cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

curious network/coverage question for ya :).

Highlighted
Wizard

curious network/coverage question for ya :).

Hey there, i`ve been wondering about this for a long while, explanation, a ways back i had the chance to run some experiments on my phone (at that time i still had my Kyocera Duraforce pro, i want to re-run the experiments on my Samsung Galaxy S10 too).  What i`m kinda curious about is this, at the time i did the first test using Signalcheck pro i found out that while i was seeing roamming service via the Verizon network for voice calling i was getting my data from (according to signalcheck pro) T-mobile.  Is this possible to actually be getting voice service on one network & data from another at the same time (not using both at the same time i.e. calling while surfing the `net, but being connected to two different networks with the phone just "idling" waiting to get/make a call or surf the web)?  When i saw this happen i was like "Woah, this is definitely new, haven`t seen this before."  after that happened i started thinking about it and got to wondering.  I know that in theory this is possible, kinda like with my dualband radio, i can listen to one channel while chatting on another.  I found it rather intresting to see this, wishing i wouldda had more time to play with it a tad more but we were pressed for time and we were there to deal with "the final set" for my mom & dad.  Thanx!  TK241.

12 REPLIES 12
Highlighted
GrandMaster

i fired off a question to someone on this..has me a bit curious as well lol.

I like many others come onto this site for assistance and to help others. Marking a reply as helpful or correct helps others with like issues when they try to search the site for assistance. I do not work for Sprint and my suggestions and or opinions are my own. *************************************************************************************************************
Highlighted

Yeah you & me both eh?  After i first saw it i thought my pnone was on the sputter or my signalcheck pro app was being wonky, after i reran things i found out it wasn`t any malfunction, my phone appeared to be seeing data service on T-moblle whild voice was as expected, roamming on Verizon, which is the main carrier up in NW WI (least where my folks` old place is anyway).  Rather intresting to be sure, and i`ll await the answer to my question, it might be fun to find out if my experiment was correct :).  Thanx!  TK241

Highlighted

thats the part that isnt making a whole lot of sense though..unless your phone has two different antennas (the majority of devices now only have the one) then technically it should only be pulling from one source..unless thats when its flip flopping since you wouldnt have VoLTE in that scenario..at least i dont believe you would be pulling VoLTE from one of those two.

I like many others come onto this site for assistance and to help others. Marking a reply as helpful or correct helps others with like issues when they try to search the site for assistance. I do not work for Sprint and my suggestions and or opinions are my own. *************************************************************************************************************
Highlighted

I wa thinking that too, that ether my unit had two antennas (not too likely given how thin today`s cellphones are) or it was flip-flopping between the two and what i saw was that flip-flopping thingy.  Like i said, intresting when i saw it the first time, next time i`m back up there i`ll have another go and let ya know what crops up :), the first experiment was fun, and taught me a lot about how my little-thin handset works :).  TK241.

Highlighted

it will be even more interesting once the merger fully goes through and they light off whatever it is they have up their sleeves.

Highlighted

You know it :)!  Know this though, it`ll take YEARS for both Sprint and T-mo to actually suss out that network thingy, they gotta figure out that roamming thingy too.  Sometimes i wish it were like in my radio hobby, everyone that owns a repeater allows every licensed amateur operator to use it, no roamming (unless you count back in the days of old cellphones when we had what was known as an autopatch, which basically turned the repeater into a quasi-cell site and ya could make phone calls if you had the right access codes), this Sprint/T-mobile merger thingy is gonna be like an exploding starship if they don`t get this right, so i think this will take MANY years to suss out.  But once they do get this all shaken out it`ll be big fun seeing how our phones cope with this new landscape hehe.  TK241.

Highlighted

i almost think it will be as it is now just vamped up a bit. so Sprint phones will still pull the usual Sprint signal but when it comes to roaming the TMO side will be more aggressive and pushed as the primary roaming choice over anyone elses..

im only spit balling it here though...im a bit excited to see how they re planning on doing it one way or another..

Highlighted

I am too to be honest :).  What i wouldn`t mind seeing is the case where if one is roamming on the T-MO side it would count as partner roamming and not count aganst your roamming limit (if any) or data limit (again, if any) that way you would have service in an area where Sprint service might not be the best (minimal signal from the Sprint site, but booming signal from a T-MO site, the unit would choose the "louder & prouder" signal in that case).  This should be a treat to watch, just to see how this grows up :).

Highlighted

i was stoked to watch things go from wimax to LTE... (not including the upgrade pains obviously lol)..but just watching the changes that were happening and with that the future proofing to make things easier to be added on down the road.

this will be another one of those

Highlighted

the other thingy i`ll be curious to see is how our handsets will cope with the changes that will come when Sprint & T-MO finally get together for real.  Again, know that this is all still in the "talking about it over sodas" stage, there`s still a group of state AG`s that wanna sue to stop this, so this ain`t done by any means.  Methinks just getting past this freight train of the state AG`s will be the biggest bit, after that we can start to see just what they`ll do with the networks.  Hoping they get this one right, that last go-around with the Nextel thingy was, to put it nicely, a bit of a bad joint on the tracks.  We don`t need anymore of those :).  Now that said, i`m waiting to see how the network bit shakes out, like i said, i wouldn`t mind seeing T-MO counted as partner roamming, that way one wouldn`t hafta worry about blowing the roamming limit.  TK241.

Highlighted

OK, I can answer.  Once the merger was announced, it included a data roaming agreement with T-Mobile.  This agreement stays in place if the merger goes through or not. We also have a data roaming agreement with ATT.  Based on your PRL, your device will look for Sprint, T-Mo, then ATT, then others, and VZW is dead last.  Actually, I do not believe we have a data roaming agreement with VZW, but they are dead last choice for voice given the fees they charge.  

Now back to your experiment.  I assume this was on the S10.  Triband devices do not connect to voice and data at the same time.  In the past, we have voice chips and data chips, but now we have one chip that does it all, but it can only do one thing at a time, hence no simultaneous voice and data.  I believe the last device that had separate chips was the HTC M3.

So, how it works, when the phone is sitting idle, it "nests" in 2.5GHZ LTE or band 41.  When a call or text comes through, the network says, "Yo, you have a call and/or text, drop down to the voice channel and get."  The phone will drop to a band 1 or 10, complete the voice call or retrieve the text and goes back to nest in 2.5 LTE.  In the past, we used eCHFB and noticed some paging issues and primarily use SRLTE now.  SRLTE nests in data and then drops down to voice to check for calls or text and goes back to data.  It does this every certain number of seconds, I forget what it was, but I want to say it's every 55 seconds.  Don't hold me to that.

I'm not familiar SignalPro, but methinks it is displaying the last voice channel it was on when it dropped down to check for calls and/or texts.  In short, it is not connected to a VZW voice channel and TMo data channel simultaneously.  I hope this helps.

@TK241 wrote:

the other thingy i`ll be curious to see is how our handsets will cope with the changes that will come when Sprint & T-MO finally get together for real.  Again, know that this is all still in the "talking about it over sodas" stage, there`s still a group of state AG`s that wanna sue to stop this, so this ain`t done by any means.  Methinks just getting past this freight train of the state AG`s will be the biggest bit, after that we can start to see just what they`ll do with the networks.  Hoping they get this one right, that last go-around with the Nextel thingy was, to put it nicely, a bit of a bad joint on the tracks.  We don`t need anymore of those :).  Now that said, i`m waiting to see how the network bit shakes out, like i said, i wouldn`t mind seeing T-MO counted as partner roamming, that way one wouldn`t hafta worry about blowing the roamming limit.  TK241.

Community News

Our Community is BACK!!
Hours of Operations are 7AM - 8PM CST. Please try Searching the Community, we have many questions already answered, you can also check out the Knowledge base
If you need immediate assistance after hours please visit Sprint Chat