Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Wireless Amber Alerts, cannot find unsubscribe

Go to solution
Highlighted
Journeyman

Wireless Amber Alerts, cannot find unsubscribe

So, I keep getting AMBER alerts from Washington now that I live in Colorado. I tried going to the official Wireless Amber Alert's site, but most links on there are broken. All of the messages are coming from 6069 short code. It's not a huge frequency, but I'd rather not receive alerts for an area that I'm not living.

Sprint Gurus... any knowledge of a way I can get these removed from my phone?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Master

Re: Wireless Amber Alerts, cannot find unsubscribe

Hmm? I'm able to go there and enter my phone number and password and unsubscribe.

View solution in original post

11 REPLIES 11
Master
Journeyman

Thanks for the links, but my Evo 4G isn't CMAS supported (my soon-to-be-coming Evo 4G LTE is). I've tried the site linked in the other article, and their site is borked. All of the links fail.

Master

Have you tried blocking it? Send a text with "block 6069" to 9999

Journeyman

I haven't tried that yet. That I'll hold as a last resort. I work in the email filtering business and preach unsubscribing before blocking of unwanted messages, so I'd hopefully be able to accomplish that. If not I'll move forward with the blocking. They're very infrequent and not annoying so that's a good thing, just realized I should probably take care of it now since I'm getting a CMAS compatible device in the next day or so.

Thanks!

Master

Try responding with "Stop" or "Unsubscribe" and see if that does it. I do see their site is having issues.

Journeyman

Did that, got a response back from sprint saying invalid number. Perplexed, it has me.

Master

Hmm? I'm able to go there and enter my phone number and password and unsubscribe.

View solution in original post

Journeyman

Wow, they must have fixed whatever was borked. I was able to unsubscribe too.

Master

BradMColo- Just want to make sure that you're talking about (CMAS) and not Amber Alerts. To unsubscribe  Amber Alerts follow what Levi4u has suggested.In order to unsubscribe from Wireless Emergency Alerts/CMAS this is the process :-

Selected devices have the capability to enable and disable Wireless Emergency Alerts: 

• HTC EVO 3D (APX515CKT)  
  • Kyocera Milano (C5120) 
  • LG Marquee (LS-855) 
  • Samsung Galaxy S II, Epic 4G Touch (SPH-D710) 
  • Samsung M360 
  • Sanyo Innuendo (SCP-6780) 
  • Sanyo Vero (SCP-3820)

If not in the above list and the device is CMAS capable, CMAS is automatically enabled and cannot be disabled.

Hope this helps

Abe

Journeyman

Thanks Abe, we were able to get it figured out. The Evo 4G WiMax isn't CMAS capable or WEA enabled, there were some issues with the Wireless Amber Alerts site that resolved while we were discussing it.

Journeyman

ALL devices are going to be CMAS capable because the messages are from the Sprint SERVER.  There is one of 2 ways to disable (opt-out), these are:

1.) You have to call or contact customer service (either by phone (*2) or through chat) and request the alerts be disabled or blocked.

2.) You can text the words “END” to 266781 and CMAS alerts will get blocked. <-----(This is from a Sprint rep I chatted with today).

Now, as far as individual Smartphones being able to block or unblock these alerts, I do not know - I do not (yet) have a smartphone. 

However, the FCC mandated that these (CMAS) alerts from cell providers are supposed to be publicly accessible via web page for the opt-out option on the carriers websites.  Sprint doesn't have one (yet).  They are also supposed to provide a web page to access the option to choose what alerts (if any) the consumer may want to receive.  Sprint doesn't have that (yet) either.

Sprint's customer service cannot be considered "publicly accessible", basically, because their customer service isn't available 24 hours a day, as well as no link(s) on to the opt-out option on their website.

Community News

This is a PUBLIC ARCHIVE board, all artciles are read only.

Please click here to search the Active Community.