cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

It is true as Sprint users we are screwed after merger.

Highlighted
Journeyman

It is true as Sprint users we are screwed after merger.

I can not use my phone as intended for the last two month. Where ever I had 4G LTE now I get 3G and no data. I used to get 4G LTE in my house but not anymore. Constant errors like "data tethering error" , lost data connection, dropped calls, text messages can not be sent and forget about photos I do not even try anymore. Calling tech support is no help. They reset everything they can and it does not help. I was told that they are working on tower in my area so I just have to wait. It was a month ago. As i see on this forum many people have the same problem. Sprint used to be good for me but now it is a lost cause. 

Galaxy note 10 plus

73 REPLIES 73
Highlighted

that would be because device updates are carrier specific..it isnt a one update fits all type of deal...carrier specific apps get added in or abilities etc...THAT is where most issues come in..incompatibility that was missed during the manufacturers testing

https://community.sprint.com/t5/Device-Solutions/Samsung-Devices-Loss-of-VoLTE-and-or-5G/ta-p/108405...

@babysis417 wrote:

I have done this several times with no success. I just tried it again, and my phone got stuck, and will not reset now. When calling the phone, it doesn't ring and my voice mail comes on. When I tried to call out, I got an message saying my phone wasn't activated. 

I did the reset again and it worked.....but it did nothing to my service.  I was told by a Representative on the phone that there were "known issues" with the Samsung Galaxy S10, but funny I have the same phone for my work phone...we have Verizon and have NO issues.

I like many others come onto this site for assistance and to help others. Marking a reply as helpful or correct helps others with like issues when they try to search the site for assistance. I do not work for Sprint and my suggestions and or opinions are my own. *************************************************************************************************************
Highlighted

And .... still pimping the VoLTE link. 

Thats exactly what I said, except you're blaming the manufacturer? Hahahahaha. This is all SQUARELY ON T-MOBILE. Why? Because our phones were working fine, with Sprint's custom firmware and apps playing nice with the manufacturer's. In comes T-Mobile, shoves us over to T-Mobile towers and the problems start. 

@fireguy_6364 wrote:

that would be because device updates are carrier specific..it isnt a one update fits all type of deal...carrier specific apps get added in or abilities etc...THAT is where most issues come in..incompatibility that was missed during the manufacturers testing

https://community.sprint.com/t5/Device-Solutions/Samsung-Devices-Loss-of-VoLTE-and-or-5G/ta-p/108405...

@babysis417 wrote:

I have done this several times with no success. I just tried it again, and my phone got stuck, and will not reset now. When calling the phone, it doesn't ring and my voice mail comes on. When I tried to call out, I got an message saying my phone wasn't activated. 

I did the reset again and it worked.....but it did nothing to my service.  I was told by a Representative on the phone that there were "known issues" with the Samsung Galaxy S10, but funny I have the same phone for my work phone...we have Verizon and have NO issues.

There can be small "glitches" in the hardware or phone software that would make even two same model phones on the same carrier have different experiences. I think that's exactly what could be going on within the Sprint device subset and why we all are having slightly different symptoms and issues, despite having the same updates pushed to us. It also has to do with the tower technology ... which is different on T-Mobile from what our phones have been used to with Sprint towers. 

Highlighted

thats the thing though...my V60 is working perfectly fine..their 5G speeds leave you a bit wanting at times...but other than that i have yet to run into any issues..could be a combo of the update and certain towers and what they have on them/dont have on them compared to other towers...but the list of Sammy issues listed out as of late cant be a coincidence either lol.

I like many others come onto this site for assistance and to help others. Marking a reply as helpful or correct helps others with like issues when they try to search the site for assistance. I do not work for Sprint and my suggestions and or opinions are my own. *************************************************************************************************************
Highlighted

click said link and at the top where it says "phone support articles" click that...you now have all the different things that have been posted about info wise..look at the which devices have been listed over the last few months the most..main reason i keep bringing it up.

actually this link will take you right there..

https://community.sprint.com/t5/Device-Solutions/tkb-p/AndroidDevice

@StyxPhoenix wrote:

And .... still pimping the VoLTE link. 

Highlighted

It is not Samsung's responsibility to test what carriers do to their stock firmware. It is on the carrier. The carrier is the one messing with the fully-functional and tested firmware. In this case, there are multiple reasons people are having troubles ... some stem from whatever security update you keep referencing, others are from very clearly a PRL or profile update that was pushed down to the devices that now has them favoring T-Mobile towers by default rather than Sprint towers. 

In my case, I apparently don't have as bad of T-Mobile towers as others do ... because even while connected to the crappy data the T-Mobile towers are giving me, I still receive/send calls and texts just fine. I still believe without a doubt this has more to do with the switchover of towers than it does the security update. It could be that the combination of the two has crippled some devices ... but unless only some devices got the security or tower switch updates, the experience should be identical across the Sprint S10 devices or S9 devices or S20 devices. It's not, so either not everyone got the updates or not everyone has been forced to crappy T-Mobile towers.

In any case, regardless of whether the problem is only affecting a particular manufacturer, the manufacturer is not to blame for the carrier breaking basic capabilities of the phones. You said you don't have any problems on your V60 ... well, it is entirely possible Sprint T-Mobile didn't screw with the LG firmware as much ... or, that whatever Sprint T-Mobile screwed with on Samsung device firmware isn't even in LG firmware. 

Highlighted

carriers do nothing with  their firmware..carriers request what they would like added to them but thats about it..carriers dont do the coding..especially when it comes to security patches..unless a fix is getting added into the mix carriers dont touch them and even then theyre not the ones that add it in...the manufacturer is

Highlighted

... very good. And a manufacturer is not going to knowingly make changes to adversely affect their device.  Sprint is not known to be among the early adopters of firmware updates or security updates (usually among the last actually). Verizon often begins OTA updates before Sprint does. Yet here we are with Sprint having issues allegedly caused by a security update while several have indicated their exact same model Verizon phone is fine. Added to the fact that there are many T-Mobile subscribers experiencing issues ... 

This again points back to the towers and infrastructure. I am not saying a setting or two won't be different between carriers ... but I can very clearly point to my device's issues being related to the forced change to T-Mobile towers over Sprint's in my area. I cannot say this has happened everywhere across the service area, but denial of that fact in areas where it has happened is foolish.  VoLTE is forced on for my device while forced off for others. Can't help to think that is somehow related to towers and availability of that service -- but why is it greyed out so we cannot toggle it off or on? A network reset is a temporary solution as is toggling airplane mode. I can't say whether this grey out is new or has been there for a while because I've not had a reason to look at that setting until the past week or so. And I believe carriers have more control over these settings than you think ... and can push out modified files without the involvement of the manufacturer. Businesses can through device management ... so you better believe carriers have more control than needing to run everything past the manufacturer. It's naive to think otherwise ... 

Highlighted

updates are adjusted to each carrier..theres a reason why no carrier is always first to roll things out..each added in request is yet another chance something isnt going to mesh right..carriers test said updates and give the ok for it to be released or sent back to be fixed (security patches excluded however for example Verizons security patch wouldnt be the same one as ours since they must adjust them to each carrier...same with their regular updates)..

been this way for a VERY long time..heck going back further than the original HTC Evo..

anywho yeah..towers can still be a big one since were able to use both Sprint and TMO towers now..but seeing as how the main devices being mentioned as of late im still leaning towards whatever in the heck Sammy fired off that ended up hammering ALL of those listed devices. almost leaning towards the issue coming in due to them trying to adjust it all so we can use both TMO/Sprint at the same time and  flip flop between them.

over the last roughly 5+ years Sammy has been getting a bit big for their britches and have been pushing to have things more like the way Apple handles things update wise..with zero carrier touching or questions...the results? stuff like this that should have/would have been caught lol. when Apple botches it you see the same thing...from this device to this device you will be running into (insert issue here) and we recommend doing (insert short term fix attempt here) until a update is released in the near future.

Highlighted
Journeyman

I am in IT, I know the technical history and background of not only phone updates, but computers, printers, servers, software titles, etc. I get it ... regardless, you've even acknowledged this appearing to stem from them trying to get us to use both sets of towers -- which is well within the capability of today's devices. In fact, they do it all the time when roaming ... it's just now we're technically not roaming on either carrier tower equipment, they are both supposed to be equal. The problem is, the change they made didn't make Sprint / T-Mobile towers viewed equally by the phone ... it seemingly ignores T-Mobile, except if you turn off LTERoaming, in which case it ignores T-Mobile. 

I'll leave you with two images I took this a.m. on my phone, showing both LTERoaming turned off, which connects me to the Sprint towers I've been connecting to for years ... and LTERoaming turned on, which ignores the better Sprint towers and forces me to T-Mobile. As well as the speed test on both. 24.9 is actually better than it's been, but still not anywhere close to the data speeds I've been getting on Sprint and have grown accustomed to for using my hotspot or DeX for work. 

LTERoaming On - T-Mobile:

TMobileTower-LTERoamingon.png

LTERoaming Off - Sprint

SprintTower-LTERoamingoff.png

Highlighted

Update to this. I just got off the phone with Tech Support and they essentially re-assigned my phones on my account back to Sprint network. There was, indeed, an update that was pushed out to make our phones "T-Mobile ready" and while they didn't admit to it being a half-baked idea before T-Mobile equipment was ready for us, it sounds like it was definitely pushed out prematurely. 

He told me I just call them and have them switch it back when I am ready, but I guess my question is, when will T-Mobile equipment be ready? I don't want to change from what I currently have as superior coverage to the mediocre (At best) coverage I had while my phones were ignoring Sprint in favor of T-Mobile. 

There is a very elementary problem with this: Phones can roam to other carrier networks all the time. Why now that we essentially have two networks our phones should work with, is it so hard to let our phones use BOTH? It should not be a "one or the other" situation. And that goes both ways, T-Mobile customers should also be able to use Sprint towers where their towers are not the best. Why is this so difficult for the engineers to understand? Sprint = T-Mobile ... the equation isn't "T-Mobile > Sprint" or "Sprint > T-Mobile" at this point ... 

But, glad to be back to where I was a few weeks ago at least. I need to see if I still roam to T-Mobile when necessary ... it seemed to be doing that prior to them switching my device to "T-Mobile Ready". 

Highlighted
Journeyman

I totally agree I have had multiple issues since the merger and it's not getting any better.  Recently I noticed that anything I try to do on my phone since it updated a couple weeks ago "carrier hub not responding" keeps popping up.  After 20+ years with Sprint I'm ready to cancel  

Highlighted

Hi! Really sorry to hear about this. Have you tried any troubleshooting yet? Is this issue only affecting you or are others also being affected in your household? 

Community News

Our Community is BACK!!
Hours of Operations are 7AM - 8PM CST. Please try Searching the Community, we have many questions already answered, you can also check out the Knowledge base
If you need immediate assistance after hours please visit Sprint Chat