Sprint Community is currently read-only. Please use the My Sprint app or Sprint.com to manage your account. If you need assistance, please visit Sprint.com/chat
Sprint Community is currently read-only. Please use the My Sprint app or Sprint.com to manage your account. If you need assistance, please visit Sprint.com/chat
Sprint Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

iPhone 5 is completely useless in Bay Area

Journeyman

iPhone 5 is completely useless in Bay Area

Dear Sprint...

I have been with you for almost 15 years and have dealt with all kinds of service issues and stayed loyal, but I am thinking that this latest snafu may be the breaking point and has me seriously considering porting my number over to Verizon and saying goodbye to you after all these years...and walking away with middle fingers in the air...

I live & work in the tech epicenter of the US (the SF/Bay Area) and with my HTC Evo 4G, I was happily able to stream music during my commute, multi-task on things when I needed to, manage all of my inboxes and communications via Skype and WhatsApp, all without ever having to think about it or worry whether or not things would work as expected..the only issues I have had recently are hardware related due to my phone being almost 2 years old...

I got caught up in the latest wave of iPhone buzz (and for what it's worth, the PHONE is amazing), however, the SERVICE that I pay you for and that you claim is tops in the nation has now taken a tailspin into the toilet and I basically have a very expensive phone that I can't do a damn thing with unless I am connected to WiFi.

At least with the EVO, even on 3G, I NEVER dealt with the issues that I am seeing now, I can barely get bars in downtown/uptown Oakland even though there appear to be towers that were added this year. I can't even get decent service in SF walking around the FiDi, SOMA areas without being forced to connect via WiFI!! Really? Do you know how many internet-related jobs are within 400 yards of 2nd and Market?

If it was just a local issue or faulty device, I might be a bit more understanding, but since iPhone5 release on Sprint's network, I have seen nothing but BAD reviews and complaints from anyone outside of your precious LTE test areas (which BTW- who the hell had a brain fart and decided not to include the SF/Bay Area in the California rollout?), so as I said in the beginning, this has me really torn between going back to my HTC/getting upgraded model and using this amazing piece of technology that would be AWESOME if I could use the data features that I am paying for.

It's sad, it's frustrating and I want to know what Sprint is going to do about this to keep my business or if you even care about people that have been with you as long as I have...

7 REPLIES 7
Highlighted
GrandMaster

Re: iPhone 5 is completely useless in Bay Area

uhm..the sf/bay area IS currently getting NV upgrades..

I like many others come onto this site for assistance and to help others. Marking a reply as helpful or correct helps others with like issues when they try to search the site for assistance. I do not work for Sprint and my suggestions and or opinions are my own. *************************************************************************************************************
Highlighted
Journeyman

I have the exact same problem! Living and working in SOMA, I cannot do ANYTHING aside from send SMS messages when I am not connected to Wifi. I work in the tech industry as well, so it's super frustrating. Any updates?

Highlighted
Journeyman

If you go here: http://shop2.sprint.com/en/shop/why_sprint/4g/4g_lte_plan_details.html?INTNAV=LP:iPhone:091412:Tab24...

Select State: California

Note the Dropdown options...Glendale, LA and Long Beach are 300-400 miles from the Bay #justsayin

Read thru some more posts, looks like everyone that switched from EVOs to iPhones really got screwed, really sucks, I love this phone, but if I can't use it, what's the point...

Highlighted
GrandMaster

if you browse a lil more within these threads in this forum you'll also see that SF is also getting the NV upgrades...as in right now..as in your current reception and data issues are most likely due to this.

from a 3rd party source. so dates posted may or may not be correct..just know that its already being done in your area. (this list also hasnt been updated in a while so that percentage is a bit higher now than what is currently showing)

San Francisco ...Sites Complete = <1%; Anticipated Launch = January 2013 ...Original Scheduled Completion = July 2013; Current Production Rate Completion = TBD

just sayin

I like many others come onto this site for assistance and to help others. Marking a reply as helpful or correct helps others with like issues when they try to search the site for assistance. I do not work for Sprint and my suggestions and or opinions are my own. *************************************************************************************************************
Highlighted
Journeyman

If I understood you correctly, even based on your stats, the ETA for Scheduled Completion is almost a year away, even the Anticipated Launch date is 3 months away, so how is this even remotely useful for users that got suckered into purchasing something that wasn't ready for prime time...total fail sauce IMHO.

On a lighter note, it seems that disabling LTE has helped a bit in terms of the shoddy connectivity I've been experiencing the past couple of days (either that or they flipped some towers/service on around here)...My emails are updating on time now, WhatsApp isn't failing every other message and I can now stream music from Pandora without interruptions, was able to use my location based services like 4Square and Maps and actually have more than 1-2 bars in my apartment..it's definitely a far cry from speeds promised, but at least I can do some work now..

We'll see if things improve over the next few days, but still worried I may have to return it.

Highlighted
GrandMaster

so how exactly did you get suckered into buying something? did they twist your arm? make threats to you? or did you not do a slight bit of research to see when LTE would be in your area or if it was even there yet?

a bit more info for you though..the EVO LTE and the SIII have had multiple updates for the LTE connections...so theres a good chance that you will end up seeing this with the iphone5 as well..

also the anticipate launch is the guessed date that they will light up the towers they have completed with LTE..not when they will actually start working on them..theyre ALREADY working on them..which is most likely why youre having issues now.

for the time being though i would keep the LTE/CDMA switched to CDMA only...no point in having the phone randomly look for a LTE signal that isnt quite there yet..

also im not really sure what apps you have available through the iphone but you might try searching out a couple of the ones available to the android side..they might have a iphone version over there as well..speedtest.net and or opensignal...if they have opensignal grab that one..it will actually show you which tower youre connecting too you'll then know which towers arent working as well as others..etc etc

Highlighted
Journeyman

I had an EVO. Worked great. Loved Sprint.

Got the New iPhone 5.

DISASTER.

Virtually no reception in my home in Santa Clara. Worked before no problem. Dropped calls like mad.

Many texts when home or out dropped not sent.

Rarely can access email anywhere.

Or internet.

USELESS.

Returning the phone.

I am not one to complain publicly like this.

Sprint, what your customers want is this:

a. Phones and connectivity that work very well.

b. Very good service.

c. Fair pricing.

d. Phones that you can take easily anywhere in the world and swap out SIM cards. Only a fool pays international charges.

Do not forget we are Americans. It is our culture to:

a. Always get the best deal.

b. Demand superior quality and service and will instantly jump to the service provider who supplies this.

c. Will find a way around any barrier put in our way.

Smart companies:

a. Heed the above and work within that framework. And know this is the KEY to marketshare. (Verizon is very well known for their superior service and quality of coverage.)

b. Have a very, very good quality control that beta tests the living shit out of a product under extreme conditions before they release it broadly.

And yes, all companies are graded and discussed broadly upon these points. I consult for many of the major high tech companies in the Bay Area. And believe me, every company has a reputation in the field based upon these points.

I sincerely hope you rectify this issue very quickly.

Community News

This is a PUBLIC ARCHIVE board, all artciles are read only.

Please click here to search the Active Community.