cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Galaxy S9 stuck on 3G, no help from tech support

Highlighted
Journeyman

Galaxy S9 stuck on 3G, no help from tech support

Ever since the text announcing how great the service would be from the merger coverage has gotten way worse, now phone is stuck on 3G.  Multiple chat supports (excess of six) all go through the same thing, update PRL, update profile, SCRTN update, reset all network connections, reboot phone, start in safe mode and none of that works.  I have been a customer since Nextel days and am on my last straw.  I even have a magic box at home that was working beautifully now phone will not connect to the magic box.  Yep, tech support call to them and get the same troubleshooting steps.  Still not connecting.  Updating the PRL will result in a connection with full bars at LTE for about 5 minutes then all connections drop stays off for about a minute and then comes back with 3G.  Extreme disappointment that Sprint can't offer anything other than reboot, reset, and update various things. Really really close to dumping them after 20 plus years, kind of sad when you think about this is how they really care about taking care of long time customers. 

37 REPLIES 37
Highlighted

Hey! Thanks for reaching out with your concern/s @ Jademe. I've reviewed the area you mentioned above & there have been multiple outages seen. It's definitely affecting you & your family hence, the service issues. Good news is, our network team is already aware of the issue & they are working on having it up & running soon. Now I know it's ongoing for a while now but some towers may take longer than expected to be repaired based on the extent of the damaged. We kindly ask for your patience & thanks for choosing Sprint, now part of T-Mobile. 

Highlighted

Sprint can you please investigate and document the fix for "Nutria57". Several of us are stuck on 3G.

Highlighted

Have tried reseting Network settings, updating PRL (Current PRL 55574), updating the profile, resetting activation ##72786#. Ordered a new SIM Card and activated. Issue persists. Samsung S9 SM-960U1.

Tower ID CR33XC227, Flint Ridge Rd, Marshville, NC 28103. One thousand feet from the tower. Front neighbor owns the land/tower.

Bands 41, 25, and 26 operating at optimal signal. Other devices and hotspots are able to connect to Band41 and pull 100+Mbps. However Samsung S9 stuck on 3G.

Can someone escalate this to someone competent please. One week stuck on 3G, and ongoing....

Can someone review Nutria57 fix, and apply to the rest of us. Tech Support chat today said I did not have ROAMHOME, and have not been transitioned to T-Mobile yet. Does anyone at Sprint knows what is going on?

Highlighted

Anyone else that can get Sprint/T-Mobile to fix their device stuck on 3G. DO NOT DELAY or POSTPONE. On the same call of service, request a supervisor and demand that the fix be added to their KMS/system so that other customers can be fixed as well. Known issue where customers shouldn't have to go through all the nonsense troubleshooting if other devices on same network next to them are getting 4G LTE. If this is indeed due to an internal Sprint/T-Mobile issue and not a customer's cellular device, it should be cataloged documented. The Samsung S9, supports all LTE bands for Sprint and T-Mobile including bands 66, 71,2, 4, 5, 12, etc. Dont let them tell you the Phone doesn't support T-Mobile network. 

Highlighted
Journeyman

Phone is still much better but periodically calls drop and when they do there is zero network connection then connection comes back as 3G.  Stays that way for 2-3 minutes then no connection then comes back as LTE.  This switching back and forth happens 10-12 times a day or more.  Really annoying. 

Highlighted

That's strange. Can you make sure your Volte is enable for me by following the steps below.

1. On the device, open the Settings
  2. In the Settings, select setting to get to the connectivity options.
  3. Locate option to enable VoLTE.
  4. Slide the VoLTE toggle to On.
Highlighted

This is exactly what frustrates the Sprint community.  Do you really believe that a setting on my phone is what is the problem?  Do you expect us to believe after no less than 15-20 chat sessions, phone calls and store visits we don't know every setting, reboot, restart, SCRTN, toggle between CDMA/LTE, Auto, switching airplane on and off, updating profile and PRN, and toggling VOLTE on and off?  Why can Sprint not acknowledge and most importantly FIX the problem with the network?  The last phone call I had with tech support suggested I needed a T-mobile SIM card, just haven't made it by a store to get one. 

Highlighted
Journeyman

Wow, just observed something never had the opportunity to before.  Phone switched to 3G, I asked my wife to look at hers, also on 3G.  I ran a speed test, 1 GB download.  A minute or two later mine switched back to LTE and wouldn't you know it, wifes switched back also almost simultaneously. Now download speeds are 5ish GB download.  Still think it is a setting on MY phone?  Fix the network!

Highlighted

well if your wifes phones is also a Samsung..then yes..its more than likely something with the phone

https://community.sprint.com/t5/Device-Solutions/Stuck-in-3G-Samsung-A11-Note-10-Note-10-Note-8-Note...

this would have been introduced roughly about a month ago via a update from Samsung..almost positive it was a security patch..

as you'll also notice that mass majority of devices being talked about in here are all Samsung devices..and in the range or devices mentioned in the link above..

I like many others come onto this site for assistance and to help others. Marking a reply as helpful or correct helps others with like issues when they try to search the site for assistance. I do not work for Sprint and my suggestions and or opinions are my own. *************************************************************************************************************
Highlighted

Good morning! Are you still encounter this issue? Also, did you follow the steps provided previously? 

Highlighted

The problem still persist, and even though I was assured through PM that I would be contacted I have not.  Sprint and others are quick to dismiss this as my phone.  Four phones exhibit poor network connections. Samsung 9 and 9+, iPhone 10, and an LG.  My 9 is not usable for internet browsing if not connected to a wifi source. 

Highlighted
Journeyman

Well, I think the end has arrived.  The local Sprint repair store looked into everything and even said now Tmobile SIM cards could be used in my phone which they thought would improve things, HOWEVER, looking at the coverage map it appears Tmobile doesn't cover my house that well, so, would lose coverage at my house.  Asked about a microcell like the Sprint magic box.  Apparently Tmobile does have a micro ell but only will provide to Tmobile billing customers not Sprint, so no assistance for me.  The local Sprint store apologized for the situation and suggest I look into another carrier.  Sad that a merger that is supposed to improve coverage and customers experience ends in a severance.  So, this week will be exploring ATT and Verizon.  Sad to see 20 years end this way, but, I see no other option.  I can't even get any high level support, really a lackadaisical attitude of "oh well, sorry".  I had hoped for more from a company that promotes positive customer experiences. 

Community News

Our Community is BACK!!
Hours of Operations are 7AM - 8PM CST. Please try Searching the Community, we have many questions already answered, you can also check out the Knowledge base
If you need immediate assistance after hours please visit Sprint Chat