cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

List of current or announced 4G/WiMAX cities

Journeyman MDG
Journeyman

List of current or announced 4G/WiMAX cities

Just thought I'd start a running list of the 4G markets, for quick reference and to consolidate both the Clearwire and Sprint 4G announcements.

(* indicates this city is live on either Clear, Sprint 4G or both)

Baltimore, MD*

Washington D.C. (2010)

Philadelphia, PA*

Boston, MA (2010)

New York, NY (2010)

Portland, OR*

Salem, OR*

Bellingham, WA*

Seattle, WA  (Dec. 2009)

Tacoma, WA  (Dec. 2009)

San Fransico, CA (2010)

Boise, ID*

Las Vegas, NV*

Atlanta, GA*

Millegeville, GA*

Charlotte, NC*

Raleigh, NC*

Durham NC*

Chapel Hill NC*

Cary NC*

Greensboro, NC*

Winston-Salem, NC*

High Point NC*

Chicago, IL*

Dallas/Ft.Worth TX*

Abilene TX*

Amarillo, TX*

Austin, TX*

Corpus Christi, TX*

Houston, TX (2010)

Killeen-Temple, TX*

Lubbock, TX*

Midland-Odessa, TX*

San Antonio,TX*

Waco, TX*

Wichita Falls, TX*

Honolulu, HI  (Dec. 2009)

Maui, HI  (Dec. 2009)

I'll edit and update this post as more markets are announced and launched.

Message was edited by: MDG - noted Boise and Bellingham, WA went live

Message was edited by: MDG - noted Clearwire went live with Abilene, Amarillo, Corpus Christi, Killeen/Temple, Lubbock, Midland/Odessa, Waco and Wichita Falls, Texas

Message was edited by: MDG - Salem, OR & Milledgeville, GA went live on Sprint. Abilene, Amarillo, Corpus Christi, Killeen/Temple, Lubbock, Midland/Odessa, Waco and Wichita Falls, Texas now live on Sprint as well.

Message was edited by: MDG to provide updates to remaining 2009 launch dates:  http://finance.yahoo.com/news/Clearwire-and-Sprint-to-bw-4135916230.html?x=0&.v=1                    http://finance.yahoo.com/news/Clearwire-Comcast-and-Sprint-bw-2465830078.html?x=0&.v=1

Message was edited by: MDG noted Sprint 4G now live in Philadelphia.

Message was edited by: MDG  noted Charlotte, N.C.; Greensboro, N.C.; Raleigh, N.C.; Chicago and Dallas-Fort Worth went live on Sprint 4G

Message was edited by: MDG noted Sprint 4G now live in San Antonio & Austin TX

145 REPLIES
Journeyman

Re: List of current or announced 4G/WiMAX cities

does anyone know why Los Angeles/Orange County is not in the near future plan?

Journeyman

So, quick question, is there a reason that Boise, Idaho, a city with an entire downtown district the size of the Key Bank Tower here in Cleveland, is getting 4G and I see absolutely nothing in this list for Ohio?

Journeyman MDG
Journeyman

Not sure about L.A., thats one of the biggies that I was curious about.  I'm not privy to the thought process behind which cities get launched when. If I had to speculate, and that is all it is, is my own speculation, I would say that some of the smaller cities that you see being launced look like they are previous Clearwire "Fixed WiMAX" markets that were already up and running.

Possibly, it is quicker for them to convert some of these cities that have pre-existing infrastructure to the "Mobile Wimax/4G" markets in addition to having the service in some places where WiMAX and 4G has less competion from a bunch of DSL and Cable companies??

Message was edited by: MDG

Journeyman

Some good points.   There are a number of broadband providers for fixed installations here in So Cal.    Typically you have a Coax wireline owner (Cable modem), a wireline pair owner DSL and in some cases a third party who either leases or has fiber backbones close by.  

For me the interest in 4G network coverage would be the ability to be free the 3G network bandwidth limitations.   They are not a problem for me as an end user per se, but the limitation causes the provider to impose caps so the users don't impact the network by having lots of traffic.    Hence we have a 5GB/month cap on 3G data and PAM is generally not allowed etc.    I would like to not worry about monthly data limits but the speed of the 3G network so far is not a big problem.

Also I suppose that since this is the land of urban sprawl and strict zoning limits the cost of deploying a new network is expensive here.    I assume that the locations are there but perhaps co-location agreements are not in place for new technologies or the frequency spectrum is not owned at this point.

Journeyman

MDG, what's your source for the inclusion of Austin, TX on your list, and do you know the time frame?

Message was edited by: markew1

Journeyman MDG
Journeyman

I don't know the specific date, and I would not be allowed to disclose it, even if I did. All I can tell you is 2009 according to the press release. So not too much longer. A bunch of Texas markets were just turned on by Clearwire last week so thats a hopeful sign.

Sorry I can't be more specific.

Journeyman

To what press release are you referring?

Journeyman MDG
Journeyman

http://newsreleases.sprint.com/phoenix.zhtml?c=127149&p=RssLanding&cat=news&id=1319758

Sprint Extends 4G Leadership by Announcing Additional U.S. Markets for Sprint 4G

Sprint Reveals Plans to Launch 4G in 17 Additional Cities in Hawaii,       Idaho, North Carolina, Oregon, Texas and Washington in 2009; Bringing       Turbo-Charged Mobile Broadband to Customers On the Go

OVERLAND PARK, Kan.--(BUSINESS WIRE)--Aug. 11, 2009--       Sprint (NYSESmiley Frustrated), the first national wireless carrier to test, launch and       market 4G technology, is extending its 4G leadership by launching the       next-generation service across the country. Today, it announced the       addition of 17 new markets to its national Sprint 4G roll-out plans.       These additional markets join the previously announced markets of       Atlanta; Chicago; Dallas-Fort Worth; Honolulu; Las Vegas; Portland,       Ore.; Philadelphia and Seattle.

The new additions for 2009 are: Abilene, Texas; Amarillo, Texas; Austin,       Texas; Boise, Idaho; Bellingham, Wash.; Charlotte, N.C.; Corpus Christi,       Texas; Greensboro, N.C.; Killeen-Temple, Texas; Lubbock, Texas; Maui,       Hawaii; Midland-Odessa, Texas; Raleigh, N.C.; Salem, Ore.; San Antonio,       Texas; Waco, Texas; and Wichita Falls, Texas.

Sprint also expects to launch service in multiple markets in 2010,       including Boston, Houston, New York, San Francisco and Washington, D.C.

Journeyman

I hear ya...LOL.  Same for Orlando/Central Florida!  It's a year-around International destination!  It must have to do with marketing and existing coverage/infrastructure, is my guess.  Do you have to buy a special plan to go from 3G to 4G say on a U300?