cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

3g Speeds in Tallahassee

Journeyman

3g Speeds in Tallahassee

I think at this point with very poor data speeds here in Tally I'm going to start recording in a thread the speeds I'm seeing during the day.  It’s been bad for me for a little over a year now and with no 4g in sight I'm wondering where the extra monies for the 4g service went.  Sprint, what do you consider to be acceptable speeds for 3g in your Tallahassee, FL market?

Tallahassee FL 9:30am EST

0406-928.png

55 REPLIES
Journeyman

Re: 3g Speeds in Tallahassee

Better but still subpar at 11:30am EST

0406-1130.png

Wizard

1) I prefer the RootMetrics App. Speedtest is so dependent on the server you are connecting to. RootMetrics finds the best server itself. Post those results.

2) 300 to 600 Kbps may be all you can expect until Network Vision updates the towers. It is a congestion issue with all the data devices and will only be resolved when the backhaul is upgraded/augmented (most often with microwave).

3) What "extra monies" are you talking about? The Premium Data fee?

Journeyman

1) Thank you for the info on the RootMetrics app...I'm including a screenshot of it below after running it.  I like that it gives signal strenght.

2) 300 to 600 Kbps seems extremely slow to me.  I frequently see speeds much lower than 300 Kbps on the download as shown in the screenshot. 

3) What I was told a few years back was that 4g would be in Tallahassee that year (2010) and it is now 2012.  4g is premium data correct?

Tallahassee FL 12:08pm EST

0406-1208.png

Journeyman

Guys in my office with ATT are hitting 5 to 6 Mbps down

Journeyman

I average less than 300 kbps with 3G here in NJ. The way things are going, sprint will delete this comment or thread. They don't want the truth out.

Wizard

1) Glad you liked it. Someone turned me on to it and it really seemed more consistent.

2) With that signal strength, your issue is a capacity/congestion issue and will be resolved by Network Vision.... which is slated to completely revamp all towers by 2013. In the meantime, those speeds are typical for congested areas. There are some capacity augments for your market (https://network.sprint.com/FL/Tallahassee/) which will provide for some relief. But until the towers are fitted with new hardware and microwave backhaul, those will just be temporary improvements. Data use DOUBLES every year. It is a problem for all carriers.

3) "Premium Data is not for 4G". It is a charge to offset the additional data use of smartphones (feature phones are not charged as much because they use so little data). Let's leave that dead horse alone. And the person(s) who promised you that 4G would be in your area by a certain date were lying speculating and certainly did not have official info to support it. Only go by the official announcements.

4) As far as AT&T, you are talking about HSPA+ which is essentially their "4G". Definitely faster. But more of an "enhanced 3G" that did not require additional hardware and will not scale down the road the way LTE will.

Wizard

I disagree. The rules allow for a lot. More than I would put up with if I was dictator. You have a right to be upset about poor network performance. But some folks post over and over and over without adding anything constructive to the conversations. I have seen those posts disappear. Probably because of this rule:

Do not rant.
We welcome constructive criticism, but most forum topics and reviews are not the place to vent your frustrations. If you don't like a product or service, feel free to share your opinion and why you feel that way. Really need to blow off some steam? You can  post in the "Speak your mind" discussion forum.

Journeyman

I hope someone is taking advantage of my $10.00 Premium Date fee. I can't get data fast enough to enjoy it. Try streaming a video or movie at less than 300 kbps. I get connection errors just trying to connect to FB.

Journeyman

GeekOfTexas wrote:

1) Glad you liked it. Someone turned me on to it and it really seemed more consistent.

2) With that signal strength, your issue is a capacity/congestion issue and will be resolved by Network Vision.... which is slated to completely revamp all towers by 2013. In the meantime, those speeds are typical for congested areas. There are some capacity augments for your market (https://network.sprint.com/FL/Tallahassee/) which will provide for some relief. But until the towers are fitted with new hardware and microwave backhaul, those will just be temporary improvements. Data use DOUBLES every year. It is a problem for all carriers.

3) "Premium Data is not for 4G". It is a charge to offset the additional data use of smartphones (feature phones are not charged as much because they use so little data). Let's leave that dead horse alone. And the person(s) who promised you that 4G would be in your area by a certain date were lying speculating and certainly did not have official info to support it. Only go by the official announcements.

4) As far as AT&T, you are talking about HSPA+ which is essentially their "4G". Definitely faster. But more of an "enhanced 3G" that did not require additional hardware and will not scale down the road the way LTE will.

2) I'm glad to hear they are revamping the towers but its hard to see the future with Sprint when so much time has passed with very poor data speeds.  I really think Sprint should give customers the ability to break their contract without paying hundreds of dollars when they cannot supply a good product yet other carriers can.  I would love to switch carriers right now but to do so would cost me almost 350 per line (advanced phones) and with 3 lines its just not an option.

3) So, sounds like "Premium Data" means you are paying for additional data use even if you don't receive the benefits (Wait!! Is Sprint following the Social Security platform?).  Sorry, I do understand what you are saying but I still feel like I'm paying for something I cannot get in my market and I'm supporting everyone else who can take advantage of it.

4) What are sprints plans for LTE and how quickly will they get it out?  Another problem there is current phones that are 4g to my understanding will not take advantage of LTE.

Community News

Having trouble posting or viewing your Private Messages? We made an update to the Community registration process which requires you to validate your email, click here to read more about it.