cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

iphone4s drops to "o" for network status

Journeyman

Hi, I had my iPhone4s for a day and while it intemittently shows 3g most of the time it just shows "o" this happens wherever im at, even at the Sprint store. he rep said it was due to provisioning, but it still shows "o" unless i put itin airplane mode then out. After leaving airplane mode it shows 3g for about 5 minuets then revers back to "o". They ahve reset my phone, downloaded network settings but still the same. The other 3 phones on my account all show 3g sitting next to each other and do not drop out. Is this a phone issue or is this an account/provisioning issue?

Thanks!

6 REPLIES 6
Journeyman

sorry for typo's, writing with baby in arm.

Wizard

Re: iphone4s drops to "o" for network status

If you've got three other phones that aren't having the same issue, it would appear to be a phone issue.  There may be an issue with the antenna, especally if resetting the phone does not resolve the issue.  Did you order the phone through a store, online, or over the phone.  If over the phone or online, I would contact order support if it's within the first 14 days and request a replacement device. If you ordered from a store, I would take it back to that store for support. If outside of your 14 day window, I would suggest contacting Apple care at 800.275.2273 to assist.

Journeyman

It does this because Sprint's network in most areas of the country cannot maintain a stable 3G signal or decent speeds, so your phone reverts to 1x mode in some cases.  I don't have an iPhone, but my droid phone has had issues like this on Sprint for over a year.  It's their network, not your phone.  If you want decent data speeds, go to Verizon or wait 2-3 years until Sprint fixes their tower overload and backhaul issues (if you're lucky).

Journeyman

So to test your theory, i did resets on my android phone and iphone (full resets) when they both came back up iphone "o" android 3g. walked around the house, same thing, 3g never dropped out on android, iphone, went to 3g for a few seconds then back to "o"

Returning this thing today.

Thanks for your help.

Journeyman

If you're running stock Sprint ROMs on your android phone, it will always show "3G".  Their ROMs overwrote the "1X" indicator.  If you root and load a generic android OS on it, you'll see the "1X" or "3G" as appropriate.  If you'll run a speed test with an android phone, you'll see how slow it is despite the "3G" indicator.

Highlighted
Journeyman

Both my Epic and Optimus S show 1x when in my office, Optimus is stock, Epic was returned to stock.

Neither here nor there, but I exchanged my IPhone for another one and the "o" is gone when sitting next to my other phones when they are in "3g" which is one plus, but my speed definately is crap. ping times consistently in the 300-500 range, Optimus and Epic also sit in the 200-500 range all sitting next to one another (without 4G enabled) all connecting to the same test server. To go one step further, I tested with my AT&T work phone and Verizon Mifi (3g only enabled) and pings/thorughput are horrendous on Sprint, with ATT avging 1.9Mpbs Verizon 2.5Mbps, Sprint .53Kbps! I recall when I first got my Epic speeds were really good, then I pretty much packed my phone away when I got a mifi from work. I'll give Sprint a week to fix this "speed issue" and if there is no "fix" in sight still, I'll drop this and my other 3 lines to go to Verizon, as my data needs aren't that high, and when they are, my work covers the mifi overrages.

Community News

This is a PUBLIC ARCHIVE board, all artciles are read only.

Please click here to search the Active Community.