cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Why Sprint uses CDMA technology on iPhone 4S instead of GSM?

Highlighted

Why Sprint uses CDMA technology on iPhone 4S instead of GSM?

I was just wondering this, since GSM here on my location (00777) its better, faster and stronger than CDMA... Also AT&T has already LTE and HSPA+ here on my location with a DATA speed up to 14mbps and Sprint does'nt reach even 512kbps.

2 REPLIES 2
Master

Re: Why Sprint uses CDMA technology on iPhone 4S instead of GSM?

Sprint's entire billing system and provisioning is CDMA - you cant change when the foundation is CDMA there is not a way to just switch to GSM

Larry ~ OKIESTRO

Journeyman

Re: Why Sprint uses CDMA technology on iPhone 4S instead of GSM?

GSM is a 2G TDMA standard for voice calls invented and mandated in Europe in the 1980s.  Its 3G successor, GPRS is a W-CDMA technology that replaced it (although most carriers still have old 2G GSM as a fallback).  HSPA is an enhanced GPRS system that is like 3G+.  4G will be LTE on these systems.

CDMA (CDMAOne) is a more-efficient standard based upon military communication systems that was released for commercial use in 1995.  It is far superior to GSM-- so much so that everyone's 3G technology used CDMA technology.  For 3G evolution, the CDMA2000 standard was released in 1999 that included the EVDO that we call 3G data today.  Since the technology was backward compatible and a simple evolution of the original 2G CDMA standard, it replaced the 2G standard everywhere.  For 4G use, the CDMA carriers will also use LTE.

"GSM" is a misnomer as it is technically a 2G standard.  It was replaced by GPRS as a 3G standard, which is W-CDMA.  Basically in the 3G world, ALL systems are CDMA based-- they just have different implmentations.

Community News

This is a PUBLIC ARCHIVE board, all artciles are read only.

Please click here to search the Active Community.