S8+ always roaming and LTE doesnt work

Go to solution
Highlighted
Journeyman

S8+ always roaming and LTE doesnt work

Hello. Here are the cross streets and town for reference:

Sheep Creek and Goss

Phelan, Ca.

We had a sprint store in our town for years. I got the s8+ last year and everywhere but my town I have service. I ran speed tests through speedtest.net LTE doesnt even register so speedtest cant test it. And the 3G I got 1mb down. (Even though www.google.com takes 2 minutes to load.) 

Even my slow wifi is faster than the sprint network.20180929_222227.jpg

Why would sprint have stores up here and have almost no service. I've tried updating PRL, my profile (which by the way will only update when I'm on wifi and not sprint network.)

My phone is completely up to date. Yet my wife's Galaxy Note 3 will have LTE while I'm roaming.

Anyway to fix this issue?

I used to be a truck driver, I've been all over the country. And besides, Montana, new Mexico and some of wisconsin. My home area has been the worse connection I've ever had.

28 REPLIES 28
Highlighted

20181002_130352.jpg

This is usually what happens if I turn off wifi near my home area.

And if the only solution for me is to buy a magic box just so that 1 phone on my family plan works while all the other sprint phones on my plan work just fine. That's pointless. I'll just wait the last 6 months till this phone is paid off and do something else.

I could see buying the magic box if all the phones had problems, but I'm the only one having problems and I have the newest phone (which still makes no sense).

I dont mean to sound rude but is buying a magic box the only way sprint can help with their phone/service plan? The only reason I got this newer phone (At the time) was because everyone on my family plan had service (which worked even in our home area).  And I needed a newer phone for work purposes. So I got it, was basically never home for about a year, but when I do come home I can't even use my phone. Might has well not have a cell phone at this point, it's not like I can receive phone calls most of the time anyways.

This is just annoying, I've been disabled for a short time now and this whole time I've been trying to fix this problem, that only I'm having with this stupid phone/plan.

Sweet I wanna watch Netflix or youtube on my phone, gotta drive 20 minutes into a bigger town just to watch something let alone use google.( Because I have dial up internet speed at home). Or use my wife's Note 3 Sprint phone that has good service. Pfft.

Highlighted

The Magic Box is free.  It is nothing you buy, we send it to you.  The error you posted is the result of no LTE signal, which makes sense because as the map shows, it's spotty at best.

@Dukeneedles wrote:

20181002_130352.jpg

This is usually what happens if I turn off wifi near my home area.

And if the only solution for me is to buy a magic box just so that 1 phone on my family plan works while all the other sprint phones on my plan work just fine. That's pointless. I'll just wait the last 6 months till this phone is paid off and do something else.

I could see buying the magic box if all the phones had problems, but I'm the only one having problems and I have the newest phone (which still makes no sense).

I dont mean to sound rude but is buying a magic box the only way sprint can help with their phone/service plan? The only reason I got this newer phone (At the time) was because everyone on my family plan had service (which worked even in our home area).  And I needed a newer phone for work purposes. So I got it, was basically never home for about a year, but when I do come home I can't even use my phone. Might has well not have a cell phone at this point, it's not like I can receive phone calls most of the time anyways.

This is just annoying, I've been disabled for a short time now and this whole time I've been trying to fix this problem, that only I'm having with this stupid phone/plan.

Sweet I wanna watch Netflix or youtube on my phone, gotta drive 20 minutes into a bigger town just to watch something let alone use google.( Because I have dial up internet speed at home). Or use my wife's Note 3 Sprint phone that has good service. Pfft.

Highlighted

Good to know the Box is free. That's an upside.

Second, and this I'm still confused about, is why is my newer phone the only phone having problems out of the 4-5 other sprint phones on my plan? Every other phone on my plan has service (Don't get me wrong they are old and are being phased out).  Like when the note 9 came out I told my wife she should upgrade since she has the Note 3 still. She doesnt want to because she sees all the problems I'm having with my phone. And she's like "Why get a newer non-working phone when I have an old working phone?"

So simply put why are all the other Sprint phones working fine, but mine isnt?

Highlighted

Only guessing here without looking at your account and based on what you have written.  The Note 3 is a non-triband device is attaching to the 1900Mhz spectrum.  Whereas yours is a triband device and it's designed to attach to the 2500MHz spectrum first.  If it detects any 2.5, no matter how weak, it will attach to it and hold on or continually look for it before dropping to 1.9.  If the device finds a stronger roaming signal it will attach to that and when it drops it will look for 2.5 as it is designed to do.

With that said, we cannot rule out a problem with your device because it is roaming when it is not supposed too.

Highlighted

Does the sprint stores have a way of diagnosing my phone because my wife has some errands to run tomorrow in town. And I could tag along, if they are able to help me. The sprint store in my town shut down not to long ago so I cant go there.

I just want a working phone.

Had a galaxy s4 (with Verizon and it worked in my home area) had to get the battery replaced since it was bad. They refused to do it (Even though I had insurance for it.....imagine that). So I came over to sprint.

Got a galaxy s6 from sprint( which worked in my home area) , within a year it overheated and killed itself.

And now this s8+ worked great when I needed it for work everywhere else but in my home area. Being home bound now, I kinda need a working phone for my home area.

Highlighted

Yeah, they can check it.  The closest one is in Rancho Cucamonga, like 30 miles away.

11973 Foothill Blvd
Victoria Commons
Rancho Cucamonga, CA 91730
(909) 581-1255

Highlighted

That's down that mountain for me. I'll be heading to Apple Valley / Victorville / Hesperia area. 

That's our definition of "in town". Can any of the sprint stores there do it?

Highlighted

No, the same stores pop up.  Rialto and Rancho Cucamonga.

@Dukeneedles wrote:

That's down that mountain for me. I'll be heading to Apple Valley / Victorville / Hesperia area. 

That's our definition of "in town". Can any of the sprint stores there do it?

Highlighted

Alright thank you.

Highlighted

I've been running into the same issues - not entirely sure why it's doing it but I went to the Sprint store and they updated PRL and profile and still no luck. They even swapped out my sim card. I recommend reaching out the Mobile Broadband team (okcteamEH@sprint.com) with your name and phone number and see if they can help you out. They provided me with some steps to follow - turn off domestic roaming, and if I'm still running into the issue, turn on airplane mode, turn off the phone, wait a minute, turn it back on, and then turn off airplane mode. If that doesn't work, try the PRL and profile updates. 

I haven't tried these steps yet but we might as well try.

Highlighted

make sure to go into your phone and turn on VoLTE..after the update it is not automatically switched on. might fix some of your issues. if im thinking right it should be under voice and network or something along those lines.

I like many others come onto this site for assistance and to help others. Marking a reply as helpful or correct helps others with like issues when they try to search the site for assistance. I do not work for Sprint and my suggestions and or opinions are my own. *************************************************************************************************************
Highlighted

Fireguy, VoLte is only for voice. Which I'll never use since I have dial up internet. And I don't have LTE let alone 3G at home, so It was a pointless update for me because it doesn't help me at all. It just adds another feature I can't use unless I leave my home network.

I've gone to a sprint store to have my phone checked and they can't seem to figure out what's wrong with it. All they suggested I do was pay off my phone and get a new one. 

Community News

Our Community is BACK!!
Hours of Operations are 7AM - 8PM CST. Please try Searching the Community, we have many questions already answered, you can also check out the Knowledge base
If you need immediate assistance after hours please visit Sprint Chat