cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Devices of all types stuck on 3G

Journeyman

Devices of all types stuck on 3G

In the past 2 month my device is stuck on 3G. It will try to connect to LTE but will fail (showing LTE! with no bars), and fall back to 3G. Since it tries to do it periodically it burns battary and loses connectivity again and again.

After spending 2 X 2hours sessions with Sprint 1st and 2nd line support on the phone, running all updates (PRL, Profile, reprovision SCRTN), going to Sprint store to get new SIM, and even Factory resetting the device - Noting solves this. It might be related to International or local roaming profiles not cleaning out, but since I did a factory reset and got device reprovisioned from scratch + new SIM I believe it is not as simple as this.

I was told my device is defective and I should contact Samsung to have it fixed (since it is still under warranty). Samsung was OK with it - as long as I send my device (after factory reset again) to them for 10 biz days fix (not including shipping time - so a minimum of 3 weeks without my phone) - Not a realistic solution. Especially since I cannot use my Sprint SIM with any other device I got at home during that time (Sprint SIM is bound to the device and cannot be used with any other device). This is a working tool used 100-150 times a day. cannot do without it for 3 weeks.

However - this is all a moot point (that maybe Samsung should reconsider their policy), becuase this week I was over to the UK and behold - Great LTE signal and network connectivity. So device IS NOT defective.

Asking around and looking in this forum as well on Google - it seems like a widespread issue on all types of devices, Android and iPhone both. Got testimonies online and in person about other people experiencing this and spending hours and hours with Sprint phone support or stores to resolve, with same suggested solutions as I listed above, to no avail. The common ""solution"" was - "I just gave up and stayed with  3G only instead of LTE" or left Sprint.

SPRINT folks - especially with the launch of LTE PLUS and VoLTE - you need to look into this widespread issue, not as specific device issues but as a wide scale repeating phenomenon. Solve #SprintStuckOn3G NOW!

Tags (3)
11 REPLIES
Journeyman

Re: Devices of all types stuck on 3G

I have noticed mine is doing this same thing. Speeds suck. iPhone 8 Plus 

Journeyman

If you experience this too - please Reply to this message with how long it has been going on and your device type. and tag+tweet it #SprintStuckOn3G
GrandMaster

would probably help if yall included a tad bit more info..like what phones? and possibly a location to actually look at?

zip code and closest cross streets perhaps?

while i sit here on LTE

I like many others come onto this site for assistance and to help others. Marking a reply as helpful or correct helps others with like issues when they try to search the site for assistance. I do not work for Sprint and my suggestions and or opinions are my own. *************************************************************************************************************
Journeyman

29733 and 29681 are the two zip codes I have experienced it in 

GrandMaster

full 3G through both of those zip codes? if not include close by cross streets so they can look at specific towers near those areas.

I like many others come onto this site for assistance and to help others. Marking a reply as helpful or correct helps others with like issues when they try to search the site for assistance. I do not work for Sprint and my suggestions and or opinions are my own. *************************************************************************************************************
Journeyman

I'm on Samsung S8.
This has nothing to do with a specific location or tower. It is all over the nation. I'm in Mass (Boston area and suburbs), yesterday in Chicago IL, last week in NY. Getting same behavior wherever I am - except when I was abroad last week where LTE was working remarkably.
GrandMaster

if its across the nation and only with the S8 then you probably know who the finger needs to be pointed at..Sprint covers the network..not how the phone operates...that would be on the OEM to fix that issue...which oddly enough im not seeing a onslaught of reports of the S8's on Sprint running into this..

GrandMaster

@amauritz72

since you mentioned the 8Plus by chance are you running the new 12.1.1 Beta?

if you are this might apply

https://community.sprint.com/t5/Phone-Device-Support-Articles/SOLUTION-Apple-iPhone-8-Plus-12-1-1-Be...

Journeyman

My wife also has the same S8 and it is all good.
I've heard testimonies fro ppl with iphones of all sorts, Androids of various models.
Any ideas why would I get great LTE support/speed in London UK and not on my own carrier in the US (with same device and SIM).
Journeyman

Yeah it looks like the beta is what messed mine up. Seems to be working fine now. Thanks!

GrandMaster

*tips hat* twernt nothin..doin what i do in here.

@amauritz72 wrote:

Yeah it looks like the beta is what messed mine up. Seems to be working fine now. Thanks!

Community News

Sprint S.M.A.R.T Agents
Sprint S.M.A.R.T Agent are here to help Monday through Friday 6:30 AM CT - 5:00 PM CT. If you need to speak to an agent outside of these hours, please visit Sprint Chat