cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

LG G7 Thinq - no Android 9 (Pie) update

Journeyman

LG G7 Thinq - no Android 9 (Pie) update

So Sprint is now changing its tune on this issue, yet *again*. For the past year, the excuse has been "it's LG's fault", even though this phone has been updated to Android 9 on other carriers.

Now, according to Sprint tech support, the excuse is that the Sprint  LG G7 Thinq phones will not get Android 9 until Sprint makes 5G LTE available. What??

It would be really nice to get an honest answer about this, since we are still running Android 8.0 on these flagship phones and Android 10 has already been released. 

11 REPLIES 11
Sprint Social Care S.M.A.R.T. Agent

Re: LG G7 Thinq - no Android 9 (Pie) update

I hear Rangola. Waiting is tough. As soon as we have an update on this update, it'll be poster here: https://community.sprint.com/t5/LG/bd-p/LG

Cat
Small Scale Farmer 

Pulling issue and planting solutions.
If I was able to plant your solutions, please accept and/or kudos the resolution.
Journeyman

That's fine, but how about an explanation as to, 1) why other carriers have it already and, 2) why the sudden change of excuse to "you need 5G to run Android 9" when that doesn't seem to be the case?

GrandMaster

because you were given a cracker jack answer..

agents wont know when a update will get pushed out or why its being held up because that isnt their job..they usually know the day of release or possibly the day prior..

I like many others come onto this site for assistance and to help others. Marking a reply as helpful or correct helps others with like issues when they try to search the site for assistance. I do not work for Sprint and my suggestions and or opinions are my own. *************************************************************************************************************
Sprint Social Care S.M.A.R.T. Agent

If our higher level tech stated that is why the update hasn't been released, then that is most likely the reason. 

Cat
Small Scale Farmer 

Pulling issue and planting solutions.
If I was able to plant your solutions, please accept and/or kudos the resolution.
Journeyman

Cracker jack answers are all we seem to get.

GrandMaster

i gave you the answer as to why.

they wont have any info on ANY update until its been kicked out to them the day of or at times the day prior to the update actually being released..

@Rangola wrote:

Cracker jack answers are all we seem to get.

I like many others come onto this site for assistance and to help others. Marking a reply as helpful or correct helps others with like issues when they try to search the site for assistance. I do not work for Sprint and my suggestions and or opinions are my own. *************************************************************************************************************
Community Manager

OK, I can say with great certainty that the 5G rollout is affecting the G7 getting Pie is BS.  They don't have anything to with one another.  Not to mention the G7 is not a 5G device.  I'm willing to bet it's the same conflict we see on the G8.  I will reach out to my contacts and report back.

@Rangola wrote:

So Sprint is now changing its tune on this issue, yet *again*. For the past year, the excuse has been "it's LG's fault", even though this phone has been updated to Android 9 on other carriers.

Now, according to Sprint tech support, the excuse is that the Sprint  LG G7 Thinq phones will not get Android 9 until Sprint makes 5G LTE available. What??

It would be really nice to get an honest answer about this, since we are still running Android 8.0 on these flagship phones and Android 10 has already been released. 

Community Manager

Barring any setbacks...looks like December.

Journeyman

"OK, I can say with great certainty that the 5G rollout is affecting the G7 getting Pie is BS.  They don't have anything to with one another.  Not to mention the G7 is not a 5G device.  I'm willing to bet it's the same conflict we see on the G8.  I will reach out to my contacts and report back."

I figured as much. Thanks. Sprint and LG are in the same league - behind their competitors with just about everything. If you're saddled with both, you're going to get the latest tech last.

Journeyman

@Em_Will_I_Am wrote:

Oh, I'm sure there will be setbacks.

Highlighted
Community Manager

I'm unaware of any at this current moment.

@Rangola wrote:

@Em_Will_I_Am wrote:

Oh, I'm sure there will be setbacks.

Community News

Sprint S.M.A.R.T Agents
Sprint S.M.A.R.T Agent are here to help Monday through Friday 6:00 AM CT - 6:00 PM CT. If you need to speak to an agent outside of these hours, please visit Sprint Chat