cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Galaxy S9 stuck on 3G, no help from tech support

Highlighted
Journeyman

Galaxy S9 stuck on 3G, no help from tech support

Ever since the text announcing how great the service would be from the merger coverage has gotten way worse, now phone is stuck on 3G.  Multiple chat supports (excess of six) all go through the same thing, update PRL, update profile, SCRTN update, reset all network connections, reboot phone, start in safe mode and none of that works.  I have been a customer since Nextel days and am on my last straw.  I even have a magic box at home that was working beautifully now phone will not connect to the magic box.  Yep, tech support call to them and get the same troubleshooting steps.  Still not connecting.  Updating the PRL will result in a connection with full bars at LTE for about 5 minutes then all connections drop stays off for about a minute and then comes back with 3G.  Extreme disappointment that Sprint can't offer anything other than reboot, reset, and update various things. Really really close to dumping them after 20 plus years, kind of sad when you think about this is how they really care about taking care of long time customers. 

37 REPLIES 37
Highlighted

Assuming it is the SCRTN by using the dialer, yes, numerous times.

Highlighted

This is one I'll have to access your account for. I'll send a PM. 

Highlighted
Journeyman

After two more people assisting and getting nowhere i was directed to go to a repair center for a new SIM card.  I did, the tech there listened to what all had been done and he recommended a new SIM.  That did not work.  After him performing every update he went to talk with his manager.  Came back out saying that some Sprint phones are not fully compatible with T-Mobiles platform so until they fix that you will just have to deal with it.  I asked him if that was the case then upgrade the phone to one that was compatible and he said he didn't understand my problem as the phone works.  He said it will show 3G but is really LTE.   Download speed was 2mb Nd upload was .5. 

I am done with this company and the continued run around. Always told someone higher was going to call or fix it but it never happens.  If in fact the merger caused some phones to be fully compatible then there should have been a plan in place. Did T-Mobile think we wouldn't notice?  Or maybe they thought we wouldn't care?  

Highlighted

I get why you're feeling this way, service issues can be frustrating. As stated above, you've performed all troubleshooting steps in regards to this matter, I'll like to speak to you in private to take a look at your account. 

Highlighted
Journeyman

You are not alone.  We are in East Texas.  I had a GS8 with the same problem that started about 3 weeks ago.  If I power cycled the phone, NO SIGNAL AT ALL.   If I let the phone sit for an hour or two after powering up, I would get a signal and it would start working again with 1-2 bars of LTE.  I should note that before this problem started, I had 100% reliable LTE service.

After 6-7 calls to Sprint and many hours of my time. I was told the problem was my phone.  As directed by Sprint, I drove an hour and 15 minutes each way to the nearest service center to be told they could not do anything until they try a new SIM card.  Well, they didn't have any SIM cards for my phone and neither did any nearby stores.  Sprint sent me a new SIM card.  I ended up buying a new phone ( Pixel 4 ) which worked somewhat better, but still nowhere as well as it should and the speed was terrible.

After talking with a Sprint tech, I was told they are working on the towers in our area ( Switching to T-Mobile Network )  and the Band 41 (Sprint 2.5Ghz LTE ) is going away.  Our closest tower lost this band which is why my service went from pretty good to occasionally useful.

Now to add insult to injury, I bought a band new GS20 from Sprint in June.  This phone used to work fantastically on Sprint before they decided to wreck the service in our area with the T-Mobile integration, now I get 1 bar LTE if I am outside with good weather, other than that it is only slightly better than a doorstop.  Yes, a $1200  Samsung GS20 doorstop.

Sprint support is basically useless at this point and unless they do something to fix this problem, I am going to be forced to move to a different carrier which really pains me because we have been with Sprint for over 19 years!

Sprint, this merger is anything but smooth.  It downright stinks.

Highlighted
GrandMaster

i have yet to run into anything merger related..i know all towers for both sides wont stay in place in certain areas because they are to close to each other..but since Sprint can connect to TMO towers there shouldnt be any issues.

are all devices the same or a mix of manufacturers?

I like many others come onto this site for assistance and to help others. Marking a reply as helpful or correct helps others with like issues when they try to search the site for assistance. I do not work for Sprint and my suggestions and or opinions are my own. *************************************************************************************************************
Highlighted

Each device would be manufactured under it's brand. The carriers is where the differential come into play. I'd like to refresh your data settings on your account to see if there is any improvement. That's why we need your account information. 

Highlighted
Journeyman

I am having this exact same issue... tried every reset, refresh, factory reset, new SIM, etc more times than I can count. I believe this started with the last software update. Ever since, I only show LTE for maybe 10-15 seconds before Carrier Hub and/or OMADM runs and drops my data connection, only to return as a very slow 3G connection. I am in Denver where previously I had 5 bars of very fast LTE service. Now my data service is junk and virtually unusable. I have tried changing/adding APN settings, every hack available which solved issues with other phones or software update glitches. Nothing has worked for the past two weeks.

Highlighted

Hey, we sent you a PM. We'd really like to help you. Please respond to our PM so we can proceed. 

Highlighted

Hi, did not see you PM but sent you one as well. If we can connect to try resolving this issue that would be awesome!

Highlighted

After spending two hours on chat, then another hour on the phone the problem was resolved. Took three levels of support to someone that removed the T-mobile provisions of my account or something like that. Now, phone is back to full bars LTE and is connecting back to the magic box.  Tech said it probably wouldn't last long because they are actively moving everyone to T-Mobile networks and when they identify an account not on the right network they move it.  Something about the Galaxy S9 not being fully compatible with the T-Mobile network.  But they are working on it so they say.  If this happens again I am not going to spend hours out of the day performing countless reboots, updating PRL etc.  I am going to another carrier so this needs to be fully resolved soon.

Highlighted

I'm experiencing my Galaxy S9 only getting 3G service... SOMETIMES. Other times i get Unable to establish a network connection,  LTE for all of 5-6 minutes and back to no service and then back to 3G. Help! I also just purchased the Galaxy Active 2 which is also pointless because I can't use it without my phone even though it had its own data plan.  What is going on????? My zip is 06608 not that it matters because my phone does this EVERYWHERE and my cross street is Martin Luther King Drive and Cutter Drive. The other phone on the account experiences the same issue so its not our phones its definitely your network.

Community News

Our Community is BACK!!
Hours of Operations are 7AM - 8PM CST. Please try Searching the Community, we have many questions already answered, you can also check out the Knowledge base
If you need immediate assistance after hours please visit Sprint Chat