cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

In a poor reception area?

Go to solution
Journeyman

Re: In a poor reception area?

The E4 will have full or one bar down. I download an app call LTE Discovery and ran it side by side. Hope that helps. In the picture the X4 is on band 41, but is on 25 most of the time.

X4 E4.jpg

Journeyman

Also tried doing this and didn't work:

if you're experiencing data connectivity issues with higher-frequency Sprint LTE bands, such as 25/41, you can force it to use 26 (850MHZ) by following these instructions:
Install LTE discovery app and check which LTE band is giving you trouble.
Sprint got 25 (1900mhz), 26 (850mhz) and 41 (2500). 26 is the best for penetrating buildings and distance-wize, 25 is the next "best" and 41 is for capacity.
So, if your phone chooses 25 or 41 - try disabling them following instructions:
To get better data try to disable LTE Band 25 and 41. That forces it to use Band 26 which is giving much improved data/internet.
In some areas in can drop down to 3G but that is usually plenty good enough to use, you can even watch live IPTV sometimes, even when the phone shows as only on 3G. You normally get 4-6 Mb download and upload speeds in most areas. Not great speed but plenty useable.

1) To disable Band 25 open the phone app and try *#*#3282#*#* or ##3282## depending on the phone.
2) Select "LTE".
3) Select "Bands".
4)Tap on the menu, which on our phones is in the upper right corner and select "Edit". When it asks for the Passcode or MSL try 000000 which is the MSL on most of our phones. If that doesn't work you may need to call or chat with Sprint to get the MSL for your phones.
5) Select "Band 25 Enabled" and select "Off". Do the same for band 41.
6) Select "Done" and get out of the app and reboot the phone. It should now be using Band 26 

Thanks for the screenshots! Those are super helpful!  Let me keep working on this.  I've double-checked the coverage in that area, and you're right.  It's not great.  Have you tried setting the Magic Box up again?

No I have not. Just tried it on the first day I received it. After seeing the Magic Box reporting poor signal strength in a few rooms I just packed it back up. All the Magic Box did was give the phone full bars but didn't help with any speed improvements.

Sprint Social Care S.M.A.R.T. Agent

Once you had the Magic Box set up and the bars were full, did you do any troubleshooting on the phone? This may have helped. 

RedCruzr
Social Care 

Queen of Unlocks and Billing Questions. Samsung for Life!!
Kudos and Accepted Solutions are welcomed and appreciated.
Journeyman

No I did not. The Magic Box was reporting poor signal strength, and the network speed didn't improve. That is why I was a little confused that the E4 shows better signal strength but the X4 and Magic Box did not. I'm willing to try whatever on the Magic Box, I didn't return it yet. What steps would you like me to take?

Please hook it up. Once it's up and running again, power cycle all of the phones. Let me know what you're seeing at that point, 

RedCruzr
Social Care 

Journeyman

Full bars. When I run a speed test connected to the Magic Box it will only let me do one then it seems the internet dies, I cannot run another test and I have have to wait.

Did a few tests, got 8 Mbps down then 2.18 another time. Uploads I only get >1.Mbps never seen anything greater than that.

In some searching and I found an app that shows you on a map which cell tower you are connected to. Seem the X4 loves to bounce around to various towers around me, about 4 in total. I don't know if that is average for cell phones or not. The E4 seems to be content just jumps towers every so often. I wondering if it's because it down downloading any data.

I would like you to update the data profile and reset the network settings on each phone. Is there just the X4 and E4?

RedCruzr
Social Care 

Journeyman

Yes, those are the only 2 phones. What is the process for updating the data profile?

Update Data Profile:

1. From the home screen, swipe down the Status bar.

2. Tap the Settings icon.

3. Scroll to and tap System Updates.

4. Tap Update Profile.

5. Once the profile update is complete, tap OK.

6. The data profile is now up to date.

Reset Network Settings:

1. From the home screen, tap Phone.

2. Tap the Dialpad button.

3. Dial ##72786#.

4. Tap YES. The device will restart and initiate Hands Free Activation.

5. After the device restarts it will automatically perform Configuring Service.

6. Once the Configuration Service is complete, tap OK.

7. The network settings have been reset, and the device is now re-activated.

You'll use the same steps for both phones.

RedCruzr
Social Care 

Journeyman

I don't have that option in the system settings. I'm running Android Pie on the X4. also that dialing the ## command doesn't work. It just dials the phone.

Community News

Sprint S.M.A.R.T Agents
Sprint S.M.A.R.T Agent are here to help Monday through Sunday 6:00 AM CT - 6:00 PM CT. If you need to speak to an agent outside of these hours, please visit Sprint Chat