cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Alaska coverage/roaming

Journeyman

Alaska coverage/roaming

I was just considering moving to sprint when I was offered a 4 month job in alaska. 

I read this

"Sprint and T-Mobile's don't operate their own networks in Alaska, but have roaming agreements with GCI. That means you'll still get a signal where GCI's network is present."

https://www.whistleout.com/CellPhones/Guides/Best-Coverage-in-Alaska-USA

I called sprint customer service to confirm but nobody seemed to know anything. Can somebody affiliated with sprint confirm/deny this before I make a big ol mistake?

4 REPLIES 4
Sprint Social Care S.M.A.R.T. Agent

Re: Alaska coverage/roaming

I definitely don't want you to have issues with your phone on your job. Do you have a zip code for the area you will be in?

RedCruzr
Social Care 

Queen of Unlocks and Billing Questions. Samsung for Life!!
Kudos and Accepted Solutions are welcomed and appreciated.
Journeyman

(At least thats the closest settlement)
Sprint Social Care S.M.A.R.T. Agent

Your findings are correct. Alaska is not covered by our towers. Our Unlimited Freedom plan offers only 100MB of data roaming. I hope that we can help you in the future though.

RedCruzr
Social Care 

Queen of Unlocks and Billing Questions. Samsung for Life!!
Kudos and Accepted Solutions are welcomed and appreciated.
Journeyman

After spending nearly three hours on the phone with Sprint support, trying to find out why Sprint suspended data on our “unlimited voice/text/data” account, while on our Alaska adventure today, nothing would surprise me any more in dealing with support. We received at least three solutions from three different sources, none of which worked. The final result is nothing...there is no practical data plan for Alaska outside of wi-fi. If you need Location services, such as maps, gps, etc., buy a plan elsewhere (Walmart, ...), after you verify Alaskan coverage, and protect yourself. Our trip is made much more difficult, because we bought into the hype about “unlimited” coverage. To be in a US state without wi-fi and data is a real handicap. The term “unlimited” is deceptive advertising in Sprint’s case. The state of Alaska should warn visitors to check on their providers before trusting their convenience and safety to folks who aren’t able to support their own products and claims. Don’t come here with a Sprint-based cell phone and expect to depend on it. Period.

Community News

Sprint S.M.A.R.T Agents
Sprint S.M.A.R.T Agent are here to help Monday through Sunday 6:00 AM CT - 6:00 PM CT. If you need to speak to an agent outside of these hours, please visit Sprint Chat