cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Will I be compensated when Sprint ditches WiMax for LTE? Doubt it.

Journeyman

so what happens when sprint rolls out lte and blows off wimax? 

our evo's are wasted...as i doubt very much they could be upgraded via software...

Ill be switching to verizon as soon as i can get to a store. as their 3g is faster than sprints 3g.

3 REPLIES 3
Journeyman

Who said that they were ditching WiMAX?

http://www.kansascity.com/2011/02/28/2689159_sprint-considers-future-of-its.html?storylink=omni_popu...

Bob Azzi, Sprint’s network senior vice president, wouldn’t address the LightSquared report but said Sprint’s options include any potential solution — as long as it includes the WiMax service that customers use now.

“From a network perspective it’s WiMax and what else we do,” Azzi said. “In every scenario … WiMax is there.”

Journeyman

Actually Cnet did an article this morning about a conversation they had with Dan Hesse. He confirmed Wimax was here to stay and that it would be in the future with them. Clear will continue to deploy Wimax, but is also working on a Multi-mode network that will run both Wimax and LTE in one tower. Which this is why we are hearing about Sprint and LTE. You will not lose Wimax... Clear shut down a bunch of retail things to open up money to coverage deployment and deployment.

Highlighted
Journeyman

I wish I could bet money on this scenario.  I think i would be rich.

You're telling me that Sprint is going to continue to roll out two "NEW" technologies to legacy towers?--I see the odds of that happening with last "budget" carrier to be about zero.  Not gonna happen, nada.  At best, a few more areas under contract with Clear will get WiMax and LTE will be rolled out in a similar fashion to population-heavy areas and (maybe) roll out to suburban areas next.--And sorry, but IMHO their 3G network is already coming under stress/strain in more than a few areas.

Then again I could be pleasantly surprised.  Either way, I didn't buy my EVO thinking I was going to get 4G anytime soon, but I did believe I would have more-than-usable 3G.  In the last few months I have had usable 3G between 9:00PM and 6:00AM.   Lucky me.

Community News

This is a PUBLIC ARCHIVE board, all artciles are read only.

Please click here to search the Active Community.