cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

dead signal

Journeyman

dead signal

I still have this issue with my SE.  I have copied and pasted my post from last year for review.  I temporarily solved this by using an Airave.  Unfortunately, I had to change internet service providers to a satellite provider.  The Airave will not work with a satellite.  Nor will wifi calling.  I need to get this issue with my SE fixed.  Someone, please help!

Posted last year:

I just found this community and I'm hoping somebody can help with the issue I'm having with my Apple iPhone SE. The address we just moved to does not have Sprint service. But it does have extended service. I used to have an Apple iPhone 4S and it worked okay as far as getting service, just slow on data. My wife and I both upgraded our phones shortly after moving here. I got an iPhone SE and she got a Galaxy S7.  Now her S7 works perfectly.  My SE is another issue. I've been to the Sprint store numerous times and they can't fix it. They gave me a phone number to contact Apple and said they would have Sprint check the towers. Apple tried to help, even replaced my phone to see if that would help but I have the same issue.  While at my home, my phone only works on extended service. If it is picking up the Sprint network it is dead. I can't make calls, I can't receive calls, I can't make or receive text. The signal indicator is constantly changing from 1, 2, 3, even 4 bars of Sprint service and every few minutes will change to extended service. It will remain on extended service from a few seconds to a minute or two. If I have to make a call I have to sit and wait and watch the screen and wait for it to change to extended service. When at my home, my phone will show Sprint on the signal indicator even though Sprint says there is no service in this area.  The SE will only work while being on extended service. Now if I get in the car and drive 10 miles to an area that does have Sprint service, the phone works fine on Sprint service.  Can anyone help?

11 REPLIES 11
Sprint Social Care

Re: dead signal

Good morning! Sorry to read you are having issues. Let's take a look at the area around you. Please post your closest cross streets and ZIP code so that we can further assist you.

Jeffrey
Sprint Social Care
Journeyman

Zip code is 26704, nearest crossroads is Delray Road and Braeburn Drive.

Sprint Social Care

ftut. The reason you are experiencing issues is that Sprint does not offer coverage in this area. We have agreements with other companies that will provide service in that area. However, I'd like to check, is your software up to date, have you tried resetting the PRL?

Palmira
Sprint Social Care
Journeyman

Yes, I know Sprint doesn't have coverage.  But my phone is picking up a Sprint tower, or so it thinks.  Please go back and read the original post.  Up in the top left corner of my screen, I can have up to four bars and it says Sprint.  When I see this the phone is effectively dead.  If I wait a few minutes it will switch to Extended Network and then the phone works fine.  Please review the original post and thanks for trying to help.

Sprint Social Care

Hello @ftut,

Based on the address that you're referring to, it does show that you're currently on an extended coverage area where one of the closest towers around there is at least 10 miles away. It seems that the phone is attempting to pick up the signal from one of the nearby towers, but is constantly failing since they're too far. By any chance, have you tried performing an update to your data profile?

Joel
Sprint Social Care
Journeyman

Joel,

This problem has been going on for so long that I don't remember if that has been done or not.  I will travel to a Sprint service area today and give it a go, then report back.  Thank you.

Highlighted
Sprint Social Care

@ftut,

You can try to perform these steps once you're at a Sprint service area and let us know how it goes.

1. Tap Phone icon.
  2. Tap Key Pad if necessary.
  3. Enter ##873283# then tap Call icon.
  4. When Starting Service Update appears, tap OK.
  5. When Service Update Complete appears, tap OK.
    • The Radio will reset.
    • When Sprint displays in the top left corner, the iPhone update has completed
Journeyman

I updated the data profile.  It was no help.  Unless someone can fix my SE my options are to switch from the iPhone to a Galaxy or switch carriers.  Since I still have a year of payments to make on the SE that's not a good option.

I have, in the last year, noticed that this problem is not just at my home address.  It happens any time I travel in a non-Sprint area.  Or it could be any time I travel on the fringe of a Sprint area, I'm not sure.  When I look at the Sprint coverage map I sit in an Extended 4G LTE area but I'm only about 300 feet away from a 4G LTE Fair Signal area.  So it could be that I'm having this problem anytime I'm within a few hundred feet of a Sprint area.  It is a Sprint/Apple problem.  My wife's Galaxy works like a phone should work and I'm getting tired of missing phone calls because my phone is dead.

Sprint Social Care

Hey @ftut, let's try one last thing. Please do the following:

1.Tap Settings.
2.Tap General.
3.Scroll up and tap Reset.

4. Tap on Reset Network setting

Let us know how it goes.

Jeffrey
Sprint Social Care
Journeyman

OK, I've reset the network settings.  It was no help.  For the heck of it, I just picked up my phone and set a timer checking how often it switches from Sprint to Extended.  Remember, while it's on Sprint, the phone is dead.  No calls in or out.  No text messages in or out.

Sprint, 1 minute 20 sec

Extended, 1 minute 0 sec

Sprint, 2 minute 12 sec

Extended, 1 minute 0 sec

Sprint, 3 minute 4 sec

Extended, 4 minute 29 sec

Sprint, 1 minute 11 sec

End of the timer, 15 minutes of my life I'll never get back.

Sprint Social Care

Good morning @ftut, we would like to take a closer look into your options. Please check your inbox and reply to the private message I just sent you.

Jeffrey
Sprint Social Care
Community News

Sprint S.M.A.R.T Agents
Sprint S.M.A.R.T Agent are here to help Monday through Sunday 6:00 AM CT - 6:00 PM CT. If you need to speak to an agent outside of these hours, please visit Sprint Chat