Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

In a poor reception area?

Go to solution
Highlighted
Journeyman

In a poor reception area?

Hello,

I started my Sprint service about a week and a half ago. I’m using a Moto X4 Amazon unlocked phone. My issue is I only get 1 bar maybe 2 at home. My download speeds are 1.5 and upload speeds are at .8. Thinking it’s my phone I called and received a Magic Box Gold. Hooked that up and that device was showing poor signal strength as well and no increase in speeds, so I requested a return of that device. Using the app I’m only less than a mile away from the cell tower.

Now I have a Boost mobile prepaid (non-activated Moto E4) and that shows 4 bars all the time at home. My question is am I just in a poor signal reception area? Knowing that the Moto E4 has 4 bars, is it not telling the truth since it’s not active? I can go south 1 block and east 4 blocks and get 170+ download speeds on the X4.

33 REPLIES 33
Sprint Social Care S.M.A.R.T. Agent

Re: In a poor reception area?

Hey GuppyMN! I'd like to look into this for you.  What are your cross streets and ZIP code?  Do you also have the Boost SIM card loaded in that E4? It's odd to me that it would show stronger signal than the X4.

Zip: 55110

Cross street are Ivy Lane and Michael Ave.

Thanks for that.  I'm not seeing any issues with the network in the area.  Have you tried a data profile refresh on that X4 ?

Yes. When I called for the Magic Box the lady did about a 30 minutes worth of troubleshooting with me. Doesn't seem like anything has helped.

Have you tried clearing the cache partition at all? This won't erase any data off of your phone, and I've found it can fix a number of issues without doing a full factory reset.  Here are the steps to do that. 

1. Shut down your handset.
  2. Press and hold the Power button and the Volume Down key until the device starts.
  3. Use Volume keys (Up and Down) to navigate through the menu until you reach Recovery mode.
  4. Press the Power button to choose the Recovery mode.
  5. Once you see the Android with the exclamation mark, press and hold the Power button and, while holding it, single-press the Volume Down key.
  6. Use Volume keys again to navigate through the Recovery menu and highlight ”wipe cache partition”.
  7. Press the Power button to select it and confirm if asked.
  8. The procedure should start and it will last for approximately 10 minutes.

I don't have that option in the menu. I have:

Reboot system now
Reboot to bootloader

Apply update from ADB

Apply update from SD Card

Wipe Data / Factory Reset

Mount /system

View recovery logs

Run graphics test

Run locale test

Power off

I'm on Android Pie if that makes a difference. I went into the Wipe Data / Factory reset, but that seems to reset the phone. I did a full reset from within Android when I switched over.

Thanks for that.  After some research, it looks like Motorola removed this functionality after Android 7.1.  

Which version of the Moto X4 is it? Android One, Moto Play?

It's the Moto X (4th generation) with Alex hands free. So the Amazon Prime unlocked Moto X4.

Thanks.  Let me do some more research on that particular model.  I haven't heard or read anything about any signal issues compared to other Motorola models.  Does that old E4 still have its Boost Mobile SIM installed? 

Yep! Still has the same one that came with the phone.

It's showing full signal strength, right?

Sprint S.M.A.R.T Agents
Sprint S.M.A.R.T Agent are here to help Monday through Sunday 6:00 AM CT - 6:00 PM CT. If you need to speak to an agent outside of these hours, please visit Sprint Chat