cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Yes, another extremely slow 3G thread

Journeyman

Yes, another extremely slow 3G thread

I thought about just posting in one of the many other slow data speed threads, but I figure anytime someone makes a new thread on the topic, it usually gets more attention and helps highlight the problem.

So, I regularly get only double-digit kbps speeds on my new EVO 4G LTE. 50kbps, 30kbps, even 10kbps are regular occurrences for me. Not even close to the average rates of 600kbps - 1.4mbps that Sprint says I should receive in my area. I just upgraded my phone to the EVO LTE knowing that the LTE rollout will take time, but I was hoping my unbearably slow 3G speeds were due in part to my old phone being the older EVDO Rev 0. But there's no change. I will say the speeds are generally better at my home than at work (still well below the 600kbps minimum end of "average"), but I don't really need 3G at home as I use wifi connected to a cable modem. At work, I don't have any access to wifi, so 3G is all I have for my phone. I understand reception can be affected within buildings, but every plaace I go within the city, indoor or out, I have sub-standard speeds.

In addition to the LTE rollout, which has no specific timetable for most areas (including mine), I've seen mention of 3G upgrades planned in the interim. I can only hope these upgrades come sooneer than later. I don't even have the temporary option of getting a 4G WiMax hotspot since WiMax was never released in my area either. I live in the city of Milwaukee, so even though it's not a "major market," it's still a large metropolitan area that shouldn't have such poor coverage. If the Sprint network upgrades don't come within a reasonable amount of time, I can't see any way I'll stay. Sprint needs a show of good faith to their customers to show they are specifically working on this problem. Paying for unlimited data that you can't access is not something that will keep customers around.

4 REPLIES 4
Highlighted
Wizard

Re: Yes, another extremely slow 3G thread

I will look into the matter for you. Please respond to the private message I sent you.

-Donnie

Journeyman

Just wanted to say thanks for the response and the PM. I just responded to it, plus it's the middle of the night right now, so I obviously haven't gotten any further response yet.  I did want to also say that I got good 3g speeds today at a location in my area, around 2mbps, so at least the problem isn't with the whole area I live and work in. I'll post again after I hear back regarding what I can expect in terms of connectivity from my work location. I'm wondering if some external interference is involved, which wouldn't be Sprint's fault, but I'll wait until I hear more before I speculate on any other causes.

Journeyman

No response yet, but I'll give it a little longer since it's less than 24 hours since I responded to the PM. But I did some more tests in and around the building my office is in, and there's no change to my speed anywhere in the building or even outside of it. My tests ranged from 64kbps to 238kbps. So my idea that it might be due to some internal interference is unfounded. I didn't get any faster speeds until I got about a mile away from the building, then I got speeds up to 2200kbps! So it's definitely a problem with Sprint's service in the area of my office building.

Journeyman

I assume you still havent heard anything OP?  I have all but given up on Sprint.  Even the techs at the local Sprint stores tell me the best thing to do is keep calling the Sprint Assistance line until you come across a customer service rep that actually gives a damn and will compensate you in some form (if you actually plan on sticking with Sprint).

It's pretty sad when my family plan pays $30 per month for "premium data" and the only data we are able to get is when we are at HOME on the wifi that I have to pay $45 per month to Time Warner!  Streaming radio, video watching, even Google Maps are completely out of the question ANYWHERE I've gone in the Milwaukee area.  Unlimited data, if you want to wait HOURS for it to download!

It pains me to run the Speedtest app on my EVO 3D, mainly because it can't even run half the time because of "Network Issues"!  I wonder, is it worh waiting for the unknown Milwaukee LTE arrival?  Or better to jump ship to Verizon that has had LTE for some time now for $10 more per line per month (my case anyway)?

Community News

This is a PUBLIC ARCHIVE board, all artciles are read only.

Please click here to search the Active Community.