cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Connected to Magic Box - Data is being completely blocked

Journeyman

Connected to Magic Box - Data is being completely blocked

I have been waiting nearly a week for a response from the Sprint Magic Box tech team, so I wanted to see if anyone has had a similar issue.  I work in a building with a horrible signal, but I can get a faint LTE data signal as I have a window.  I was sent a magic box.

I set it up, it connects with tower (1.5 miles away) and reads a good signal.  My phone then hits the magic box and in theory I should have blazing speed (full bars light up);  the exact opposite happens.  100% data blockage.  Cannot reach any servers for speed test, no web pages load, it is a completely data blackout.  I unplug the box, my faint signal hits my phone again for my lowly 1.5 mbps download speed (at best), but it is there.

I have reset the box to factory, talked to tech and they see it on the network, said everything looks good for them.  Any ideas?  It is acting like a firewall and stopping all inbound data to my phone.  New customer and pretty frustrated.

9 REPLIES 9
Sprint Social Care S.M.A.R.T. Agent

Re: Connected to Magic Box - Data is being completely blocked

Hi there, GoECUPirates! What type of phone are you using and have what troubleshooting steps have you done on the phone? 

IPhone XR - I have done everything to the phone outside of a full reset. Wifi on/off, Enable LTE data on/off/DATA &Voice/Data Only/, ##update#, airplane mode on/off, power off/on, phone off - while tech support sends update, data roaming on/off, Stand close to box, stand far from box. For the box: Box on/box off, reset, moved windows, left off three days to ensure full battery drain. I have yet to attempt the Hokie Pokie, but it is on the shortlist if I can't get it figured out.

Thanks for that!  I don't think the Hokey-Pokey will be necessary.  I'm going to do some digging on this, and I'll reach back out when I get some insight as to what's causing this. 

At this point I called back a few times and they are going to replace the box.  They think that is what it is.  We will see.

Wizard

I received an email last week from Sprint saying a software upgrade to my box rendered it from working.  So they sent me a new box.  I got it yesterday and hooked it up.  Haven't had time to test out the thing but we'll see.

The previous box, prior to the bad upgrade, wasn't working very well.  I get full LTE bars but worse data speed than without it.  So, I'm hoping this new box will be better.

Let us know if you run into any issues with the new box. We're here to help troubleshoot if you're still having issues. 

"Hail Yourself!" - Ben Kissel

Journeyman

New Magicbox did the trick.  Sending the old one back today, but the new one immediately fired up and has boosted the signal perfectly.

I'm glad it did the trick! I'd strongly urge returning the magic box via a UPS store instead of a regular old UPS drop box. By going to the store, they will provide you with a confirm # to ensure the old box makes its way back to us safely. Don't forget to stop back by if you ever need assistance in the future!

"Hail Yourself!" - Ben Kissel

Journeyman

I will add that the second one I received (and that works) is an original/plain Magic Box (black bottom), whereas the one that did not work was the Magic box Gold (gold bottom).  Not sure what the difference would be or if it has any relevance, but did just notice as I was boxing the old one up.

Community News

Sprint S.M.A.R.T Agents
Sprint S.M.A.R.T Agent are here to help Monday through Sunday 6:00 AM CT - 6:00 PM CT. If you need to speak to an agent outside of these hours, please visit Sprint Chat