cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Why do big cities get high data speeds while we get dial-up speeds?

Highlighted
Journeyman

Why do big cities get high data speeds while we get dial-up speeds?

We pay the same amount the people do in the city and we get dial-up speeds while they have broadband speeds.

In the 27807 area code I have recorded the Internet many times as 20 -100 kbps.  At night the speeds reach up to

1 mbps but nobody is up to use the data not even me. We have no broadband services in our town at all. Only dial-up or

a mobile broadband connection which isnt that fast.

There need to be some major improvements in many 3g coverage areas. I think they should strive to provide atleast

1mbps  speed data to most 3g areas or upgrade them to 4g by the end of this year and concentrate a little less on big cities.

6 REPLIES 6
Highlighted
Master

Re: Why do big cities get high data speeds while we get dial-up speeds?

I certainly understand your concern.  Part of the problem in rural areas is the coverage density.  In you area there are a total of 3 towers.  Two of the towers cover the approaches to the town and the other provides service in your area.  This means the tower is at capacity for data most of the day.  There are plans to up the capacity of the tower serving your area in august.   The reason big cities get more attention is simply more people  It cost about the same to build a tower in your area as in a densely populated area   in one area we increase service for a few hundred people  in a large city we may affect thousands.  Evdo speeds are considered normal between 700Kb and 1.4 MB

Highlighted
Journeyman

So you are saying in August Sprint will upgrade the towers to give speeds of 700kb to 1.4mb? If so that would be great.

Highlighted
Journeyman

Simple economics. There aren't enough potential customers in rural areas to make it worthwhile to spend a significant amount of money building out an infrastructure. No ROI.

Journeyman

well these cities there updating to lte already have wimax what about all the places that were promised wimax two years ago and still have worthless data its a slap in the face if you ask me you think im gonna go and buy an lte phone when i never even got what i was promised then instead of starting with the people they screwed over your gonna give people that have good speeds better speeds wow thats all i can say i dont see anyway to fix this with me unless they give me free lte phones to make up for there deception im just waitin to move on

Highlighted
Journeyman

One word: punctuation.

Highlighted
Journeyman

I can tell you one thing. I live and work in a "big city" (Southern California, Los Angeles and Orange Counties). And there are many areas (in fact almost I go to currently) where my data speed is pretty close to dial-up speeds. 6 months ago, different story, but right now, my Sprint data is so slow, I am very tempted to take the ETF (or argue out of it) and go to another service. The only thing that holds me back is my service in one area (where no other carrier hits due to tower placement) and my current phone situation (I don't think it's a good time to buy a new phone on contract, since I'm an iPhone user currently).

Don't know if that make you feel better, but in my "big city" we're in about the same boat as you.

Edit: For the record, my predominant zip code areas are 92602, 92868, and 90822, but the slow data is just about everywhere I go.

Community News

This is a PUBLIC ARCHIVE board, all artciles are read only.

Please click here to search the Active Community.