cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Why not to get a new Sprint 4G LTE devices in Florida.

Journeyman

Why not to get a new Sprint 4G LTE devices in Florida.

I was wondering to upgrade my HTC Evo to a new LTE device. So, I called the sprint customer services to find out about the LTE coverage. They told me that the LTE will be available in Florida only by the end of 2013. This is at least 1 1/2 years. WHAT????? Believe me, the associate still try to convince that it would be good to me upgrade my phone. Are they out of their minds? Why I would pay $199 to a device that will run only on 3G  for the next 18 months (at least). With my Evo I can use WiMAX where I got coverage, but if I change now I will be stuck with 3G. And more, Sprint will lock me in another 2 years contract. I'M NOT STUPID!!!  The associate than transfer me to a "supervisor"  that try to explain me about the improvements that Sprint are doing (The Vision Network), bla, bla... Bla. At the end I told her that Sprint is too far behind on the new technology and doesn't make any sense to me to spend money RIGHT NOW with a phone that have no network support. I have 3 lines with Sprint right now and I am seriously think to move to another carrier. Sprint is messing around with this transition and promising too much for The Vision Network, just like they did with WiMAX 4G. By the way, Sprint should change the slogan from THE NOW NETWORK to THE VISION NETWORK. Will be more appropriate. SHOULD WE BELIEVE IT AGAIN?

Update: I had run a Sprint WiMAX test in comparation with a friend of mine using Verizon LTE. See the outside doors speed test below.

Sprint WiMAX results:                                                      

Test Cycles                                  6

Avg. Signal Strength             -81 dBm

Avg. Download Speed          2.7 Mbps

Avg. Upload Speed             147 Kbps  

Failed (Lost of Signal)                 2

Verizon LTE results:

Test Cycles                                  6

Avg. Signal Strength                -83 dBm

Avg. Download Speed            10.9 Mbps

Avg. Upload Speed                   2.6 Mbps

Failed (Lost of Signal)                 0

Can anyone tell me how fast will be the Sprint LTE ?

18 REPLIES 18
Journeyman

Re: Why not to get a new Sprint 4G LTE devices in Florida.

I agree wholeheartedly - I currently get wimax 4g at my home in Florida and in Las Vegas and New York and many other places with my original EVO - I love the new EVO LTE but it is COMPLETELY useless without 4g coverage. Are they out of their minds ?  I'm not sure what Dan Hesse is smoking but I would love to try some

Wizard

You're exactly right about your situation and it's one of the reasons I've posted several times seeking greater transparency in the LTE deployment.  The customers least likely to upgrade to the new LTE phones are those who currently have WIMAX service and don't have an official release date for LTE in their area.  However, that presents a problem when your phone has reached end of life (manufacturer perspective) and end of usefulness compared to the new lines of phones (customer perspective).  Unless Sprint releases tri-mode phones that will handle 3G/WIMAX/LTE (not likely), there's not much to convince you to stay.  It would be foolish for you to continue paying $10 a month for premium data when you'd actually be downgrading your speeds with a new phone.

I really hope they take a serious look at this problem and provide some customer-focused solutions for you and all the others in your boat.  As the summer progresses and a whole new line of LTE phones becomes available, they'll be turning their back on a significant portion of their current subscribers who do have good WIMAX coverage, but uncertain LTE access.  Sprint would have to run the numbers, but I'd think offering a 15-month contract for customers in current WIMAX markets would be possible.  It would allow you to upgrade to a newer WIMAX phone now and again upgrade to a LTE phone in 2013 when it's available in your area.  Yes, they'd lose $80/customer or so in subsidies, but I bet the retention rate would be nearly 100% for those customers...which should be the long-term focus.

Wizard

LTE will be deployed across Sprint's network by the end of 2013. Your area may get it sooner.

Wizard

That's what the OP stated.  The question is:  what is one to do who has an outdated WIMAX phone, currently gets great WIMAX signals, is looking to upgrade, but faces up to 20 months before LTE is available...assuming things stay on schedule?  Knowing that sometime between now and Dec 2013 most consumers will have LTE doesn't help what to do in the meantime.

Wizard

Knowing exactly when Sprint plans on activating LTE in your area wouldn't help much either...what would you do based on anticipated dates of 12/12, 5/13, or 9/13, for example?  Assuming that wimax will be discontinued at LTE implementation, all would require either that you give up 4G for a period, keep your old phone until implementation, purchase a used phone, or purchase a full retail phone.  And of course, if Sprint announced anticipated dates and you could make a decision based on that, many customers would be upset if LTE were actually activated a couple of months earlier or later than the anticipated date.

In my case, my old phone was giving me trouble, so I purchased a refurb Evo Shift on ebay about six months ago (I just hit my upgrade date last month), with which I am happy, for just a few dollars more than a new subsidized phone would cost, so I am set until LTE is implementated in my area and I will then use my upgrade discount.

Wizard

Buy a used 4G WiMAX phone like the last EVO 4G Design World phone or the Samsung Epic 4G Touch and survive on that until LTE is completely rolled out in your area.  I bought a Galaxy Nexus and returned it because Sprint 3G was horribly slow compared to the 4G WiMAX I was getting on my existing phone.  That and the fact it had horrible signal strength.  I think if you have a working WiMAX device and you enjoy it just stay with it.  It'll be at least mid 2013 before they are even on par with AT&T's current LTE rollout(which is no where as comprehensive as Verizon).  The thing holding us to Sprint is the generally strong voice capability particularly while moving between cell towers (no where near the dropped calls we experienced on AT&T) and a much lower cost. We pay almost $100 less a month than we would on Verizon.  Luckily we mainly need voice and only the occasional data because much of the time we're traveling we exist solely on the slow Sprint 3G network. 

Cheers,

Journeyman

All I can say is at least have the wimax available in your area.  I bought the original evo shortly after release and the kids at the sprint store told me every time I was in one of the stores that 4g was coming to Toledo in the coming months.  My wife wants me to hassle sprint for the extra 20$ a month we've been shelling out for 4g for the last year and a half.

I'd switch to verizon but it would cost so much more(I now envy my family and friends on verizon who were grandfathered into unlimited data).  The only advantage to no wimax in the area is I have no guilt upgading my phone when the time comes and play the waiting game again, this time for LTE.

Wizard

Yeah having WiMax is nice.  I am especially appeciative since trying the Galaxy Nexus and not having any 4G.  It was painful if I needed decent internet.  Pair that with Samsung's awful signal in some areas and the inability to use data while on the phone and you can see 3G alone is a non-starter. Our company has twice looked at switching to Verizon because of employee complaints about slow Sprint data, after we left T-Mobile (which was waaaay cheaper than Sprint) because of GSM and their infernal dropped calls.  However, the 20-25% price difference and the cost of cancelling service and buying all new phones keeps us firmly on Sprint for now.  As a pure phone it works reasonably well with hardly any dropped calls.  If Sprint's Network Vision upgrade is sucessful we'll stay and upgarde to LTE world phones. However, come fall 2013 w/o significant data improvement and we'll probably move to Verizon. 

Cheers,

Patron

ya'll are right on. 

i've been a happy sprint customer for 10'ish years ... and wimax in denver, we'll i've been fortunate (unlike other promised wimax sites around the country) ... my contract is up august 31st 2012 (the anniversary of the epic 4g launch date back in 2010) ... i'll be waiting for the iphone 5 and jump ship over to at&t whose lte is relatively small (in comparison to verizon), but hpsa+ offers adequate speed ...

should sprint right its lte stuff come 2014, i'll gladly rejoin, but i want to pay for the CURRENT USE, not FUTURE USE ...

finally, no more 2 year contracts for me ... 1 year is the limit (technology is changing at a quicker pace) ...

Journeyman

I agree, Why would you buy a LTE phone from Sprint when 1) They dont have the Network in Place. 2) By time the network is in place the Phone you bought will reach end of life. So by time Sprint catches up and LTE is in place the phones they have now will be outdated and you will guess what have to rebuy equiment. What are they smoking?? I am canceling and going to Verizon. They maybe more a month, but guess what they have LTE, and I bet they will get LTE advanced before Sprint.

Highlighted
Journeyman

I can remember in 2009 when Sprint announced the 4G WiMax and being told repeatedly for two years that the WiMax would be available in my area; Space Coast; only for it to not make an appearance at all. From what I understand about the 4G LTE coverage, based on Sprint's press release about it, I won't see 4G LTE coverage either. From what little I have seen 4G WiMax I wasn't that impressed. I won't be upgrading to any phone until I actually see a 4G network in my area, which as this point is very unlikely.

Community News

This is a PUBLIC ARCHIVE board, all artciles are read only.

Please click here to search the Active Community.