cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Why Oklahoma doesn't have a 4G Market (Tulsa & Oklahoma City)

Highlighted
Journeyman

Why Oklahoma doesn't have a 4G Market (Tulsa & Oklahoma City)

Its so frustrating that Oklahoma has no 4G coverage at all. I figure at least the two major metropolitan areas would be worthy but come to find out the entire state isn't. I'm paying for 4G coverage with no service, sprint's excuses are ridiculous and don't make sense. I'm also upset with the yet to come OTA android 2.3 update for their highest selling device; the HTC EVO©.                                                                                                                 -sincerely, a very unhappy costumer

22 REPLIES 22
Highlighted
Journeyman

SE Tulsa (71st & Memorial) had 4g when I was there in February.

Highlighted
Journeyman

no way it would of been advertising for it...

Highlighted
Master

kendrickjamison wrote:

Its so frustrating that Oklahoma has no 4G coverage at all. I figure at least the two major metropolitan areas would be worthy but come to find out the entire state isn't. I'm paying for 4G coverage with no service, sprint's excuses are ridiculous and don't make sense. I'm also upset with the yet to come OTA android 2.3 update for their highest selling device; the HTC EVO©.                                                                                                                 -sincerely, a very unhappy costumer

The Premium Data Add-on is not a charge for 4G access. The add-on initially was required only on the 4G capable devices, but now all smartphones require this add-on when being activated.

The only devices currently with Android 2.3 are Google's own Nexus 1 and Nexus S devices. No other currently released Android device has an official 2.3 release yet.

Highlighted
Journeyman

There is no reason for you not to believe MREED112 but since you don't head over to www.clear.com/coverage and try searching OK City, Tulsa, Stillwater and you will see light green.  Light green indicates outside coverage.  Sprint won't advertise that, don't expect to see anything from Sprint until Clearwire starts rolling out "Best" Clear coverage (inside.)

Highlighted
Journeyman

I can't speak for Tulsa, but I just got my Samsung Epic 4G phone this afternoon and I have 4G service (and fairly strong 4G signal strength) at NW 36th & Portland near where I work. Still don't believe it? I downloaded the speedtest.net application and ran three speed tests, and got 4.2, 3.9, and 4.7mbp/s down, and right at 1.0-1.1 mbp/s up...that's most assuredly 4G, not 3G speeds, even though the "official" 4G speed is supposed to measure closer to 6 mbp/s. However, the other posters aer correct....look at the Clearwire maps and anywhere you see light green there is coverage (and keep in mind I ran these speed tests INSIDE a commercial building-the outside speeds are likely even higher). No, 4G isn't "officially" turned on in OKC and Tulsa, but unofficially many areas do have it and it can be accessed.

Highlighted
Journeyman

Sprint has turned on one 4G tower in Ponca City, OK. It doesn't cover all of Ponca so I am hoping they are planning to update the rest of the area soon.  Speeds are very fast!!  Speedtest.net app on my EVO is currenlty showing 5457 download and 930 upload speeds.  Last night I had 6695 download and 1050 upload.

Highlighted
Journeyman

The 4g coverage on northwest expressway is the damn Sprint Technical support call center they have at Northwest Expressway and Council behind the sams club.You can use it, but its limited speed because they use it for device testing there. I was told the 4g roll out in oklahoma city was happening 2 years ago, and thats when i was an employee there. Sprint is not focused on deploying here because it wont make them any more money. people are already paying for slow speeds.

Highlighted
Journeyman

oklahomacity071211.jpgClick on Map to Enlarge

If you count Norman, there are now four Sprint 4G towers active in the Oklahoma City area.  It would take more than two dozen to provide seamless 4G service throughout the metro area.  However, there has been some slow progress made this year in OKC for 4G service.  Emphasis on slow!

tulsa071211.jpgClick on Map to Enlarge

Tulsa now has three towers!  So if you get a 4G signal when you are out and about, FREEZE!  Otherwise, you'll get dropped!

However, there is some good news.  Stillwater got 4G service a month ago.

Highlighted
Journeyman

I can't believe Edmond doesn't have 4G.  I think Sprint has more than enough customers up here with 4G devices to justify putting towers up here.

Highlighted
Journeyman

Why should I stay with Sprint?  Verzion has and T-mobil have 4G here in Tusla.  I have called and sent e-mails to Sprint and have been told there are not plans to have 4G in Tulsa.  My contract is up in November so why should I stay with Sprint?

Highlighted
Master

There are some places in OKC that have 4G but the "end of wimax" expansion with Clear came too soon.

You can use sensorly app to see where there is coverage.  I agree it is frustrating to be so close but so far away - and if you are on 50th and May you have 4G - wow

Larry ~ OKIESTRO

Community News

This is a PUBLIC ARCHIVE board, all artciles are read only.

Please click here to search the Active Community.