cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Very Slow 3g Data Speeds -- you too ?

Journeyman

Very Slow 3g Data Speeds -- you too ?

I just got my HTC Evo 4g yesterday (purchased directly from Sprint online).  I am a new Sprint customer -- have been with Verizon Wireless for a while using a Motorola Droid.

I am located in the northern part of Westchester County, NY.

The data connection speed (especially on the download side) I have been getting with the Evo using 3g (no 4g available in my local area yet -- so I can't comment on that) are not very good.  I have been testing this from my house which is located in a "good" coverage area (according to Sprint's coverage maps) and I have about 3-4 bars of signal strength indicated on the Evo (although it does fluctuate a bit -- as low as 1 bar as high as 5).

I still have my Verizon device (Moto Droid) so I was able to test them side by side simultaneously.

Using the SpeedTest.Net (Ookla) Android app on the Evo, I have tried a wide variety of servers.  This morning my download speeds ranged from about .1 Mbps to about .67 Mbps with the average being about .46 Mbps.

On my Motorola Droid (Verizon) I am also located in a "good" coverage area and average about 3-4 bars of signal strength (although the Droid only uses a 4 bar scale -- so perhaps my VZW signal is a bit better than my Sprint signal on the Evo). Using the same setup on the Verizon Motorola Droid my download speeds ranged from about 1.01 Mbps to 2.29 Mbps.

Now I never expected that Sprint would be as fast (and I realize that my signal might be a bit stronger on the VZW device) but this difference is astonishing !  On average, my download speeds over VZW are 3-4 times as fast ??!!

When actually browsing the Web using the standard (built-in) browser on both devices -- the difference is quite noticeable -- If I try to load a fairly intensive page (like something from the regular CNN site) the Droid is finished loading the page while the Evo hasn't even received enough data to begin rendering the page.  The latency is also much higher on the Evo -- one can sometimes literally wait 2-3 seconds before data starts being downloaded.

Signal strength issues aside (which in reality may not account for very much of the difference -- since one doesn't necessarily need many bars to get decent data speeds) how can this be explained ??

I'm still in my 30 day trial period with Sprint and I'm not sure what to do -- whether to stay with Verizon or not -- I prefer the Evo as a device over the Droid -- but a great device without a good connection is meaningless. I called Sprint Tech Support and they really didn't help much nor provide any explanation -- they simply had me pull the battery, updated my profile and reboot -- didn't really help.  They then tried to attribute my results to the Speedtest.Net app (saying it was an "unsupported 3rd party app") !!!  (even though (a) almost all apps one can install on the device are "3rd party" (b) speedtest (ookla) is industry standard software for data speed measurement (c) all other apps on my Evo also receive (and send) data slowly (d) doesn't explain why the VZW results were 4x as fast (since it is a "3rd party app" to that device/network as well)

This is the typical unresponsive pass the buck answer one might, unfortunately, expect.  I was under the impression that Sprint was trying to (a) improve their customer service (and its reputation) and (b) improve their network.

Does anyone have similar experiences ?  Is this all due to heavier than normal network traffic due to the Evo rollout ?? Is Sprint normally this slow ?

I'd be willing to accept that my speeds might go down a bit with Sprint, but I was expecting something like a 10-15% reduction in speed. As it is, Verizon is giving me speeds 3-4 times as fast.  I've been using smartphones on different carriers for years and expect differences, fluctutations, etc...

but this level of data connection is not really acceptable to me.  Will it get better ?? (other than waiting for 4g -- which probably won't come to my area for a long time, if ever -- since it is only scheduled to rollout in NYC towards the end of 2010).

Many people have complained about the $ 10 premium data surcharge for the Evo.  I am certainly not happy about it, but it becomes even more absurd when I can't even get decent 3g service while I wait for the possible eventual implementation of 4g in my area. I'd be happy to receive 3g speeds IN LINE with what Sprint publicly advertises for their 3g (see attached pic).  Since (a) I am in an area of supposedly good coverage according to Sprint's own coverage map and (b) they publicly advertise 3g speeds averaging between .6 and 1.4 Mbps (peaking at 3.1 Mbps) that is what I DESERVE to receive. If they don't deliver on this they are falsely selling a product -- they should either lower their advertised speeds or change their coverage maps.

Any ideas, comments much appreciated. I'd especially like to have a response from a Sprint employee which did anything other that deny the problem exists or pass the buck to an irrelevant, unrelated cause.

Message was edited by: nawells1

372 REPLIES
Journeyman

Re: Very Slow 3g Data Speeds -- you too ?

All day today and starting yesterday I started getting <300kbps down and 200-500 kbps up in Louisville Ky.

I assueme there must be problems but don't know who to contact. Calling *2 seems like it would take a lot of time and the issue would not be fixed.

The first few days I got my EVO I was getting 1.1-1.4 Mbs down reliably. now I can barely break 2-300kbps. Every once in a while it will pull out 900kbps.

There must be somthing wrong.

Journeyman

Emoose,

you are probably right -- but don't think it can hurt letting them know ....

in my opinion, these days, .3Mbps is just not acceptable....

Journeyman

I opened a ticket with Sprint.

Its terribly intermitent. I just tested 700k down but then will jump back to 300k down and my latency is ranging between 150ms to 999ms on Speedtest.

Journeyman

Interesting -- I just got a call from a Sprint rep. who asked me if my speed was any better since earlier today.  I told her "no, about the same".

She told me she was going to refer it to someone -- but before she could finish her sentence, my wonderfully reliable Evo dropped the call !!

She didn't call back (yet) -- maybe she knew what had happened and was too embarrassed !?

If it keeps up like this -- I'm staying with Verizon (I literally could count on one hand the number of dropped calls I've had with VZW in a period of several years of daily use)

Journeyman

It's the network, always has been.   You can take 20 speed test and your results will be all over the place.

Journeyman

I just spoke with 2 Sprint Reps. who told me there was an open trouble ticket in regard to network problems affecting the greater NY and NJ area.

Has anyone heard this ??  Is it true ??

Journeyman

Is this issue resolved? I am thinking of switching to sprint, and I am looking to see if issues like these are getting addressed by customer service appropriately and if the data network is so slow as stated or it is just a temporary issue. If it is NOT, then there is no point in getting EVO.

Wizard

nawells1 If I were you I would contact *2 and open a ticket with costumer service. I had this same problem but in Miami Florida. In my house and in the souring area all the Sprint Phone Internet would be extremely slow since I test with 6 sprint phone. I contact them and yes I will say it took a little long but in three week it was fix. Right After I call they contact me saying that my tower was overloaded. One week after I call I saw improvement and three week later it was all fast. This only happen in the tower near our house all the other tower in Miami Florida were acceptable speed.

Wizard

mithun1977 this problem only happens in certain tower. I do not think Sprint is overloaded in all the NY area. For me they fix my problem with my overloaded tower problem which was imposible to use the Internet on . Yes it took longer than I expected but it was done. This took Sprint about 3 week but saw improvement 1 week after I called. In Miami were I live it was only the tower were I live but all the other towers here in Miami were fine with good Internet speed.