cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I have data, but no voice or text (possible network issue?)

Highlighted
Journeyman

I have data, but no voice or text (possible network issue?)

This started either late Sunday night (6/7) or sometime Monday (6/8).  The last successful call I received was Sunday night about 6 PM Central time.  My mother tried to reach me all day Monday by voice and text and I never received any of them, though I did get a voice mail from her and it showed up in my Visual Voicemail.  I was only after she emailed me sometime yesterday (Tues) that I even realized I had an issue.

I DO have cellular data service (I have wi-fi turned off just to be sure), but I cannot send or receive text messages or voice calls.  When I attempt to make a voice call, the dialer says "Out of service" and I get a pop-up notice saying "Mobile network is unavailable."

I can't even sign into my Sprint account because I can't receive the text message for verification.  Luckily the Community site doesn't require two-factor.

I do have several bars on the signal indicator and I see the 4G logo (again, I DO have data).

I took it to the local Sprint store (a Corporate store, not a kiosk) yesterday and they tried several things with network resets and reactivations, and I had already tried a Profile and PRL update and restarting several times.  Nothing worked.  They concluded it must be the phone.

So later yesterday evening I contacted Sprint support via chat within the My Sprint app on my phone.  (Again, I have data.)  She eventually come back and say that there is apparently a known network issue in my area.

So I guess, can a Sprint person confirm whether there is indeed a network issue in my area, and if so, any update on its status or eta for resolution?

Otherwise, any other ideas on my issue?

Thank you.

38 REPLIES 38
Highlighted
Sprint Social Care

Hi! It's possible the problem can be location based, but I'll need to verify. Send me your nearest cross streets and ZIP code in a private message. 

Highlighted

Done.  Thanks!

Highlighted

Got it! Checking now. 

Highlighted

if it does come down to being a network issue you can always use wifi calling to get around it at least while you are home.

I like many others come onto this site for assistance and to help others. Marking a reply as helpful or correct helps others with like issues when they try to search the site for assistance. I do not work for Sprint and my suggestions and or opinions are my own. *************************************************************************************************************
Highlighted

Unfortunately, I have an unlocked phone, so it doesn't have wi-fi calling.

Highlighted
Journeyman

Well, I'm really stuck now and don't know what to do.  I sent the phone into LG for warranty repair and they said they couldn't find anything wrong with it.  They did some sort of software update, but it didn't fix the issue.  So now I'm stuck between each side saying it's the other.

I was able to activate an older phone on my line and it works fine, so that seems to indicate that it's not a Sprint issue, but still, LG says nothing wrong with the phone either.

The phone having issues is the LG G8 Amazon Alexa version purchased directly from Amazon.

Highlighted

You may need to have that device replaced, do you have device insurance? 

Highlighted

I don't have insurance, but it's also not a Sprint carrier phone.  It's a 3rd party (Amazon) unlocked phone.  It is still under warranty with LG, which is what my last post was about, they let me send it in at no cost, but didn't find anything wrong with it.

Highlighted

Oh in that case they would have to replace the device. 

Highlighted

here is the  weird part..usually if for example the device just no longer works due to a sim card or something along those lines its usually the data side that is affected and not the voice side of things.. even though you see bars on your phone that is actually data reception..to see what its registering on the call side you would need to turn data off and then it'll show you the voice signal side...which you might try just to see what exactly its showing you compared to what you are actually getting.

did this start happening after an update by chance?

and last question...what update are you on currently?

I like many others come onto this site for assistance and to help others. Marking a reply as helpful or correct helps others with like issues when they try to search the site for assistance. I do not work for Sprint and my suggestions and or opinions are my own. *************************************************************************************************************
Highlighted

Yes, that's exactly what I thought.  I would expect to either have NO signal at all, no voice, text, OR data, or to have voice/text but not data.  To have data but no voice/text is seems very odd.

Sprint did replace the SIM.  (There is a Corporate Sprint store right up the street from me.)

Good suggestion.  I did just turn off data and I indeed still have several bars.

As far as I'm aware it was not associated with an update.  At least not a phone firmware update or anything like that.  I hadn't even power cycled the phone.  All I know is that I successfully received a phone call on a Sunday night around 6:00 PM, and I received an email from my mother on that following Tuesday morning asking if my phone was off because she had been trying to reach me all day Monday.

So it happened sometime between 6:00 PM Sunday night and sometime Monday morning.  (This was back on June 7th & 8th.)

Sprint support DID also verify that there was work on my local tower during that time, but no one else was reporting issues in my area, and I drove to the other side of town (about 20 miles) to test other towers and had the same issue.  (And Sprint said my local tower was the only one being worked on in the area.)

My current software versions are Android 10, version 820QM21b

Patch level Feb 1, 2020

Kernel version 4.14.117

Build # QKQ1.190929.002

Also remember, this is a 3rd party (Amazon) phone, so the version #'s likely won't match the Sprint carrier specific LG G8.

Community News

Our Community is BACK!!
Hours of Operations are 7AM - 8PM CST. Please try Searching the Community, we have many questions already answered, you can also check out the Knowledge base
If you need immediate assistance after hours please visit Sprint Chat