cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Problems with roaming and coverage

Journeyman

Re: Problems with roaming and coverage

Thanks so much I will send a message to the email u suggested....I feel better already with the replies on this forum and just being able to vent has been a huge help!

Journeyman

hellotrae wrote:

Hello,

http://www.speakeasy.net/speedtest/ which is a really cool resource. I have the Pro Plan and the upload speed was hitting as high as 1800kpbs and the download speed was around 180kbps. according to Airwave guide the required up/dwnld speed per phone is 40kbps for upload & download. It makes since that they would lead people to believe it would work charge the for the unit & lock me into a two year contract.

The airave guide is missing one very important part of the equation, latency.  With satellite you will notice your conversations getting clipped then dropping.  Satellite service just isn't setup for VOiP which is what the airave is sending across the internet.  http://pingtest.net/ < That is a good site to test your connection for latency.  My connection rates a B due to my latency being 52ms to Kansas City from Ozark, MO...When I'm in my office I have a latency of 12ms (on internet 2).  Typical latency on satellite is >1000ms and often times close to 1500ms.  That may not seem like a long time but VOiP is time sensitive and that delay makes it so it doesn't work.  Someone at Sprint needs to revise the guide for the new airave with EVDO coming out to have latency recommendations.  If you need any help with anything feel free to send me a PM.

Good luck

Kevin

Journeyman

1. Ensure your new phone is programmed correctly with your phone number, and your MSID matches to your account. Power off and restart the new phone

2. Power off your old phone, remove battery if necessary. Keep this phone off from here on out. If you can/know how, program the phone to have a phone number of 000-000-0000 and an MSID of 000-000-0000.

3. Call Sprint and ask for a PRL Update, or visit a Sprint store that has a repair center, and ask for them to update the PRL in your phone.

Attempt calls and texts.

Journeyman

I have the exact same problem. I ported from Verizon a couple of years ago. Everytime I leave the state I am unable to place calls (even to voicemail) or receive any calls. When I try making a call, I get an error message from Verizon. I've called Sprint about this numerous times and have even called Verizon to see if they knew what was going on. Nothing.

Well, today I called to see if I had the most updated PRL update-- I do. Next, she asked whether I had my phone set on for "Sprint Only" calls. No, so I should be able to make/receive calls no problem when roaming. Then, she asked me to type in ##362021# so that I can see/edit my MSID#. On my phone the MSID# was not the same as my phone number (it doesn't need to be) but it started with the same area code. We changed it... I asked why it needed to be changed and she said that the MSID number didn't start with the same area code (even though on my phone it did).

I can't test if this helps the problem until I go out of state.

Have you looked into whether or not it could be an MSID# issue?

Journeyman

Thank you all for your replies, as of now the issue still not solved.

I tried the MSID change that you just mentioned in one of my attempts through costumer service. They changed it so that both area codes matched, however this did not solve the problem. The problem happens mostly when I am out of state but it also happened a couple times while at home. I have considered getting a whole new cell number but I honestly don't want to change a number I have had for 10 years if that will not solve the problem. Do you think getting a new number from sprint might be the easiest solution? or could it be the phone (Treo pro)?

Journeyman

I had this problem a few years ago and what I needed to do was to call sprint and ask them for a HLR reload.  the CSR knew what to do and sure enough I had no problems any more while roaming.  What it does is it reloads your number into the America Roaming database.  Hope that works for you.

Highlighted
Journeyman

Re: MSID and Appalachian Wireless (West Virginia)

In July 2009, I was unable to roam in southeastern Kentucky. Later, in an effort to learn what was wrong, I made contact with:

Dannis Brown
Appalachian Wireless
Roaming Coordinator

606-477-2355 ext 162

dbrown@ekn.com

Dannis said that if I had contacted her while I was in the area, she could have resolved the problem by updating my number in their switch. To do this, it is necessary to know the MSID of the cell phone. As mentioned above, type ##362021#. Then go to Phone Info to view the number. (It will look like a phone number in your Area Code, but it may be different from your actual number. That's okay.)

If you are planning a trip anywhere within the lower right quarter of the state, I recommend setting up things in advance. Otherwise, you may find yourself without cell coverage--even when sitting under one of Appalachian's many mountain-top towers. Not only did I not have coverage with two SPRINT phones, but I also was unable to use an ALLTEL pre-paid phone. (One SPRINT handset had a ported number from Verizon. The other was a new line of service, tied to the ported number.)

I suspect my situation was unusual in some regard, although we never determined the cause of the problem. Nevertheless, when you can't get into a system, you don't care how many folks DID get access. You want YOUR phone to work! Over the course of two weeks, I spoke with several folks at the company. I give them high marks for Customer Service. They were very friendly and eager to help. They cooperate fully with SPRINT, and the technology is compatible. Applachian Wireless is willing to tweak things as necessary to allow you to roam.

In addition to applying to SE Kentucky, this information might be helpful if you encounter "pockets" of cell coverage from independent providers, elsewhere in the United States. If necessary, stop at a local cellular store for the phone number of Customer Service (which you will call from a landline phone--grin). Let CS switch you to the Roaming Coordinator.

But, before you start the process, know how to obtain the handsel's MSID number, yourself. You can't be sure anyone behind the counter will know what you're talking about.

Best regards,

-Paul-

Edited by: K5PF (Corrects state from WVA to KY)

Journeyman

Re: MSID and Appalachian Wireless (West Virginia)

I know this thread is a little old but around what part of Southeastern Kentucky were you having these issues? I was told that my Sprint phone could roam on Appalachian Wireless towers but I went to Evarts, KY recently and could not get any service looking directly at the towers.

Journeyman

I just started having this problem today.  I have the LG Lotus Elite and the LG Lotus.  My phone worked fine until I got home today and completely stopped working.  I am not able to text, make or receive calls.  I even got the message when trying to call customer service.  The only thing that has changed in my home is I added the Airvana (VOIP) about a month ago due to dropped calls in my home. I am going to disconnect it to see if that resolves the issue.  If that doesn't work, I guess I will join the ranks of unhappy customers.

I have AT&T High Speed Internet and it was working fine up until a few days ago when I noticed my texts were failing and I got an error message saying the network was unavailable.  Now, today I am not able to text and when I try to make a call I get an error message saying my phone is not authorized to call the number even when calling customer service.

I guess you can say I am screwed since I only have cell phones, I guess I will be going to the store to see IF they can resolve the issue.

Journeyman

I unplugged the (VOIP) and calls started going through.  Has to be a problem with the VOIP.  Calling customer service now

Community News

Community News

Find out whats happening on the bridge, we'll share new features and fun on the community as well as exciting news from the mothership...read more.