cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

More issues in 2 months than 23 years

Highlighted
Journeyman

More issues in 2 months than 23 years

I've had Sprint since 1997, part of that time in the midwest and part on the west coast. I've literally had more network problems in the last two months than I did in the previous 23 years combined. A couple of months ago I noticed a VoLTE icon show up in the menu bar on my Galaxy S8. This coincided with network changes due to the TMobile merger. Ever since then it's been constant dropped calls, roaming all over, complete loss of signal, restart after restart, etc, etc.

From my home office, where I've worked for years with few problems, I can no longer get a reliable signal. I tried the tech support route a month ago and got the basic troubleshooting responses. The phone worked enough to satisfy tech support but since then it's been having the same intermittent problems. I tried again today and opened a new case, reluctantly because I know every call is at least a 45 minute endeavor. But my phone had shown no signal for hours so I had to bite the bullet.

no signal.png

After the usual steps, signal bars showed back up. When I attempted a call later though it would not go through. I then tested inbound calls and those failed as well. So another call back to tech support and some more troubleshooting got it working again. This time we did a ##72786# reset on the phone.

So it's working now but who knows for how long. Signal strength is not impressive:

SmartSelect_20200825-154941_Network Cell Info Lite.jpg

I'm wondering if there is anything else I could possibly do on my end to improve this situation - different phone settings, etc? And of course, the phone has all updates installed.

49 REPLIES 49
Highlighted
Sprint Social Care

That's great your service is back up and running. What you can do is ensure that the VoLTE is in fact enabled, also following the steps that were provided would definitely help. 

Highlighted
Journeyman

Well, I can make/receive calls at the moment at least. Data speed at my home office is atrocious though:

SmartSelect_20200825-164847_Speedtest.jpg

Highlighted

Understood, some steps were sent to you in next thread. Have a look. 

Highlighted
Journeyman

To add to my original post...

For the last several weeks I was seeing the VoLTE icon in the menu bar on my phone

volte.png

I've noticed now, even with VoLTE calls enabled, that icon is no longer showing

SmartSelect_20200825-170102_Wi-Fi Calling.jpg

I'm wondering if something changed on the network, or possibly my account, that affected this.

Highlighted

I'm doubting that very much but we can do some further troubleshooting. How does that sound?

Highlighted

out of curiosity..you didnt have VoLTE prior to this right?

also if you are able to use wifi at your work place i recommend turning WFC on (Wifi Calling) so you can use that as well.

the signal you see isnt the call side of things..its the LTE connection...so if that is barely there and your phone is trying to use the LTE to make/receive the call there will be issues. if you turn off mobile data the bars showing will then be the actual voice call side of it..but keep in mind its going to try and use the VoLTE to make those calls if its pulling a LTE signal.

I like many others come onto this site for assistance and to help others. Marking a reply as helpful or correct helps others with like issues when they try to search the site for assistance. I do not work for Sprint and my suggestions and or opinions are my own. *************************************************************************************************************
Highlighted
Journeyman

I've had this phone for a while and I never saw that VoLTE icon in the menu bar until a couple of months ago. I'm not certain if it was an Android update, a Sprint network change or a Sprint/TMobile merger change that enabled that feature. About the time that showed up though is when I started having all kinds of problems.

Oddly, I'm not seeing that icon now even when VoLTE calls is enabled. With WiFi disabled (to remove it from the equation for testing), I initiated a call and then attempted to browse the internet in Chrome. With VoLTE that should work, correct? It did not work though. Here's a screenshot showing a call in progress with Chrome showing Offline:

SmartSelect_20200825-234225_Chrome.jpg

Just to add some additional info here are screenshots of signal strength with a call in progress with mobile data enabled (LTE) and disabled (1xRTT)...

SmartSelect_20200825-234112_Network Cell Info Lite.jpg  SmartSelect_20200825-233938_Network Cell Info Lite.jpg

Highlighted
Journeyman

I agree with the OP's original complaint. I've had Sprint for 15 years and never had any issues like we are having in the past 6-8 weeks. Service coverage is much lower even in metropolitan areas, interstate service that used to be fine can no longer send text messages, and dropping calls frequently. Really, really disappointed with Sprint, to the point of moving on to Verizon. 

Highlighted
GrandMaster

actually..now im wondering if VoLTE was even in that area to begin with. if it wasnt there and they are now upgrading the towers to have it..which network issues would make sense if that is the case. the agent might be able to look at your area and see if upgrades are currently happening or not..

I like many others come onto this site for assistance and to help others. Marking a reply as helpful or correct helps others with like issues when they try to search the site for assistance. I do not work for Sprint and my suggestions and or opinions are my own. *************************************************************************************************************
Highlighted
Journeyman

More problems... VoLTE call on, Wi-Fi Calling on - outbound calling not working. I turned both settings off and was able to make a call

SmartSelect_20200827-221653_Phone.jpg

Highlighted
GrandMaster

cant remember if you did already or not..but mind posting your zip code and closest cross streets to your primary problem area (no physical address or person info..this will be requested via pm if needed)? also which phone you have again and its current update status (which update its currently on)

Community News

Our Community is BACK!!
Hours of Operations are 7AM - 8PM CST. Please try Searching the Community, we have many questions already answered, you can also check out the Knowledge base
If you need immediate assistance after hours please visit Sprint Chat