cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

curious network/coverage question for ya :).

Highlighted
Wizard

curious network/coverage question for ya :).

Hey there, i`ve been wondering about this for a long while, explanation, a ways back i had the chance to run some experiments on my phone (at that time i still had my Kyocera Duraforce pro, i want to re-run the experiments on my Samsung Galaxy S10 too).  What i`m kinda curious about is this, at the time i did the first test using Signalcheck pro i found out that while i was seeing roamming service via the Verizon network for voice calling i was getting my data from (according to signalcheck pro) T-mobile.  Is this possible to actually be getting voice service on one network & data from another at the same time (not using both at the same time i.e. calling while surfing the `net, but being connected to two different networks with the phone just "idling" waiting to get/make a call or surf the web)?  When i saw this happen i was like "Woah, this is definitely new, haven`t seen this before."  after that happened i started thinking about it and got to wondering.  I know that in theory this is possible, kinda like with my dualband radio, i can listen to one channel while chatting on another.  I found it rather intresting to see this, wishing i wouldda had more time to play with it a tad more but we were pressed for time and we were there to deal with "the final set" for my mom & dad.  Thanx!  TK241.

12 REPLIES 12
Highlighted

Actually that does help, it explains why i might have been seeing what i did, as to what unit i ran it on, that was back when i still had my Kyocera Duraforce pro (nice unit, but the OS was starting to break down & i needed to upgrade to something nicer, hence the Galaxy S10, which i like).  Sounds like from what i`ve been reading (and thanx guys for the help :)) our phones still use what i know from my radio/scanning hobby as a "control channel" where the handset waits for a page to get a text/call.  Back in the good ol` days you had only analog voice, if your nasty big bagphone couldn`t see a "c-chanel" on any site (ether home or roamming) it would give ya the dreaded "NO SERVICE" message, or it might keep scanning ad nauseum till it beeped & went into that "NO SERVICE" thingy.  I think even the units we have now will still do that, although they`ll fight to hold that tower (i know my S10 will anyway) before going into no service land.  Honestly this all has been great fun, i`m still learning today even though i`ve had a cellphone for years (still remember my first one, an analog handheld unit, a Uniden one, nice phone, but very basic, but it did one thing well, getting & making calls).  I`m still amazed at what`s happened in the comms world in cellullar & the two-way radio world, i cannot wait to see what crops up when Sprint & T-MOBILE decide to dance together hehe, this should be a blast :).  TK241.

Community News

Our Community is BACK!!
Hours of Operations are 7AM - 8PM CST. Please try Searching the Community, we have many questions already answered, you can also check out the Knowledge base
If you need immediate assistance after hours please visit Sprint Chat