cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

iPhone 8 - won't connect to LTE only 1x

Go to solution
Journeyman

iPhone 8 - won't connect to LTE only 1x

Our family just switched to Sprint this week. We have (2) Samsung Galaxy S8, (1) Google Pixel 2, and (1) Iphone 8 sprint version.

All phones connect fine to 4G LTE except the iphone 8. It will periodically connect to the LTE and show LTE, but then drops and only shows 1x. Again, all other phones will show strong LTE connection except the iphone.

I've tried doing a hard reset, removing and re-inserting the SIM, AND updating the data profile and PRL via:

1. From the home screen, tap Phone.

Note: This will update both the data profile and the PRL.

2. On the keypad, dial ##873283# and tap the Call button.

3. Tap OK.

4. Tap OK.

5. The PRL is now updated.

Nothing has worked. I've searched the other posts but there isn't a clear answer. The most I've seen is sprint asking for a cross street and zip code. Again, all other of our phones have decent coverage (although Sprint's LTE speeds don't remotely compare to the speeds and coverage we got with ATT).

I'm hoping someone else has gone  through this and has an actual answer other than resetting the phone/PRL. Thanks.

9 REPLIES 9
GrandMaster

Re: iPhone X - won't connect to LTE only 1x

it sounds like either a device issue or a SIM card issue. are there any Sprint repair stores in your area or possibly an Apple store?  mainly in hopes that they might have another SIM card to try in the phone.

I like many others come onto this site for assistance and to help others. Marking a reply as helpful or correct helps others with like issues when they try to search the site for assistance. I do not work for Sprint and my suggestions and or opinions are my own. *************************************************************************************************************
Journeyman

Thanks. I will find a Sprint store and go in and see if replacing the SIM card does anything. Wondering if I just took the SIM out of my pixel 2 and put in the Iphone and see if that would work as well?

GrandMaster

dont quote me on it but i think the sim card must match up with the device in their system. one of the site agents here will have the answer to that one..but if one device out of multiple are seeing issues in the same area as the others then that points at the device in question and not network. you mentioned hard reset..are you meaning a factory reset or something else?

I like many others come onto this site for assistance and to help others. Marking a reply as helpful or correct helps others with like issues when they try to search the site for assistance. I do not work for Sprint and my suggestions and or opinions are my own. *************************************************************************************************************
Journeyman

Yes, completely reset the phone back to factory settings and then started again.

I might be inclined to agree with you on the device being the problem if there weren't so many issues of the iphone alone having LTE connection issues and many users reporting their phone can only get the 1x connection...

GrandMaster

start with the sim card getting swapped out..im leaning towards it still but i have ran into a few threads here and there about connection issues with the X...not as many as one would think if it were a more wide spread issue though.

Community Manager

I agree with @fireguy_6364 , it's device specific.  If I were to guess, it's either the incorrect SIM and/or incorrect Apple Policy.  PM me your phone number and I can check both.

Journeyman

Thank you all for your help. I took the phone into the nearest Sprint store, where they put a new SIM into the phone and did some other resetting on the phone that I'm not sure about the particulars of.

All in all, the phone is MUCH better now. While it still isn't as good as our other phones, at least it's not jumping to the 1x all the time. I'll just chalk up the lower speeds and it not going back to LTE as quickly when it drops to 3g or 1x (when we get back into good coverage), as an Apple thing vs. a Sprint thing.

Again, I really do appreciate the help you all provided. Cheers.

GrandMaster

*tips hat*

shucks..twerent nothin...tis what the site is here for.

more than likely they did a network reset so it forced all saved network info out of the phone and made it search out everything fresh with the new sim card in place.

Highlighted
Community Manager

Sweet!  Glad to hear!  

Community News

Sprint S.M.A.R.T Agents
Sprint S.M.A.R.T Agent are here to help Monday through Sunday 6:00 AM CT - 6:00 PM CT. If you need to speak to an agent outside of these hours, please visit Sprint Chat