cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

4G LTE AVAILABLE IN AUSTIN - TESTING ON SELECTIVE CELL TOWERS

Journeyman

4G LTE AVAILABLE IN AUSTIN - TESTING ON SELECTIVE CELL TOWERS

If you haven't already switched on your 3G/4G LTE connection on your phone you may want to do so now!  For the past week Sprint has been testing its 4G LTE on a select number of towers within the Austin area.

Those living in the 78727 area code will find they now have 4G LTE now fully working, however as I drove around Austin I found majority of the cell sites only offering 3G.  I'm told by a Sprint technician in Austin that the towers are still being upgraded to 4G LTE and such may be December before all towers have been fully upgraded.  The speed of 4G LTE is unbelievable, seems as fast as my home internet cable.  So, if you haven't switched on your 3G/4G LTE connection on your phone services menu you'd best do it now. 

9 REPLIES
Sprint Product Ambassador

Re: 4G LTE AVAILABLE IN AUSTIN - TESTING ON SELECTIVE CELL TOWERS

Nice - thanks for the feedback!  Good to see it getting lit up.

Journeyman

As of today, there has been LTE service around N. I35 at 49th Street, across from the Mueller airport site. It does not cover much area, and is rather intermittent.

Journeyman

Kerby Lane on South Lamar totally had it! I was shocked...went to eat breakfast, looked at my phone, and BAM...there was 4G connection.  I immediatley did a speedtest and got up to 14mb down and 5-6mb up! amazing...but, i drove back to work, and it was no more. 

Either way... it's about time ... i feel stupid having the EVO LTE and no LTE!!!

GrandMaster

you guys should download and run the sensorly app through the market. it will start taking readings of the signals and placing them on the map..ditto for whatever signals others get while using that app..you will then have a detailed map of what all areas have a LTE signal and which areas dont have one yet.

I like many others come onto this site for assistance and to help others. Marking a reply as helpful or correct helps others with like issues when they try to search the site for assistance. I do not work for Sprint and my suggestions and or opinions are my own. *************************************************************************************************************
Journeyman

Ah thanks Fireguy....will check out the sensory app you mentioned.  This 4G LTE is pretty darn fast!

Journeyman

I have 4g lit up out here at the airport.  It is fast and awesome.  Thanks Sprint.

GrandMaster

helpful reminder though. there might not be alot of people currently using this app..so the updates to mapping the LTE progress might take a lil while.

I like many others come onto this site for assistance and to help others. Marking a reply as helpful or correct helps others with like issues when they try to search the site for assistance. I do not work for Sprint and my suggestions and or opinions are my own. *************************************************************************************************************
Journeyman

Using a Motorola Photon Q in 78727.

http://ww.speedtest.net/android/271814609.png

http://www.speedtest.net/android/279759498.png

Highlighted
Journeyman

When is Sprint planning to declare that LTE is commercially available in the entire Austin metroplex -- not a tower here and a tower there?  That's when I'll consider renewing my pre-paid subscription and purchasing a LTE phone based on actual upload/download speeds and signal strength.  I won't be fooled again like I was with WiMAX.

Community News

Community News

Find out whats happening on the bridge, we'll share new features and fun on the community as well as exciting news from the mothership...read more.