Sprint Community is currently read-only. Please use the My Sprint app or Sprint.com to manage your account. If you need assistance, please visit Sprint.com/chat
Sprint Community is currently read-only. Please use the My Sprint app or Sprint.com to manage your account. If you need assistance, please visit Sprint.com/chat
Sprint Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

When is 4g going to be avaliable.

Highlighted
Journeyman

Tags (1)
17 REPLIES 17
Highlighted
Journeyman

NEVER!  You are now LOCKED INTO A CONTRACT! SO WHAT CAN YOU DO? NOTHING!

Highlighted
Journeyman

I assume what your really asking is "When will 4G be available nationwide" the answer isn't that easy. Basically....its gonna be awhile.

The real question is whether Sprint is going to switch from WiMax to LTE or have some sort of Hybrid of both?

The best we can do right now is check www.clear.com for coverage updates of WiMax.

Highlighted
Journeyman

It is available. Just not on sprint. Correction: It's available to pay for 4g with sprint. Not to experience it.

Journeyman

Sprint/Clear has quietly added hundreds and hundreds of 4G towers in the past few months.  More than 400 cities now have some sort of coverage.  Check out this thread for a complete list http://www.community.sprint.com/baw/thread/69529.  You can go to Clear.com and view their coverage maps for detailed showing of coverage.

Highlighted
Wizard

GLENNGRAM, thanks for posting.  4G is currently available, it just may not currently be available in your area.  To check out the latest info and news on 4G and where you can find it, check out www.sprint.com/4g .

~ Nicholas

GLENNGRAM wrote:

Highlighted
Wizard

Jeremiah1925, there are a plethora of 4G locations currently nationwide.  To check the 4G coverage map, go here: www.sprint.com/4g

~ Nicholas

Highlighted
Journeyman

SprintCares, nothing like being able to use 4g "inside some buildings (wish my house and workplace fell under these buildings), in a car (while i'm driving? lol against the law), and outside (sweet, where 4g can drain my battery without an outlet in sight to recharge)." Thanks SprintCares! Paying $10/month for a service I've never been able to use rocks!!!! I love paying for a non-experience.

Highlighted
Journeyman

Plethora would not be the term I would use since there is only one city (Grand Rapids) in the entire state of Michigan with 4G. Still waiting on promised 4G after having my phone for almost 14 months now.

Highlighted
Master

Sprint does not post 4G cooverage until the installation in a area is completed.  When 4g converage is put in by Clear ist shows up on there coverage map first.  There is coverge in alteast 10 cities in Michigan right now  the only city full rolled out is grandrapids.   When you pick up signals in other cities you can certainly use them

Highlighted
Journeyman

That's great but, regardless, in the greater Detroit area (Detroit, Sterling Heights, Warren, etc) I have yet to see any 4G service. I am constrantly on the lookout for it too. With this being the largest city and metro area in the state, that speaks volumes that there is no blanket 4G service in the area after this long a time. The 8th largest state in the US (population wise) too.  I think what most people have issue with is there is no committed timetable that is published to even know if there is a light at the end of the tunnel.

Highlighted
Journeyman

Has sprint stopped expanding its 4g?

shelbyville071311.jpgClick on Map to Enlarge

Did you have your 4G antenna on and click "Scan for Service?"  Did it show the 4G icon, but no bars?  Or did it never show a 4G icon at all?

Additionally, this is a "Protection Site."  Protection sites are early limited deployments that Sprint/Clear have installed to meet the FCC Minimum Service Mandates that are a part of their licensing.

One thing about Protection Site deployments is that they typically have their antennas pointed straight out from the tower, not angled toward the ground (and users).  This provides maximum coverage area, but not the best connection signal.  Also, this causes the signal not to penetrate buildings very well (which 2.5GHz frequency is already challenged at doing).  So most likely, unless you are very close to the tower, you will not be able to use this 4G signal indoors.  Best success is using it outdoors or in a car.

You can find out about Sprint 4G towers going live at my Facebook blog at: http://www.facebook.com/pages/Sprint-4G-Rollout-Updates/257896107561168.  I post notifications every time a new tower goes live, as well as other interesting 4G information.  Like, "What is a Protection Site?"

Community News

This is a PUBLIC ARCHIVE board, all artciles are read only.

Please click here to search the Active Community.