cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

When will VoLTE be available for iPhone XS?

Go to solution
GrandMaster

Re: When will VoLTE be available for iPhone XS?

odd...Android devices are already receiving the update to use VoLTE..wonder where the hold  up could be?

I like many others come onto this site for assistance and to help others. Marking a reply as helpful or correct helps others with like issues when they try to search the site for assistance. I do not work for Sprint and my suggestions and or opinions are my own. *************************************************************************************************************
Journeyman

Odd... Android devices on Verizon had VoLTE 4.5 years ago yet Sprint Android devices only started started getting the VoLTE update about 2 months ago.  What was the hold up?

GrandMaster

because they launched it 4.5 years ago..and had all their VoLTE info given to the OEM's...so they could work it into a update...test it..fix any issues found...then kick out the update...just as they are doing with Sprints...as an example

https://community.sprint.com/t5/Samsung-Galaxy-Series/Software-Update-Samsung-Galaxy-S8-SM-G955U-10-...

https://community.sprint.com/t5/Samsung-Galaxy-Series/Software-Update-Samsung-Galaxy-S8-SM-G950U-10-...

it will come across as an update....from the OEM...like the above Smiley Wink

including from Apple

the fact that another carrier had it 4.5 years ago means zip..Sprint is launching theirs at the moment..which means the OEM's must get the updates taken care of and kicked out to their devices to get it working..THAT..is not on Sprint..that is on them to get taken care of and kicked out.

I like many others come onto this site for assistance and to help others. Marking a reply as helpful or correct helps others with like issues when they try to search the site for assistance. I do not work for Sprint and my suggestions and or opinions are my own. *************************************************************************************************************
Journeyman

Yes, I think we agree that Apple (likely) has to provide an update to enable VoLTE on the Sprint network.  My point was the the hold up (the 4.5 year VoLTE lag vs Verizon) is not an Apple issue.  That's a Sprint problem.  One can argue that the lag since October may be an Apple issue (it's unclear to me because none of us know the details of when Sprint submitted their software update to Apple).

Anyway, I'm hoping the update is in iOS 12.1.1, which is supposed to drop any day now.

GrandMaster

the lag is a easy one to explain. Verizon ran in and added what was needed onto their towers..main reason many of their areas have been having issues with data speeds for the last 4.5 years..they didnt really upgrade anything...just added on the equipment onto a already taxed network...its pretty much like running out and buying the most hard core brake pads and putting them on your car with bald tires...will it still get you there? yup...is it going to stop on a dime? not so much.

Sprint did a complete revamp of their entire network ground up..which took a VERY long time to take care of..instead of just adding it onto their already old towers they future proofed them. they are pretty much set up for 5G already minus needing to add onto the tower whatever is needed..want to guess what V is going to have to do to make that leap? lol

Apple has a Beta out that has VoLTE enabled in it..but like any other Beta..odds are its going to have some random issues in there..theyre already working on it but in the usual Apple fashion they are testing the tar out of it before they give the ok to release it.

Journeyman

Up until last December, I was a long time Verizon customer and I can tell you that overall, their LTE coverage was superb.  I rarely encountered issues so if the approach you describe above is accurate then for all practical purposes, it worked for me and my family and the Verizon's LTE.  We had excellent coverage, great LTE speed in most places and VoLTE! I switched to Sprint to save about $70/month and the difference was stark.  Coverage was medicore, I saw 3G and sometimes 1x, which was rare with Verizon.  But the service was tolerable and I was saving money.   Perhaps Sprint's approach will pay off in the future but it's an utter shame they lack basic functionality their CDMA competitor had nearly 5 years ago.   The fact that the iPhone doesn't have VoLTE isn't Apple problem since Verizon's iPhone supported it for years.  It's a Sprint issue, hopefully one that will be resolved soon.

GrandMaster

their prior devices before the X had a beta type data calling installed in them already..the X and on the Android side with the Note 9, S9 etc only came with wifi calling and not the beta data calling side in preparation for VoLTE.

anywho the above is why there was such a difference between launches with V and S.

you should have came out to Northern Cali and checked out V's network out here..the GF and kids are on V..im on S..main reason i get to see the movements or non movements of both sides lol

Highlighted
Journeyman

I'm happy to report that I upgraded to iOS 12.1.1 a few minutes ago and VoLTE is working.  Smiley Wink

Sprint Social Care S.M.A.R.T. Agent

That's awesome news, Buckhead! Enjoy the freedom of talking on the phone while surfing the web!

boom! just had to wait for them to kick it out after their beta testings were completed and things fixed. glad to hear this..soon my G6 will have it..

GrandMaster

did you have to make any changes in your call settings or was it automatic? i know on the Android side im pretty sure you must turn it on once the update pushes through. wasnt sure how it was working on the Apple side of this

Journeyman

I thought I would have to enable the setting but when I checked it was already set correctly during the upgrade to iOS 12.1.1
Community News

Sprint S.M.A.R.T Agents
Sprint S.M.A.R.T Agent are here to help Monday through Friday 6:30 AM CT - 5:00 PM CT. If you need to speak to an agent outside of these hours, please visit Sprint Chat