MAY, the executive team would have a plan (or a formal statement) as to how to rectify the network issue. Sad day as I have been with Sprint for over 10 years and have been okay with service (I have had to deal with some problems but that just goes with the territory of dealing with large corporations). So, as I told Debbie, I will not be upgrading my phone and neither will any of the family members on my plan - the last contract expires next year and then I will look to another carrier.

Highlighted
Wizard

STEVEM6353 wrote:

FWIW, I've never found the nav function to be the equal of the cheapest separate GPS (TomTom, Garmin, etc.)  While it's nice to have it on board and built in to the phone, we have too many pre-existing holes in our area (Western Oregon) that made the onboard GPS function less than dependable.  The main reason for this is the need to download the maps as we drive.  If we could download maps onto the micro sd for use while on the road, the navigator would be much more useful, a la' the TomTom app for iPhone.

The  cheapest Garmin / Tom Tom / etc. units are lacking compared to the Nav  app in my Palm Pre, whereas the higher end stand-alone units have more  features and functions than my phone's Nav. It's a compromise as always:  Size / cost / performance.

I'm a heavy user of navigation when traveling, and  even in the local area when going to some place I've not been before (or  only maybe once in the past 20 years, and the roads have changed).

Sprint  Nav on a smartphone is a very good service, included in the price of  current smartphone plans, and very fast to reroute, also the maps are  automatically updated (on the servers) on a constant basis. Stand alone  GPS navigators need to have their maps updated repeatedly over time,  either at extra cost each time they are updated, or with "lifetime*"  updates paid for at time of purchase of the unit.

One additional point in the smartphone's favor is that  with all the features and functions built in to one small device it  drastically reduces the sheer number of $200 portable devices one must  stuff into one's pockets and drag around (phone, camera, GPS,  calculator, etc.).

With the now drastically  reduced Sprint coverage, I have indeed purchased a standalone GPS nav  unit (Garmin 1450LMT) that I otherwise would not have purchased, set up  for yet another 12V powered device in my car, and am learning to cope  with yet another device that needs to be fiddled with and not left in  the car. Very simply a fine device that is an additional PITA that I did  not need before.

Tom

* Lifetime: The normal commercial life of the unit,  NOT the life of the owner or the actual product, per the fine print in  the offers...

Highlighted
Journeyman

hey, quick question, wouldnt you still be able to use google maps in this area? If this is true, I personally dont see the big deal. We know that Sprint isnt as big as VZW or ATT, so it makes more sense for them to develop their networks in the larger markets as that is where the customer base is. As long as I can make calls, receive and send texts, and do basic internet surfing on the go, I am cool with this.

Highlighted
Wizard

gth333 wrote:

hey, quick question, wouldnt you still be able to use google maps in this area? If this is true, I personally dont see the big deal. We know that Sprint isnt as big as VZW or ATT, so it makes more sense for them to develop their networks in the larger markets as that is where the customer base is. As long as I can make calls, receive and send texts, and do basic internet surfing on the go, I am cool with this.

Google Maps Navigation is only available (as a Beta) on Google Android devices - not on any other type of mobile device.

SEE: http://www.google.com/mobile/maps/

Sprint's coverage map information say that "location services" (GPS) are not available while roaming.

Getting a static map on a business card size screen is not "navigation." Getting static directions on a business card sized screen is not "navigation."

When data roaming one is limited to a maximum of 300Mb/billing period - one can burn through that in one day of web browsing.

Service station maps (which I do carry as a backup) are better than current non-navigation alternatives available on cellphones or smartphones - neither give turn-by-turn directions to the driver, but at least the paper maps are reliable.

Tom

Highlighted
Journeyman

okay. That makes sense.

Luckily, I dont frequent the midwest and west regions very often.

Community News

This is a PUBLIC ARCHIVE board, all artciles are read only.

Please click here to search the Active Community.