cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

VPN won’t work on cellular network

Re: VPN won’t work on cellular network

Resetting the network settings should not remove anything from the phone. This is based on our documents on this process. I haven't lost any information any time I've done the process, but I'm sorry to hear that you lost the passwords.

RedCruzr
Social Care 

Queen of Unlocks and Billing Questions. Samsung for Life!!
Kudos and Accepted Solutions are welcomed and appreciated.
Journeyman

I believe it has something to do with Sprint's internet.  While I got the VPN to work to access my NAS devices by using the msfix option in the config file of the opvn app I'm using, accessing the the live view portion of my ring cameras will not work unless I use a my vpn.  The voice works but the video freezes without vpn. My home network is 1500 mtu but I have to set my vpn to 1415 (which is called "set MSS of TCP payload" in the app called open vpn for android) to get anything to work on the home network side.  Do mobile networks use a different mtu size (maximum transmission unit) that cable networks? I did all the soft resets and hard resets without a restore and the problem persists.  It's a pain when you get someone at your doorbell and you first have to start your vpn on your phone to even see who it is or talk with them.  The problem had been there since last year.  Only discovered it at the time of the original posting of this thread when my vpn quit working.  I'm on the western slope of Colorado near the Utah boarder.  We've had several network (internet) outages and maybe during repair processes, something wasn't set correctly.

Again, I'm not having problems as long as I use vpn for ring cameras or my home network using the mtu fix (which has no lasting effect) but the camera side is frustrating.

Community Manager

Honestly, this would be a question better proposed to Ring.  I can honestly say it is not the Sprint network because myself, my sister, my best friend and I believe a co-worker all have Sprint and Ring devices and can access the camera with a VPN without issue.  In fact here is a live look from my Ring camera while on Sprint and no VPN.  You will notice in the upper left "LTE" and no VPN 'key":

Screenshot_20191010-084824.png

I've seen folks have issues with Ring cameras vs Mobile Networks when they treat it like a security IP camera and turn on Port Forwarding, IP Reservation and/or UPnP.  The aforementioned is not required for the Ring because it is designed for Joe Sixpack.  I mean you can turn on and set up all that to make it uber-secure, but that would require a VPN to access and public dynamic IPs from mobile networks would not be allowed.  With that said, Ring would be your best point of contact.

@BLzNFuN wrote:

I believe it has something to do with Sprint's internet.  While I got the VPN to work to access my NAS devices by using the msfix option in the config file of the opvn app I'm using, accessing the the live view portion of my ring cameras will not work unless I use a my vpn.  The voice works but the video freezes without vpn. My home network is 1500 mtu but I have to set my vpn to 1415 (which is called "set MSS of TCP payload" in the app called open vpn for android) to get anything to work on the home network side.  Do mobile networks use a different mtu size (maximum transmission unit) that cable networks? I did all the soft resets and hard resets without a restore and the problem persists.  It's a pain when you get someone at your doorbell and you first have to start your vpn on your phone to even see who it is or talk with them.  The problem had been there since last year.  Only discovered it at the time of the original posting of this thread when my vpn quit working.  I'm on the western slope of Colorado near the Utah boarder.  We've had several network (internet) outages and maybe during repair processes, something wasn't set correctly.

Again, I'm not having problems as long as I use vpn for ring cameras or my home network using the mtu fix (which has no lasting effect) but the camera side is frustrating.

Journeyman

I am having the similar problem accessing my Samsung Smart Cams (bought from Costco 3 years ago) when using the Sprint mobile network. I can access other things but not PPTP VPN or the Smart Cams.

I also have Google Nest Hello doorbell, Wyze  Cam and other stuff that all work fine on Wifi and Sprint. PPTP VPN (native to android and to my router's vpn server).
My wife has Samsung Galaxy s8+ and I have S9 are phones we are on the same account. She can access vpn and smart cams on sprint network with out a hiccup. So at first I thought it was the sprint network but now I'm not sure. Now here's the fun part. When I am on the sprint network and start my windscribe vpn (paid vpn service with installed app) I can view my cameras just fine. Similar to you. So I think it might have something to to with TCP/ip Stack on our phones. What are your thoughts on that?

Wizard

Hello Webstertech. That might be the issue. The Sprint network is compatible with most smart cam.  

Cat
Small Scale Farmer 

Pulling issue and planting solutions.
If I was able to plant your solutions, please accept and/or kudos the resolution.
Highlighted
Journeyman

@Cat_Sprint That was definitely the problem, Thank you. It was the tun-mtu + mssfix. I was able to set them both on the client and server side. What's more impressive is that setting both to 1200 improved remote desktop connections even improving the speed. Many thanks!

simply add to config file

tun-mtu 1200

mssfix 1200    

Community News

Need Help? 
Please try Searching the Community, we have many questions already answered, you can also check out the Knowledge base.
If you have an account question you can create a post and one of our Social Care Agents will help you.
If you need immediate assistance please visit Sprint Chat