cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Hotspot connection became slow and intermittent

Go to solution
Journeyman

Hotspot connection became slow and intermittent

I purchased a Coolpad Surf a week ago and it was working fine, at 15 to 20 Mbps download speed, until yesterday. There was a storm with rain and high wind, and now the signal has weakened from 5 bars to 3 bars and the data has slowed to less than 1 Mbps. Sometimes the connection drops out and I have to power cycle the hotspot. I suspect a problem with the local tower. I repositioned the hotspot to get 4 bars, but that does not correct the problem. How can I get this solved?

18 REPLIES 18
Journeyman

Re: Hotspot connection became slow and intermittent

Today the speed of the data stream is faster but the internet connection keeps getting dropped. The hotspot does not stay connected to the internet for more than a few minutes. The status goes from "Connected, secured" to "Connected, no internet." The signal strength varies from 4 to 5 bars, and the drop outs occur on either a WiFi connection or a USB connection to my desktop computer.

We can take a look into the towers in the area. What is the zip code and nearest cross streets?

Journeyman

The zip code is 08332, the nearest intersection is Daffodil Rd and Whittier Dr.

Today the connection is fast but the internet connection gets dropped after about five minutes. I have to turn the hotspot off and back on again in order to connect to the internet. Signal strength varies between 4 and 5 bars. 

It does look like the tower did have some maintenance done to it recently. Have you done a network reset on the device?

Journeyman

I opened a chat session this morning on sprint.com to try to resolve the problem and was instructed to do a reset to factory default settings and to update the device profile. After doing both, the problem is still not solved. After a random amount of time, from a few minutes to half an hour, the connection to the internet is dropped and the status goes to "Connected, no internet." Signal strength varies between 4 and 5 bars. I am not sure what you mean by "network reset." Is that the same as "update profile"?

Journeyman

Steven,

Sorry you are having issues.  Please give me a bit, I want to do some research and see if I can figure out what is happening here.  Thanks in advance for your patience.

Journeyman

Per instructions from agents on chat, I have reset the device to factory default settings and have updated the data profile twice, but the problem persists. I positioned the hotspot by a window where the signal strength is 5 bars, and it works well, with fast data speed, but then it drops the internet connection after a few minutes to half an hour. Disconnecting and connecting again in Windows does not restore the connection, and the status becomes "Secured, no internet." I have to turn the hotspot off and back on again to get an internet connection. I wonder what the next step is in troubleshooting this problem.

Couple questions... 

1. Does this happen at only during the day at certain times of the day?
  2. Have you checked on the usage on the hot spot to make sure you are not hitting the limit?
Journeyman

1. It drops the internet connection at any time, night or day.

2. My usage is at 9.47 GB on a 50 GB per month plan.

Hm sounds like we should be digging a lot deeper into it. Can you send me a PM? We can look what else we can do. 

Highlighted
Journeyman

Katey88_Sprint,

When I tried to send a pm with the information to issue a trouble ticket, I received the following message. "You have reached the limit for number of private messages that you can send for now. Please try again later."

Community News

Need Help? 
Please try Searching the Community, we have many questions already answered, you can also check out the Knowledge base.
If you have an account question you can create a post and one of our Social Care Agents will help you.
If you need immediate assistance please visit Sprint Chat