cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

When will VoLTE be available for iPhone XS?

Go to solution
Journeyman

When will VoLTE be available for iPhone XS?

https://www.theverge.com/2018/10/3/17933486/sprint-volte-voice-over-lte-samsung-galaxy-s8

It appears that Sprint is rolling out VoLTE. I live in the Atlanta area.  When will VoLTE be available for my iPhone XS Max? 

26 REPLIES
Community Manager

Re: When will VoLTE be available for iPhone XS?

We're testing VoLTE in several markets right now. No firm launch date but trust me, we will be shouting from the rooftop when we finally finish this massive undertaking.

SeaWolf
Sprint Community Manager & Customer Advocate
Captain of the Vicious Cream-puff
I encourage you to post your questions on the community, give Kudos when earned and always mark the correct answer as "Accepted Solution".

Highlighted
Journeyman

Sprint has been stating this rollout for at least a year.  When is it really coming ?  Will it be like LTE-Advanced and not available for IOS devices as well ?  Seems Sprint is catering to Android devices more than IOS devices.  I just see a trend of the newer capabilities going to Android before IOS and it will be months before IOS gets it.

GrandMaster

Sprint doesnt decide when Apple will push through an update for stuff like this or not..Apple does.

I like many others come onto this site for assistance and to help others. Marking a reply as helpful or correct helps others with like issues when they try to search the site for assistance. I do not work for Sprint and my suggestions and or opinions are my own. *************************************************************************************************************
Community Manager

There processes are a bit different but Fireguy is (mostly) correct. Although we do work closely with the manufacturers, ultimately, they each have their own review and testing process. Apple is well known for delivery high quality products and they like to ensure that their users will have the very best experience possible. This can sometimes mean that they are a little later to implement new tech or capabilities than others, but at the same time can help ensure a smoother process once it's finally enabled.

SeaWolf
I encourage you to post your questions on the community, give Kudos when earned and always mark the correct answer as "Accepted Solution".

GrandMaster

my bad.. probably should have included that part of it lol.

I like many others come onto this site for assistance and to help others. Marking a reply as helpful or correct helps others with like issues when they try to search the site for assistance. I do not work for Sprint and my suggestions and or opinions are my own. *************************************************************************************************************
Journeyman

@seawolf: has Sprint submitted functionality to Apple to enable VoLTE? If so, great and I expect consumers to get it sooner rather than later. Remember, that VoLTE already works on iPhones and has for at least the last 3 years. I can take my iPhone XS to Verizon/ATT/TM and VoLTE will just work. So Apple enabling VoLTE for Sprint iPhones should be straightforward. To me it seems more like a Sprint issue rather than an Apple problem.

If Sprint is still upgrading its network to support VoLTE, then I'm pessimistic about it landing on my iPhone anytime soon.
Community Manager

Buckhead, the work that needs to be done is being done. When we're able to announce VoLTE for the iPhone we will absolutely be doing that.  Until that time, we don't have more information to share.

Fireguy, I got you Smiley Very Happy

(Edited because when I started typing the response to Fireguy, Buckhead's reply was not there.)

SeaWolf

Journeyman

seawolf - you stated initially on this thread that it is Apple taking more time to ensure quality service on VOLTE. I have an Apple AT&T phone as well and it does have the VOLTE config available since ages. 

So, is it truly Sprint that hasnt yet figured out how to roll this out on Apple Iphones? 

Community Manager

Yes, Apple is taking more time to ensure the quality of Sprint VoLTE.  It is currently being beta tested in iOS 12.1.1.  You are welcomed to install the beta, but keep in mind we do not troubleshoot beta software should any trouble arises and you will have to be in a market where we have soft launched VoLTE.

@sarath0304 wrote:

seawolf - you stated initially on this thread that it is Apple taking more time to ensure quality service on VOLTE. I have an Apple AT&T phone as well and it does have the VOLTE config available since ages. 

So, is it truly Sprint that hasnt yet figured out how to roll this out on Apple Iphones? 

GrandMaster

incorrect..ATT as well as TMO are GSM carriers...they have had this ability for a very long time..the CDMA carriers like Verizon and Sprint have not..this is something that didnt start for either of them up until the last few years...meaning Verizons didnt either until they launched their VoLTE...which then by golly who do you think had to kick out an update so their phones could use it? as are the Android devices...they are getting their updates when the OEM's kick them out after all their testing

might be hard to digest but carriers do not make changes to how the phones read things..that is on their creators. all the carriers do is give them the info on what is needed...which they ALL have already.

Journeyman

@fireguy_6364 Verizon launched their VoLTE capability over 4.5 years ago.  My iPhone 6 on Verizon at that time was able to use it.  So iOS has had this capability for a long time. The fact that VoLTE is not widespread on Sprint is problem with the carrier.  The delay is not Apple’s fault. 

Community News

Sprint S.M.A.R.T Agents
Sprint S.M.A.R.T Agent are here to help Monday through Sunday 6:00 AM CT - 10:00 PM CT. If you need to speak to an agent outside of these hours, please visit Sprint Chat