cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Why is Detroit still without 4g? & w/out reasonable 3g? RANT

Journeyman

I want to start by saying I switched from AT&T last July because of Sprint Reps promising that the Detroit Market would have 4g service by the end of last summer, the end of August to be exact. That never panned out. I was somewhat satisfied with my service because 3g seemed to be satisfactory during the first couple months of service (1.6-2.5mbps), however my switch was for the coming 4g. Now, 8 months later and Detroit is the only major metro in the country without Sprint WiMax coverage. Metro PCS, Verizon, T-Mobile, even AT&T now have 4g services in the Metro Detroit area, however Sprint fails to even light up a test 4g tower.

WTF! Seriously, I am pissed. My 3g speeds are in the toilet, likely because of all the Sprint 4g devices sold here which have no 4g network to use and the fact they are bogging the 3g network down. On top of it all, I don't really care that everybody pays this $10 fee now regardless of whether or not their phones are 4g capable or not, I get no premium data service anymore and you shouldn't be charging me for it, let alone for two Evo 4gs.

For fun I sat down with 3 classmates the other day, one on Verizon, one on T-Mobile, and one on AT&T. We all have Android smartphones and all had the speedtest.net app installed. Running the test, my 3g speeds were a whopping .05 mbps, compared with 2.5, 5.1, and 3.4 respectively. This is just rediculous.

Sprint, I plead with you, if not because your representatives promised (3 in total) that Metro Detroit would get 4g at the end of last summer, give us 4g because your 3g network is taxed and horrendous here in the Metro Detroit area and it seems necessary in order to alleviate it.

Sprint, if you are not going to implement 4g, then muster up the balls to give your customers a realistic report, I don't need to hear "It's coming soon" anymore, I have heard that for 8 months. Furthermore, I switched for the 4g, and now I hear you are thinking screw it, we messed up, maybe we need to be using LTE instead. Is my Evo 4g, which was released and advertised as a 4g phone destined for the cellular graveyard before it even had a chance to utilize the WiMax technology?

Additionally Sprint, you have had towers down around the area in which I live, Oak Park, MI, for two months. Tickets are opened and closed on a daily basis per your tech support. Your free Airave is nice, but come on, why am I getting taxed my anytime minutes to use it? Isn't my continuously degrading service sufficient enough of a punishment (for doing nothing but jumping on the "Sprint 4g bandwagon"? The fact that I had good service and then you essentially have taken it away due to tech incompetence? Seriously, how many tickets need be opened and closed before the problem is fixed?

Regarding customer service and transfers: I can think of only once or twice out of the many times that I have called Sprint CS that I have not been transferred. Many times I was transferred multiple times in one call session. Why do I have to keep giving my phone number, name, pin #, and reason for calling FOR EVERY SINGLE CSR rep? Don't any of you communicate? Aren't the notes and logs you record instantly submitted and time stamped? Seriously!

What ticks me off most, is had I known that Sprint would be giving the Metro Detroit area the 4g Stiffy, I would have stuck with my unlimited data plan with AT&T, or signed up with another carrier with unlimited data, been grandfathered in, and wouldn't have a lack of options to switch to now (almost all companies have limited or removed their unlimited plans).

All I can say Sprint, is that though people may not be voicing it enough, or maybe because you are refusing to listen, you have a market of Metro Detroiters that feel cheated, lied to, neglected, frustrated, and the list goes on. Almost all Sprint customers I know are incredibly dissatisfied and ready to jump ship as soon as possible.

To those who are reading, this was not really written to communicate with Sprint, I have done that on a bi to tri-weekly basis since being 2 months into contract. I know Sprint doesn't listen and I know they don't care. This is for all of you who feel my disappointment so that you know you are not alone.

36 REPLIES 36
Journeyman

I'm not too far from you in Ann Arbor and it's really frustrating to not have WiMax coverage. I've also had the run around with reps telling me "soon."

A couple things, first check out Sensorly, its an app you install and report back coverage on different carriers. As you can see WiMax has been reported to be in Lansing, Flint and now Toledo. I'm not sure what the hold up is on Metro Detroit but if Verizon is capable I don't see why Sprint can't pull it off too. The sad thing is local companies like 123.Net have live WiMax networks downtown, they're not compatible with Sprint's but it's just another example of someone else beating them to the market.

Journeyman

You took many words right out of my mouth. I'm also in Detroit metro, Canton to be exact. I can't tell you how disappointed I am in Sprint. It's not like we are talking about some small town here. I'm not sure who the rocket scientist was with the decision to put this area on the back burner, but he/she should be fired. Myself and many friends and family will be leaving Sprint over this as soon as the contracts expire. I'm sure there are thousands who feel this way. But apparently Sprint doesn't care about losing customers in one of the nations largest areas, because they had to know this would be the fallout by doing research, right? From what I have been reading it sounds like Detroit will be lucky to have 4g from Sprint by 2013. Are you kidding me ? The other carriers apparently thought it was a worthy market, since they have already established 4g here. I know this ranting is worthless but its very frustrating because honestly before this and losing my yearly upgrade I had no problems with Sprint. Just a waiting game now unless they give me a free ETF.

Journeyman

So check this out I always point this out. If an island can get 4G like Hawaii then why cant Detroit.

Journeyman

Re: Why is Detroit still without 4g? & w/out reasonable 3g? RANT

Guys I have been at the front lines of this battle for the past year+ now.

I have had a Sprint Overdrive device and now 3 HTC EVO Shifts since this battle began.

All Top 31 metro areas in the country have 4G except Metro Detroit at #9.

This is because of Stimulous dollars that Clearwire was trying to obtain that didnt pan out. Thats what i have concluded over the research I gathered.

Its just a pure shame they wont give us a solid answer.

Clearwire knows that the burbs are worth rolling out, but is afraid of Red-lining lawsuits.

Journeyman

Not all of them have it.  Indianapolis is 11th or something like that, and not only do we not have it, no plans for it either.  It makes me crazy when I see the deceptive commercials on TV. 

I didn't even find out that Indy didnt have 4G until  a couple days after I bought the phone.  You would think that if they use it as the big selling point, it would be reasonable to inform thier customers when it doesnt apply.  I mean, you might sell a few less phones but.....oh!  Never mind.

You would think that major areas like Indy and Detroit would have it.

And by the way...Go Tigers! 

Journeyman

Indy might not be officially 4G ready, but there is 4G there from Clearwire and its even on there own maps. Sensorly is lite up there as well. We havent had a single ping of any Sprint/Clearwire 4G in the entire Detroit Metro Area.

Journeyman

You obviously know a lot more about this than I do.

How do I utilize Clearwire or Sensorly?  My phone just  searchesnd searches for a signal and gets nothing.

Thanks and Good Luck to you guys getting something......

Journeyman

Android Marketplace... Type in Sensorly.

Journeyman

For an update, if you get consistently bad speeds, and you call customer service enough (I have been calling 2 to 3 x/week on my way too or from school) and you speak to the retention department enough times (the option to cancel service), eventually you may be as lucky as I was to have one of the Sprint Reps feel your pain and let you out of contract. I have been let out of contract and am now just waiting for the HTC Thunderbolt to come out so that I can switch to Verizon. Then again, my 3g speeds are 2g speeds in the metro Detroit area, I can only get reasonable speeds if I hack my phone to force roam on Verizon, and Sprint can't seem to fix tower issues in my area either.

All I can say is that if you want out of contract, be persistent and express kindly that the service really is of no value to you. The problem is that making numerous phone calls and creating records is a time consuming process.

I really would like to stay with sprint, but with a "premium data" phone that gets 2g speeds... well enough said.

If you read this thread and agree with what has been discussed in the first several posts, please post a message regarding your disappointment and help keep this thread at the top of the forum so that hopefully somebody at Sprint will take notice.

Journeyman

Sensorly is an app you install on your phone that reports back coverage so others can see what kinda coverage they can expect in a certain area. While it doesn't show any area people haven't been I find it very useful for knowing where 4G coverage is because Sprint has been very quiet lately about new markets.

Check out this link, the green is where people have detected WiMax.

Journeyman

The guys at the Sprint Store at 14 Mile / I-75 told me in December that 4g was due in the the 1st quarter of 2011. Well that means we get it in two weeks!

The story I have pick up is that there is some interference problem with a Canadian television station.

I agree we have been hustled with the refrain of it’s coming soon, and Sprint is becoming unbelievable.

Community News

This is a PUBLIC ARCHIVE board, all artciles are read only.

Please click here to search the Active Community.