cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Washington D.C. Metropolitan Area Cell Phone Coverage

Journeyman

Washington D.C. Metropolitan Area Cell Phone Coverage

Reiterating what I've already posted in the other two threads due to a lack of response and or clarification:

I live next to Old Town Alexandria (22310) and commute to Washington DC - (20002). I am constantly roaming with little to no reception, internet conectivity is laughable and I cannot use hardly any of apps due to the spotty connectivity. Typically I have 2-3 bars Roaming, no 3G Coverage and if I happen to have the 4G antenna turned on, maybe a split second 4G connection.

This was brought to the attention of Sprint months ago. I too was also asked to provide my home and work zip codes so that the towers would be checked. They also explained that there were no outtages. The local Sprint store tried basic troubleshooting (powering on and off and updating the firmware, etc.). When I signed up for Sprint my Samsung Epic 4g worked flawlessly, now it's a joke. I'm fed up enough with it as to where I'm most likely going to switch back over to Verizon and call it a day. My wifes IPhone 4s through Sprint in the same coverage area isn't quite as bad with the internet but dropped calls are out of hand. Even Sprint to Sprint!

I have a year left on my plan and am having serious doubts.

To me, this seems like equipment but its obvious something changed. Regardless, my co-workers Verizon both personal and business lines have constant 4G Coverage and if that becomes spotty, ridiculously quick 3G speeds for both Droid and IPhone devices.

10 REPLIES 10
Wizard

Re: Washington D.C. Metropolitan Area Cell Phone Coverage

E.McKenna,

Thank you for using Sprint Community to report your issues.  I'll be glad to assit you any way that I can.  Given that your device has been examined at the store, I would like to do some research on your area.  If you wouldn't mind sending me a private message with some information, I'd greatly appreciate it.

To send a private message:

1.  Click on my name (Below my picture)

2.  Select Send a private message (Under Actions on the far right)

Information needed:

1.  Your first and last name

2.  Your number and other numbers on the account with the same issue

3.  An alternate contact number, other than the number you're experiencing issues with

4.  The approximate date/time that your issue began

5.  The physical addresses where you most experience your issues

6.  An email address

After reviewing this information, I may need to escalate your issue to our networking technicians.  Note:  Please only send this information via private message to protect your personal information.

Sincerely,

Fergie_B

Sprint Technical Support
Hours: 9am-8pm CST Sunday-Wednesday

Journeyman

Fergie - I would escalate the issue. You had mentioned that my system software was out of date. Unfortunately, it was not. All of my System updates are up to date (Firmware, Profile, PRL, Android).

Journeyman

I have had the same issue.  I have been dealing with the dropped calls for over a month in the DC/Arlington, VA area.  It's so bad that on a typical phone call it will drop so many times that I finally just don't call the person back.  It's very disruptive.  Also, data is so slow that texts and pictures won't go thru.  They continue to say that there is no tower outage.  Apple and Sprint have run diagnostics on the phone/network.  It isn't the phone.  It's Sprint's capacity.  I have managed to get a $33 credit on my account, which, for the number of times I have called and been lied to about this- is frankly unacceptable.  For a customer that has been with Sprint for so long this is a slap in the face.  They better get it fixed soon or I will be canceling my contract and I will NOT be paying any fees. 

Wizard

To all of the above.  Please bear with me.  I've been out of town for the past 5 days and am getting caught up on my private messages and posts.  I'll be glad to escalate your issues as soon as I can.

Sincerely

Fergie_B

Sprint Technical Support
Hours: 9am-8pm CST Sunday-Wednesday

Journeyman

Since this post normally comes up on the first page of Google I thought it would be appropiate to update the Sprint user community. The local Sprint store in Northern Virginia decided it best to completely replace my phone. Unfortunately nothing ever became of the escalation request mentioned by Fergie above. I was told that my phone most likely had a bad internal antenna. Within those three months I'm experiencing the same issues once again.

• Calls are constantly dropped
  • Txt messages fail to send
  • Incoming callers report that my phone seems as though it is powered off even though I have it powered up - straight to VM.
  • Almost all of my apps have connection related problems.
  • Streaming Video and Internet use is no-go.

I now average 1-2 Bars (3G), No 4G Coverage and at times (believe it or not) I end up Roaming.

I contacted Sprint Customer Service and explained my situation. I told them that I would like to switch to an IPhone (4S) since my wife and my best friend (through Sprint) seem to have manageable Data speeds and reliable coverage. Keep in mind I wasn't requesting reimbursement for the non-existent coverage instead just an option. If my first phone had this problem and the second as well, than I figured it had to be the Sprint coverage from N.VA to DC coupled with my phone. The Sprint Rep. suggested that I go through the process of having my phone replaced once again. After another ten minute common sense discussion I decided that I wanted to try another phone.

My only option was to pay $220.00 for a expedited device upgrade. Unreal. There was no assistance or understanding provided. This experience is as close to what I would equate financing a brand new car, month to month with a blown engine would be like. I eventually told the Customer Service Rep. that I would like to look into porting my number over to Verizon. The Sprint Representative than wanted to almost immediately see if I wanted to cancel today. At the end of it I was given the generic 1800 # and told to speak with their Retention Team. If you Google Sprint Retention Team you'll see that there's no difference between a 1 year and a 12 year customer.

I switched from Verizon to Sprint for a reason. Friends and family enjoyed the rates and coverage from years past. I never would have expected that I would now be moving towards a change back to Verizon.

BTW- There are posts online all the way back to June/July of 2011 talking about Sprint Tower Upgrades.Is a degradation of service part of my contract?

Journeyman

Since this post normally comes up on the first page of Google I thought it would be appropiate to update the Sprint user community. The local Sprint store in Northern Virginia decided it best to completely replace my phone. Unfortunately nothing ever became of the escalation request mentioned by Fergie above. I was told that my phone most likely had a bad internal antenna. Within those three months I'm experiencing the same issues once again.

• Incoming callers report that my phone seems as though it is powered off even though I have it powered up - straight to VM.

I now average 1-2 Bars (3G), No 4G Coverage and at times (believe it or not) I end up Roaming.

I contacted Sprint Customer Service and explained my situation. I told them that I would like to switch to an IPhone (4S) since my wife and my best friend (through Sprint) seem to have manageable Data speeds and reliable coverage. Keep in mind I wasn't requesting reimbursement for the non-existent coverage instead just an option. If my first phone had this problem and the second as well, than I figured it had to be the Sprint coverage from N.VA to DC coupled with my phone. The Sprint Rep. suggested that I go through the process of having my phone replaced once again. After another ten minute common sense discussion I decided that I wanted to try another phone.

My only option was to pay $220.00 for a expedited device upgrade. Unreal. There was no assistance or understanding provided. This experience is as close to what I would equate financing a brand new car, month to month with a blown engine would be like. I eventually told the Customer Service Rep. that I would like to look into porting my number over to Verizon. The Sprint Representative than wanted to almost immediately see if I wanted to cancel today. At the end of it I was given the generic 1800 # and told to speak with their Retention Team. If you Google Sprint Retention Team you'll see that there's no difference between a 1 year and a 12 year customer.

I switched from Verizon to Sprint for a reason. Friends and family enjoyed the rates and coverage from years past. I never would have expected that I would now be moving towards a change back to Verizon.

BTW- There are posts online all the way back to June/July of 2011 talking about Sprint Tower Upgrades.Is a degradation of service part of my contract?

Journeyman

BTW- There are posts online all the way back to June/July of 2011 talking about Sprint Tower Upgrades.Is a degradation of service with no support part of my contract?

Journeyman

I was told today that a part was needed for a Tower that has been having issues in Alexandria. The fix is ""scheduled"" to be completed tomorrow.  The initial Sprint Rep was great and told me that the success rate for connecitons was pitiful and pretty bad. Coupled with my older device (Epic 4g) The connection success percentage was staggering. Long story short, Sprint offered me a moderate rebate for the last four months of awful service. Apparently since I am only able to connect at home and at my office (through WIFI) no service inbetween that was acceptable to the Retention Team Manager. If I was to go down that route why would I need a mobile device? They advised me to keep replacing my "faulty" device over and over again to abide by their standards. No further assitance was offered. BTW - If I wanted to get an IPhone 4s (a known working device in our coverage area) I would have to cough up $220.00

Off to the Sprint Store. If this doesn't fix it than I'm off to Verizon!

Journeyman

Don't let them tell you that.  I live and work in DC/NOVA region, have an iphone 4s and I still have the same issues you do.  In fact, they tried to tell me that it was my iphone, so I got it replaced.  Still experiencing the same trouble.  They credited me a whopping $33 for next to no service for 2 months.  I have yet to call back and try to get a refund fo the crap service over the last 4 months.  The Spring reps are now admitting how terrible it is but there's nothing they can do about it.  I will absolutely not be renewing my contract when it ends.  They would have to pay ME to do that.   I was told these issues will span thru 2013 and into 2014 before the network is completely upgraded and working properly.  Some "customer service".

Journeyman

Sprint tried that stunt with me, i didnt let them, i told them countless times its not my phone.

Community News

This is a PUBLIC ARCHIVE board, all artciles are read only.

Please click here to search the Active Community.