cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Data Connection Issue: Searching For Service

Highlighted
Community Manager

Re: Data Connection Issue: Searching For Service

@ZombieDelicacy Without having your exact problem address, let's troubleshoot the city of Roanoke, VA generally. Let's get our anchor point of the intersection of Kirk Ave SW and S. Jefferson St.  From there, let's go 3 miles North, South, East, West.  In this area, we have roughly 30 sites.  Out of those, 30 sites, 2 sites are broadcasting LTE.  None of the sites are broadcasting on the 2.5GHz spectrum which would provide faster data speeds and blanketing the area in coverage.  To put it in layman's terms the sites are our legacy network and have never been updated.  No Network Vision which was announced in 2010 and LTE Advanced, which was announced last year and all the networks we've done in between the last decade.  Why? I can only guess.  Looking at those sites, they are owned and operated by Shentel.  Not sure what's their update strategy and/or schedule, but I have no dates for that area.  

With the lack of 2.5GHz, I would expect a capacity problem in the area especially if there is a high Sprint and Shentel presence in the area. Slow data speeds, drop calls, calls going to voicemail, etc.  What makes it worst, you have the latest device which is looking for the latest of the network and it's non-existent.

@NathaninOk if I recall you are in Broken Arrow/Tulsa area.  This is the polar opposite, the area is updated to the max.  In fact, I was there this weekend attending my daughter's soccer clinic live streaming back to OKC.  Gun to my head, I would say the service is better there than in OKC.  With that said, there are rumblings on the internets that iOS 12 has degraded voice and data usage and Apple is scrambling to drop 12.1.4 and/or 13 to address.  This a rumor and not an official statement from me (Sprint).  If I were to guess, 12.1.4 would be to address the Group FaceTime security issue and 13 would be to address other major bugs.  Just my 2 cents.

Journeyman

That’s an awesome rundown. Thanks for that. I was wondering if there was an iOS bug and i appreciate your feedback even as speculation. I heard about the group messaging bug so i know they’re trying to push out an update but if data usage or refreshing mobile data connectivity is one too, i hope they are aware of it. Thanks.
Community Manager

Fingers crossed. 

@NathaninOk wrote:
That’s an awesome rundown. Thanks for that. I was wondering if there was an iOS bug and i appreciate your feedback even as speculation. I heard about the group messaging bug so i know they’re trying to push out an update but if data usage or refreshing mobile data connectivity is one too, i hope they are aware of it. Thanks.

GrandMaster

you also have to take into consideration that one of these issues is going to take priority over the other issue..their facetime security fail is probably going to take priority over the reception..so in case you receive a update that doesnt fix the reception deal just yet it WILL happen..but they are pushing pretty hard to seal up that facetime deal quickly.

@NathaninOk wrote:

I like many others come onto this site for assistance and to help others. Marking a reply as helpful or correct helps others with like issues when they try to search the site for assistance. I do not work for Sprint and my suggestions and or opinions are my own. *************************************************************************************************************
Journeyman

Thank. I definitely. Understand that. The problem is that this issue has been going on for awhile and there was no known root cause. I just looked up 12.1.2 today and saw there are articles about dropped data connectivity and 12.1.2 and sprint. I was more wanting the issue to be known and investigated so maybe it is known. But i fully understand the enormous priority the FaceTime bug has presented to apple but I’m also concerned that mobile connectivity has been an issue with sprint , apple or not, for some time. Hoping for definitive progress on it.
Journeyman

I got a notification that there was a resolution to this that I just noticed because I literally JUST had it happen again. It’s happening approximately THREE TIMES A DAY now. I understand someone made a comment that my phone is new and therefore searching for a service not available in my area. Fine. I could understand if my service was simply unpredictable and was in and out, but NO. My service literally DISAPPEARS COMPLETELY for no reason AT ALL. And the ONLY FIX TO IT is to restart my phone completely which is not only frustrating, but I’m also missing calls and pictures and things the entire time unknowingly because I’m connected to WiFi most of the day as I work from home. So my regular internet features are working and until I disconnect from WiFi or try to make a call, I have NO IDEA I have no phone service. I have children in school and so I could miss an emergency with this! I appreciate smart phones and all they are capable of, but ultimately I have a phone to... call people and receive calls! So no, this issue is NOT resolved. PLEASE continue to work on it! Thank you!!

Journeyman

I received that same notification that this had been resolved. I'm not sure who decided that it was but as the original poster, I know this issue is not resolved and I never accepted any resolution. I made sure to uncheck the post that marked this as resolved. This problem is ongoing with too many of us continuing to experience this issue.

Sprint Social Care S.M.A.R.T. Agent

@a_nic31, your original post was from last June. You're still having issues? I've looked at the towers you use most. I see great coverage in that area for voice and data. However, Chicago is a big city with a lot of tall buildings. The congestion, the building heights, the height of the tower compared to the building you're in, and being close to the water, can all play a factor in your service. Do you work or live in a building that is more than 4-5 stories?

RedCruzr
Social Care 

Queen of Unlocks and Billing Questions. Samsung for Life!!
Kudos and Accepted Solutions are welcomed and appreciated.
Journeyman

Hi @RedCruzr_Sprint

I am still having issues. Not as often as before but it still occurs, mostly when I'm at work or in the vicinity of downtown Chicago. I live in a building that is just 3 floors. The building I work in is 7 floors but I work on the 1st floor. The zip there is 60607 on Clinton street in the West Loop area. The nearest cross streets are Van Buren and Canal. I spoke to some Sprint reps who told me a tower was down in that area. However they couldn't give me an estimate for when it would be fixed. If it's true about the tower, it's been down since I first started this thread and as recently as last month when I contacted Sprint to report the issues again after data service was unavailable all day for myself and my fellow coworkers who had Sprint. We all had the Searching for Service message. The reps I spoke to told me there was nothing they could do for me because the tower in that area was still down.

I'm seeing quite a few red towers on the map in that zip code, but only 2 close to the cross streets. A red tower is one that has a service alert on it. Since you've mentioned coworkers, I have to ask the obvious question. Has everybody always had issues in that building, or have you been a customer for years in the same building and the issue just started last year? Has there been any changes or improvements to the building itself? Maybe a change in exterior? This can change how the signal is received in the building.

RedCruzr
Social Care 

Journeyman

We've worked in that building for several years and until last year, we didn't have this problem. There hasn't been any changes or improvements on the building. 

How about new buildings in the area? Something that may block the signal from getting to you? Or an increase in people in that area?

When towers are down or not working properly, it can push more people onto your normal towers. If you're a heavy data user and they aren't using as much, you could see deprioritization as the tower makes room for them. How far from home do you work? Are you seeing changes in the service once you're closer to home, or out of the vicinity of the work area?

RedCruzr
Social Care 

Community News

Sprint S.M.A.R.T Agents
Sprint S.M.A.R.T Agent are here to help Monday through Friday 6:00 AM CT - 6:00 PM CT. If you need to speak to an agent outside of these hours, please visit Sprint Chat