Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Whats up with 4G

Journeyman

Whats up with 4G

donnie,

Thanks for the response.

I just  called up sprint and told them that i was interested in a new line of  service.  i explained that i wasn't sure whether to get a cheaper 3G  phone or spring for the 4G.  I said that I knew they couldn't guarantee  when 4G was coming to my area specifically, but that I just wanted to  confirm that Sprint is still aggressively expanding 4G service and that  if I spend the extra for a 4G device that it will at least be able to  work on the new towers going up.

The woman said yes.  I  asked to confirm this with a supervisor and worded everything the same  way, stressing that I was only willing to pay extra if the device was  going to work on the new towers that are going up.  The supervisor  confirmed that my phone would work and wished me a happy new year (they  told me that I would get a better deal if I purchased online).

Curious  what you have to say about that.  I'm fairly certain that I could make  these calls all night and I would hear the same answer almost every  time.  Why is Sprint not educating its reps on this issue?  Didn't  Sprint stop building wimax towers at least a year ago now?  This  shouldn't be new to anyone.

Wizard

Re: Whats up with 4G

I will have this addressed to the best of my ability. Please respond to the private message I'm sending you.

-Donnie

Highlighted
Journeyman

Whats up with 4G

Hey Donnie,

I don't see any reason why our discussion should be private for now; no offense.

"I'm  pretty upset that you were told  incorrect information to such an  extent. If you give me your phone  number, I will personally contact  those involved to make sure they're  not misinforming customers." [-Donnie]

I appreciate your concern, but the point that I am  trying to make is that nearly everyone at Sprint is misinforming  customers like this.  I could find 100 reps who will say the same thing;  I wouldn't expect you to call them all by yourself.  I feel that  Sprint's only option is to aggressively and publicly notify employees  and customers of the Wimax/LTE incompatibility situation. 

At  this point I have made it clear that Sprint is making sales through  false statements of material fact.  In addition, Sprint has demonstrated  knowledge that these statements are false.  Combined with Sprint's  failure to inform all of its employees and customers of the truth, these  actions constitute as an intent to deceive for the purpose of selling  an obsolete technology.  Sprint customers are justifiably reliant on  statements from Sprint reps when deciding whether to purchase a 4G  device; customers are being caused to purchase more expensive 4G  products under the false pretense that Wimax will eventually come to  their area. 

I don't know how else to interpret this situation other than as blatant fraud.

Again, I appreciate your offer to contact the two  representatives that I mentioned, but Sprint as a whole needs to take a  similar action that reaches everyone potentially affected.

Personally, I would also very much like to see a  credit on my account that acknowledges Sprint's role in my purchase  decision and that reflects three things:

• Loss of value of my device
  • Cost of purchasing an LTE device
  • A general apology for knowingly misleading me to make a sale

I'm willing to bet that there are many customers out there who are entitled to receive the same thing.

Journeyman

Whats up with 4G

I just called up sprint again and this time I asked for the tech support department.  I spoke with a base level associate who stated like before that Wimax coverage is still expanding and so purchasing a 4G device would be a fine idea. 

I asked to confirm that information with her supervisor.

He confirmed it.

How does that make you feel that even tech support doesn't seem to know that Wimax is no longer being built?

Journeyman

Whats up with 4G

I just got off the phone with them. It is amazing how little they know or perhaps they're just told to play dumb. They continue to sell 4G Wimax phones to people who are never going to see 4G Wimax in their area. I had been a Sprint customer for many years. Switched to Verizon. It was worth the early termination fee just to get the customer service from Verizon. Not to mention....... I have 4G NOW. As opposed to never getting it with my EVO on the 'now' network. Good-bye Sprint. You could've had a customer for life with just a little understanding.

Journeyman

DRLAURA1,

Good for you!  I've had so many issues with Sprint that my plan is almost unlimited for only $50 a month.  A similar plan on any other carrier would be double the price; it's the only reason that I don't leave Sprint.  Glad you've found something better though.

And thanks for confirming that Sprint is telling everyone who calls that Wimax is going to someday reach their area.

Wizard

Sorry about the delayed response. I've had a lot of time off over the holidays. I think you may have strayed too much from your original point of selling devices under false pretenses. WiMax coverage hasn't been shut off and is still expanding, just not very quickly. I'm not sure that's it's still moving into new markets. Buying a WiMax device is still a great idea because the existing infrastructure is still there and many of our most powerful devices do include WiMax functionality. I can really only speak of my personal environment, but I work in a Tech Support call center myself, and I can say as far as I know everyone here is aware of situation of WiMax versus LTE and doesn't attempt to conceal this information. I even asked around to make sure everyone was brought up to speed.

-Donnie

Journeyman

Hey there Donnie!

The delay is no problem.  It  gave me time to speak with Brenda S. on Dan's coporate support team.   Interestingly, Brenda contradicted everything that you have just said; I  will even quote from one of her e-mails to prove that in a bit.

It  is my understanding that Brenda's department is generally above yours  in authority and that her department would likewise be privy to the  Wimax situation in greater detail than your department would be.  In  fact she said as much when we spoke on the phone, but feel free to  correct me if she is wrong.  So forgive me for taking her word over  yours here.

Brenda did not claim that Wimax is expanding.  Rather, she initially told me that Sprint has not released information either way and so a  Sprint employee claiming to know this information could only be  speculating.  However, I forced the issue and she put me on hold; when  she came back, she admitted that Wimax is no longer being expanded.   She made no mention of Wimax expanding slowly and she no longer claimed  that it was uncertain whether Wimax would move to new cities.  Would  you mind citing your sources for your claims?  I know you basically said  that you asked around in your department, but that is a bit vague.  I  have cited my source and I hope you will agree that it is a reputable  one.

As I said, Brenda and I are now in contact through e-mail.  Here is a quote from her: "Sprint has not announced how they will be rolling out 4G LTE, and the

WiMax expansions have stopped and no further WiMax Cities will be added."

What  do you make of all this?  It would seem that as I continue to move up the corporate ladder, people like you try telling me that Wimax is coming my  way and eventually admit that it is not...but nobody is afraid to try making a sale first before doing their research.

If Sprint is really expanding  Wimax or even has plans to, why don't you just end this issue by posting  an official Sprint release stating that this is the case?  I've certainly produced plenty of evidence showing that Wimax expansion has been abandoned.

My  next concern is that I have asked multiple Sprint reps to escalate my  issue to arbitration.  As you may or may not know, arbitration is the  only legal remedy allowed by a Sprint customer's contract.   Unfortunately, I have so far been denied this request, even by Brenda.  Does that void my contract?  It seems like it should.

Are  you now willing to admit that Wimax is not expanding anymore?  Are you  now realizing that everyone you spoke with about this issue is  misinformed?  I assure you that most everyone at Sprint is as  misinformed as you and your coworkers.  Odd that everyone is misinformed  in the same way as to encourage more sales of your Wimax phones, eh?  I  specifically told Brenda that I would like to see employees and  customers notified of the truth so that they can make informed  purchases; I did not get the impression that Sprint even considers this  an option.

Eager to hear your thoughts.

Wizard

Whats up with 4G

I'm not seeing the inconsistency between what you were told by Brenda and what I said. I said that I didn't think any new cities would be added and that any future expansion of WiMax would be very slow. I would certainly take what you were told by corporate over what I told you, but I'm just not seeing much of a disconnect. Officially, WiMax is not expanding (we're not building new WiMax towers), but actually real world coverage area will continue to slowly increase for some time. This type of coverage change will not really be reflected on our coverage maps because it's mostly minor adjustments to the existing infrastructure which will be in place at least though the end of 2013. Also, coverage area and speeds should both gradually increase as fewer devices are using the service. Sorry if I wasn't specific enough but I never meant to say anything like "WiMax is coming your way." As much as I would like to, I'm not authorized to release official Sprint communications.

-Donnie

Journeyman

Hey Donnie,

I've already gathered that you are too intelligent to not recognize the inconsistencies that i've pointed out.  I also have more faith in the readers of this forum than to believe that they don't see the truth of the matter by now.  Also two readers have posted that they were tricked in the same way that I am talking about, and you seem to have ignored them.  I'm not going to waste time comparing what you said to what Brenda said to prove that you contradicted each other; it's obvious.

What I will do is quote you in two separate messages and show how you are contradicting yourself.

Jan 8:

"WiMax coverage...is still expanding, just not very quickly."

Jan 9:

"WiMax is not expanding"

Jan 8:

"Buying a WiMax device is still a great idea because [of] the existing infrastructure"

Jan 9:

"WiMax is not expanding...he existing infrastructure...will be in place at least through the end of 2013"

Jan 9:

"WiMax is not expanding"

Jan 9:

"[Wimax] coverage area will continue to slowly increase"

Jan 8:

"I'm not sure that's it's still moving into new markets. [sic]"

Jan 9:

"we're not building new WiMax towers"

Of course, regardless of whether I misunderstood you or whether you are backpedaling, the fact remains that Sprint employees are not giving customers the nuance details that you are offering as you adjust your story.  Sprint employees are telling customers that Wimax WILL eventually reach their area and that it is a smart idea to buy a Wimax phone.  You can argue until you're blue in the face, but nothing is going to change what Sprint is doing and nothing is going to change that Sprint needs to change this practice fast.  The longer you avoid the issue, the worse it makes Sprint look.

Community News

Community News

Find out whats happening on the bridge, we'll share new features and fun on the community as well as exciting news from the mothership...read more.