Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Why is Detroit still without 4g? & w/out reasonable 3g? RANT

Highlighted
Journeyman

mdines wrote:

@rawvega

You just don't get it. When an official Sprint representative tells you that a service will be there by a certain time period, and you rely upon that promise as part of the deal in joining a company, and that promise never becomes a reality, or not within the promised time period or a reasonable time period thereafter, then you should be allowed to exit contract without ETF. Additionally, I used my phone for the 30 day period and 3g was sufficient at that time, from about 2 months into contract I started to get worse than dial up 3g speeds, that has persisted and worsened over time. So don't pull that buyer beware BS with me, or the other individuals who relied on a reliable data connection with reliable and usable speeds. For your information according to Sprint's map, I should have the best 3g coverage just about everywhere I go. I am lucky to get speeds that resemble dial up now.

BELIEVE YOU ME, HAD THE NETWORK GONE TO **** IN THE FIRST 30 DAYS OF HAVING THE PHONE, I WOULDN'T BE A SPRINT CUSTOMER!

NExT TIME READ MY WHOLE POST!

I get 'it' just fine. It's you who don't seem to get it. You entered into a legally binding contract based solely on the word of sales rep(s). Is there anything in your contract about this alleged promise of 4G? No, there isn't. Caveat emptor isn't BS, it's good advice. Do your own research instead relying solely on alleged promises of salespeople. I mean if I sell you a car and I promise you that there will be a V-8 under the hood and a couple of months later you discover that it's actually a 4-cylinder, do you think that there's any way that you're going to get out of that car note just because you may have been promised something and it turned out not to be accurate? Fat chance...Bottom line: Grow up and start being accountable for your own financial decisions instead of believing everything that salespeople tell you. Oh and for your information, Sprint 3G coverage map (that would be the orange, not the green) doesn't display gradients of "Best", "Good", "Fair", etc.

Journeyman

While ClearWire may not show 4g for Detroit, it looks like they haven't forgotten Michigan alll together.  If you look at www.clear.com/coverage and go to Michigan, you'll see several areas:  Grand Rapids, Landsing, Flint, Sarnia, Benton Heights, and Kalamazoo. To your south, Toledo, OH and Elkhart, IN have coverage too.  Look on that site and you will see how little by little ClearWire is still adding 4G in more places.

Journeyman

Sensorly is now reporting 4G Downtown Detroit!!!!!

Check it out, here. I'm going to be going downtown this weekend and will run around with the app running to report back exactly where it is. While this isn't at the level it should be atleast they've started to roll it out.

Journeyman

Interesting. Just as a good viable alternative like the Thunderbolt and 4G service is starting to come available, then and only then they put up 1 tower to placate customers anxiety enough to try and maintain customer base in the 9th largest metro area. I've been with Sprint for 13 years and until I made the move to my EVO with the promises of 4G service I have had no complaints. After dealing with a data connection of 300kb waiting for the 4G speed for almost a year now I started to look at alternatives. Breaking the contract is $160. Verizon 450minute with data plan is $76  a month. I've been alienated both as a customer and as a Detroiter. Services are been give to markets that have populations of 20,000 before you get service to SE Michigan. Why? .......Nothing in response from Sprint. No explanations, no promised time to expect service....Just a bill for $10 a month!!!!!

Detroit Metro just doesn't matter as far as a market goes to Sprint. If it did, then why the lack of response on expected rollout. The sales people are exactly that...SALES people. There job is....to move product. So, dont go to a sales person with expectation of honesty and openess when they 1) dont have any exposure to the technical underpinnings of the cell network and 2) are rated by the merchandise they are able to move. Besides it's not their responsibility. Sprint as a company has taken $120 of my money and given me no promise of a timeline of service. Just a phone. It is the companies job to communicate expectations and time lines and I find the irony on a communications company not communicating to its customers ironic at best and frustrating to say the least.

My options are open and I speak best with the dollars I spend. If this is the norm of the experience that I am to expect from Sprint then you know how I will speak....with dollars spent at a company that respects its customers. Sorry Sprint but your reputation is more than a little damaged in my and all the other customers eyes in SE Michigan. I hope that some day you will respect the customers....

Signed,

Disrespected and soon to be x customer

Journeyman

I guess I choose to see the glass as half full.  You seem to be a "what glass" person.  That or you are hoping that some one from Sprint will see your rants and will try to placate you with some kind of.deal.  in either case I guess there is no pleasing you.  I used to be like that, but I realized I was only harming myself and making no difference on others.

Journeyman

You're definately right.   You went out of your way to mention where you had seen some coverage.  So his rant that there was NO coverage is no longer valid.  So now the rant is that there are not more towers.   If there were more towers, then his rant wouldd be why there isn't one on his block.   If there was one on his block the rant would be why he doens't he get signal in his basement, and on and on.

I would be willing to bet that there wasn't years of bliss between him and Sprint in the past.   Also, he needs to correct his information about Detroit.  Detroit is not ranked 9th.  It is ranked 11th both the by city proper as well as the Detroit MSA.   I couldn't find data later than 2009, but I seriously doubt that Detroit jumped to 9th from 11th last year since Detroit's decline is the main reason that Michigan is the only state that has lost population.  Here is the 2009 MSA rankings:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Table_of_United_States_Metropolitan_Statistical_Areas

No one wishes Detroit ill.  However, this idea to get mad at Sprint &/or Clearwire because some sales rep said 4G will soon be in Detroit is silly.   What if the same sales rep had said Sprint stock would soon be soaring.  If you bought stock, and it didn't soar, would you blame it on Sprint?  I would hope not.

Journeyman

Hey, mdines. I am glad you opened my eyes up to the fact I am not alone. I am a HTC T2 user who was going to buy the 4G EVO Shift tomorrow. However, since reading your well written indepth letter of concern, I think it will be best to wait on making any purchases from Sprint. That customer service issue, I share with you. Yet, I can't see myself getting one of the latest phones out that has so much capabilities, but will not be able to use them......but will be charged a $10 fee anyway every month? Humph! Not me. I will save my purchases, avoid a $10 fee for nothing, get rid of the family locator ($5 mth- actually $10....I have two phones), and make sure I don't enter into another contract. Keep those Bi-weekly statements going their way. I will do the same. Take care. Sincerely, Clownface528.

Journeyman

there is a tower (or 2) in detroit, but coverage seems to be hit or miss in the area.

Check this thread

http://community.sprint.com/baw/thread/64655?start=15&tstart=0&sm_user=syndre_00&profile_id=15840997

Journeyman

I was one of the first customers to buy the Samsung Epic (bought two from BestBuy) when it first came out, in anticipation of 4g, in which they said by the end of year DTW will have 4g.  I've been a loyal Sprint customer for over 10 years, and will seriously consider switching providers once my contract is over, even if it costs more.

Journeyman

Well, I couldn't be happier, I switched to Verizon with the Thunderbolt. Let me just say this, the Thunderbolt is a better phone, Verizon's 4g runs circles around Sprint's 4g, the service allows for simultaneous voice and data (even on 3g), and I just could not be happier.

To make things even better, service is consistently great, Verizon's 4g is 3x faster than my Comcast broadband, and Wifi Hotspot is Free til may 15th!

Journeyman

So it looks like they are slowly rolling out 4G in the Detroit area.  There is a small area near my office in Southfield that has it, and the Sensorly maps seem to show it spreading outward from Detroit.  My office is near the Lodge, and it looks like it's up most of the way along the Lodge.  Looks like something of a soft launch.  They're still putting it in, it seems, but letting people use it while they do. 

Journeyman

I am in Canton too. Seriously, when is it coming in Canton? I work in Dearborn at Ford ITek building on Lundy Parkway. That is not covered either. Seriously, why is Sprint eating my $10 per month for free? I need it now! Enough with the wait already!

Community News

This is a PUBLIC ARCHIVE board, all artciles are read only.

Please click here to search the Active Community.